Will my camera setup pass tech?

madriders86

I'm using a gopro with the suction cup mount on my gas tank. I secured it with a piece of para chord (550. You know the type.) from the arm on the suction cup mount to a d-ring, which I clip to the fairing stay.

Sound ok?

sobottka

:pics:

may be ok but (being that i just saw a suction cup camera red flag one of my sessions) pics would help
why use the suction cup mount, its not really for bikes is it?

upnadam

(or just wait till after tech to mount it :D )

Nah, it'll be fine, you've taken more precautions than others I have seen.

Zippy

The tether might just make it a winner. Fred Duncan was saying that you really need to have a tether for a backup in case the mounting fails. He said some other things about cameras littering the track that I won't repeat here.

madriders86

Forgive me. Couldn't find my regular camera so I used the gopro :banghead:

I chose to use the suction cup mount because I felt like the sticky mount would end up mostly filming my steering stabilizer, and when I want to tuck I didn't want to have to worry so much about ramming my chin bar into the camera :D

Here's a pic:
20i9c3n.jpg

That particular part of the gas tank is flat, and the suction cup feels pretty secure there. I think it's reliable in general if used properly. I seem to remember gopro having videos up on there site with it in use on an F1 car or something.

This setup puts the camera up and over the bars/gps and into the windscreen. I like it so far:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SFmC7yKj9o

Now I want an HD type :mad:

Also, the picture doesn't really show the string I tied it off with to the d-ring too well. It's there in the shadows somewhere. So, even if the suction cup comes loose, it's not going anywhere.

erick1670

you good there.

I have taken 3 vids on the tank with the suction cup with out anything on it to hold it, without issues. For my next time I am safty wiring b/c I`m putting it on the side of the fering it feels secure but just to be sure

BigBird

madriders86;158133 wrote: Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to make the video quality better? Perhaps a better memory card?
memory card is only space not better rez. the GoProHD FTW

erick1670

madriders86;158133 wrote: Does anyone know if there's anything I can do to make the video quality better? Perhaps a better memory card?
wich gppro do you have?
wich memory card do you have?
in what setting do you have it?

Mine is the HD, Kingstone card and I set up in the 3 or 5 resolution setting

madriders86

Mine is the gopro wide. The card is a SanDisk 2gig sd card.
Were there other settings for the recording with the wide? I haven't looked at the directions in a while :)

madriders86

Zippy;158123 wrote: The tether might just make it a winner. Fred Duncan was saying that you really need to have a tether for a backup in case the mounting fails. He said some other things about cameras littering the track that I won't repeat here.
Missed this. Thanks for the input!

erick1670

madriders86;158142 wrote: Mine is the gopro wide. The card is a SanDisk 2gig sd card.
Were there other settings for the recording with the wide? I haven't looked at the directions in a while :)

Check on that and see if they have any updates for your camera it may help

noobinacan

I run mine on tank with safety wire to GPr mount.

I run mine at 720p.
60fps

at 1080p its 30fps
so I decided to stay with 720p...good enough quality. and better framerate.

dlockhart5x

last year at dealer expo the go-pro rep at the parts unlimited area explained that on the go pro housing there is a gap in the hinge where you can slip a safetywire loop over the hinge pin

slowpoke

upnadam;158117 wrote: (or just wait till after tech to mount it :D )

^^ I realize you're joking around, but it's a good opportunity to remind people to please bring their bikes to tech exactly as you expect to ride them on the track.

We recently had someone add a "custom mod" after tech which led to a crash. Fortunately, it was a single bike crash w/out injury, but if we saw the mod in tech, we would've addressed it and avoided a crash. (was not camera related)

Thanks -