windshield - make your own for track?

awhicker

Has anybody ever made the windshield themselves? The windshield I got with the bike looks like thin plexiglass or clear plastic. Where to buy it? I'm going to check out home depot tonight.

Thanks

rk97

i've seen people pick up cheap cruiser shields and trim them down, then mount them kind of opposite of the way they're intended.

but you definitely want something DOT approved if you're going to take it up to track speeds...

clearance at various parts sites should get you something semi-ready-made for under $30. plexi would cost you almost as much, and scratch more easily.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Here's a little story......
I'm down at Barber in November 2006. I had a little lowside in turn two and the bike faired extremely well, except for the broken windscreen. I had a 2000 R1 with R7 bodywork. Other than the museum, no one has R7 windscreens on hand. I found an ICON shop up the road that has windscreens. I just want something that I can cut up and make it fit. They had a windscreen in a bag without any markings on it. It was close enough and I said "How much?" The salesman said $130. I said you're out of your mind! He then said he could mark it down to $80 and I told him to stick it! They didn't even know what bike it was for. I went next door to a Lowes and bought a flat sheet of plexiglass for $9. I took it back to the track and started up the Dremel. By the time I was done, it looked absolutely perfect. You couldn't tell it was handmade.
I don't recommend this for everyday use, because it won't withstand the constant pounding. But it worked perfectly all day.
The moral of this story is anything can be done. Whether you choose to attempt it is up to you.

p.s. You can pick up Pit-Eck windscreens for $39 delivered. I have one on my 2005 R1 and it is very nice.