WTB-2005/2006 ZX6R motor

Merle

I just need the long block, I messed up my transmission on my 2005 ZX6R at RA and the repair cost more than a salvaged engine would cost. If you know any one that has a 2005 / 2006 ZX6R motor, I sure could use it to repair my bike for the rest of this season.

Thanks!

My direct email is merle106 at cox dot net

BigKid

Merle, transmission problems and Kawisakis go hand in hand. You would be better off having your transmission repaired and BACK CUT. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for another transmission problem. Do some searching and you will find lots of broke kawi transmissions on track bikes.

Dave_636

You shut your mouth!!

I still have my fingers crossed that my 05 ZX6R transmission won't go bust. Only way to know for sure is to keep riding it at the track :D

Meat

Yep the 636 tranny feels like butter and has the structural integrity of butter as well.

Dave_636

Every time I miss a shift I think to myself 'ah crap this is it time for a new transmission'

Hasn't happened yet but I have been looking around to see what parts from my 05 will fit on the 07/08 model :p

Sorry for the threadjack though. My opinion is keep an eye on eBay, I've seen complete transmissions sell for around $100-$120.

Merle

BigKid;50533 wrote: Merle, transmission problems and Kawisakis go hand in hand. You would be better off having your transmission repaired and BACK CUT. Otherwise you are setting yourself up for another transmission problem. Do some searching and you will find lots of broke kawi transmissions on track bikes.
I am ignorant when it comes to the transmission repair, what does BACK CUT mean? And do you believe it is less expensive to fix the transmission than to replace the motor. There is a secondary problem, the shift shaft coming out of the case has some play in it and the mechanic said its not the bearing but the case is worn where the bearing sets in the case, and the entire bearing is moving, its not play in the bearing itself.

My thoughts were to replace the motor and this would fix both problems and not require all the cost of the labor to fix the motor I currently have.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Merle, the main problem you will get with a used engine is the possibility of it's transmission being crappy too. I know another previous 636 owner that bought an entire bike to fix his problems and they reoccurred for a total of three times. He's on an R6 now.

Back cutting the gear dogs is just shaving some metal off the dogs to make them engage more. Basically, you put a slant to the face of the dog so it can't slip out. It's more of a visual thing and I can't find a photo online that acurately shows it.

rk97

Merle - I know an old (cranky) retired racer who will undercut your trans for you. You'd have to ship it to AR though...

PM me if you want his info for a price quote or whatever. he may or may not be looking for work, but I am sure he'd be priced reasonably and do a good job, or be straight with you about your best/cheapest option if it's not him.

- Chris

Joe Vital

the kawasaki gears are already backcut. that is not the problem, the problem is they need to be shimmed as outlined in the kawasaki racing kit manual for that model. simply put you have to measure the clearances as specified on the kit manual. then using the table provided determine which shim is required and then order that part from kawasaki. the kit manual provides the part number.
if you are lucky all you will need is a new shift drum. if not you will need some gears. the parts will not cost as much as a salvage motor.

the shimming works, the backcutting makes for a less reliable transmission.

it would be cheaper in the long run to have the transmission in your bike sorted out, as the salvage motor will likely fail the same way at some point.

needasixr

Merle,
I just rebuilt and reshimmed the tranny on my '05 636. Was about half the cost of a used motor. I had to replace EVERY gear on the output shaft too...
Gears about $500, shift forks about $140, and the shims for the race stackup were about $50. I broke down and threw on a different shift star and a beefier spring ($150). The shift drum was good. I have an electronic copy of the race manual if you want it.

Dave_636

Joe Vital;50590 wrote: the kawasaki gears are already backcut. that is not the problem, the problem is they need to be shimmed as outlined in the kawasaki racing kit manual for that model. simply put you have to measure the clearances as specified on the kit manual. then using the table provided determine which shim is required and then order that part from kawasaki. the kit manual provides the part number.
if you are lucky all you will need is a new shift drum. if not you will need some gears. the parts will not cost as much as a salvage motor.

it would be cheaper in the long run to have the transmission in your bike sorted out, as the salvage motor will likely fail the same way at some point.
That's good info, never heard that before. Nice to know it's not a random crapping out of the tranny and something can be done about it if you act soon enough.

eE jeremy

05/06 transmissions are NOT backcut and that is why that year range is particularly bad. I've tore mine apart last winter and fixed it, second year since the rebuild and no problems thankfully, i did install a shift star to help prevent the damage this time around though.

Also on the 05/06's the shift forks pretty much always need to be replaced, shift drums are about 5050 and same with gears, if you catch it early you can salvage those parts usually.

Joe Vital;50590 wrote: the kawasaki gears are already backcut. that is not the problem, the problem is they need to be shimmed as outlined in the kawasaki racing kit manual for that model. simply put you have to measure the clearances as specified on the kit manual. then using the table provided determine which shim is required and then order that part from kawasaki. the kit manual provides the part number.

Merle

needasixr;50592 wrote: Merle,
I just rebuilt and reshimmed the tranny on my '05 636. Was about half the cost of a used motor. I had to replace EVERY gear on the output shaft too...
Gears about $500, shift forks about $140, and the shims for the race stackup were about $50. I broke down and threw on a different shift star and a beefier spring ($150). The shift drum was good. I have an electronic copy of the race manual if you want it.
How many working hours did it take to get the motor out, pull the transmission and put it back together. Can a guy with mechanical abilty but with no experiance working on a motorcycle transmission do this with out buggering it up?

Merle

needasixr;50592 wrote: Merle,
Larry, send me a copy of that manual if you will, I might just see if I can fix this myself.

Thanks!

Merle106 at cox dot net

Joe Vital

Merle, I sent you a Kit Manual.
If you don't already have one get a shop manual for this bike. You will need it to do the job. Good luck.
As for your ability to do this, you'd have to be the judge. It is not a trivial job, but if you have good mechanical sense and are careful...

Merle

I dropped the motor Saturday, that took me forever! I am so anal about marking all the connections so they go back easier. 4 hours start to finish, I decide right then I did not want to split the cases and dive into that transmission. I've never pulled one out, and I only imagine hundreds of little pieces laying all over my garage floor with numbered small pieces of blue tape on the parts. Forget it! I hauled the motor to Redline performance in Yorktown VA and dropped it off. Dave the wrench there said he could get this tranny tore down, and rebuilt with all the new parts needed and back to me in a week for $1,200. I thinking that is a very safe bet for me! I no I would end up boogering something up, and then the dang thing not shift at all once I put it back in the bike. Thanks for all the help, the PDF manual was a big help.