WTB Aprilia RS250

JTRC51

Going to be in the Market for a TD bike and would like to try a 2smoker. I have always wanted a RS250 Ape so let me know if you have one (details please) or know of one.

Thanks,

I live in IL and don't mind driving to get it but not too far...

dlockhart5x

Good luck with the search

I drove from the chicago burbs to DC overnight to get mine

Keep a eye on the AF1 forums and be prepared to buy as soon as you find one you like.
They are rare and not many are for sale in the USA at any one time.

some guy #2

Aren't the street versions pretty weak? I don't think there are any Cup bikes for sale for cheap. Maybe a TZ250 or NS250 would be a little easier and less $$ to buy?

JTRC51

markhamilton;230472 wrote: bump for a good guy to deal with. how's it going juan
Mr. Hamilton!! How are you sir? All is well over here, still trying to get over to your part of the world some day my friend.

Hope all is well! Thanks for vouching for me.

some guy #2;230488 wrote:
Aren't the street versions pretty weak? I don't think there are any Cup bikes for sale for cheap. Maybe a TZ250 or NS250 would be a little easier and less $$ to buy?
Yeah I would really the CUP version if possible..

dbakerpa

I have been tempted a couple of times too. I hate when they buzz by me on a corner- not used to getting passed that fast on my SV. They look like a riot. I would post up on the CCS ASRA forum

jlambui402

This will be quite a haul but check with Travis at Go Race Suspension. They are in Cristiansburg Va. 540-392-0696 go-race.com. Its been about a month since ive been in there but he had a rs 250 not sure if it was a cup bike though. Good luck.

some guy #2;230488 wrote: Aren't the street versions pretty weak? I don't think there are any Cup bikes for sale for cheap. Maybe a TZ250 or NS250 would be a little easier and less $$ to buy?
I know were a TZ250 is for sale for 4500, which is good price, but the 250's have gotten expensive to run. The Honda RS250 is rediculious to run in sprice. THe TZ Is cheaper.Also, the Aprila is nothing like the TZ and RS they weigh less and have way more power.

When people have asked about the TZ125 I have, I tell them the 125's are bit easier on the wallet or do what the OP is doing. Get the Aprilia as it may not have the power, but the maintenance schedule is longer and still a fun bike :)

BZ

JonnyZ!

Just some general info on the Aprilia RS250. Just about every bike that is here in the US is a "cup" bike and can be determined by their VIN. (Not 17 digits) There are a few that slipped in prior to 98 (I had one) that was 17 digit and retained a "street" harness. Lights horn etc.
The whole "CUP" idea was Aprilia trying to introduce the 250 to the US. The easiest way to do so was to start a new series and bring them in as "RACE only". Most US bikes are >98 and are here as a result.

The Bike
Aprilia in traditional style, took an already existing power plant (Suzuki RGV250) and did a little tweaking . Primarily in the castings (they say Aprilia ;) ) and the majority of rgv engine components swap over. The BIG difference is the chassis and swinger which are soley Aprilia and probably one of the best handling /strongest platforms out there.

You'll generally get 54-59 horses out of em in stock (engine) trim and really, that's the best way to keep em. You can trim a LOT of fat with typical "race " add ons, clipons rearsets exhaust . This will most likely have been done. There are a few RGV250 "race mods" that can be done to them that will squeak out some extra ponies but not really necessary. There is a "RGV kit" manual that I think I still have on CD that in the event you get one will gladly forward to you. They're basically jet and forget and if retaining the oiler pump, just gas and go. They run pump fuel (93) and can go 2 seasons between rebuilds.
Cranks are getting quite difficult and pricey to acquire and there is good support for pistons/rings

Try to get a low mileage (crank) bike or rebuilt motor and your golden (chassis mileage is irrelevant)

Apriliaforum is a great place to shop and hang as well. Set an alert on ebay to let ya know when something lists.

They REALLY are fun capable bikes I remember running VIR Patriot with a good buddy ( he was on a cup bike too) and as we came up over the uphill we split some guy on a 600. Scared the Piss out of em. We were "battling" the whole session and as we came in, we were laughing so hard that my buddy fell over in the pit....bike and all! The guy on the 6'er searched us out to laughingly tell us that we spooked the hell out of him and get a closer look at the "weed whackers" that blew buy him. SO MUCH FUN!

Good Luck!

gkotlin

racingxtc7;230588 wrote: "Wink" has one that I think he'll part with
I'm not so sure. HE LOVES THAT BIKE.

I wish I had the money to rebuild the top end and race that thing! I'd love to get good on it. I have heard cranks are getting hard to come by.

There are a number of things to help keep costs down. They make heads with replaceable inserts. So when you blow a cylinder and damage the head, you just swap the insert, not the whole head. MUCH CHEAPER.

dlockhart5x

The tuning works in the UK has crank rebuild kits now and Kevin Murry told me his labor for a perfect MCE rebuilt crank would be about $400

Which reminds me I need to order a bunch of go faster goodies from the Tuning works guy

JonnyZ!

dlockhart5x;230680 wrote: The tuning works in the UK has crank rebuild kits now and Kevin Murry told me his labor for a perfect MCE rebuilt crank would be about $400

Which reminds me I need to order a bunch of go faster goodies from the Tuning works guy
Thought the issue on rebuilds was the center case seal..(Not available through Aprilia).... Has this issue been resolved:confused::confused:

EDIT
I see it in the rebuild kit!

A little cheaper to get a crank (us)$675 than a kit +rebuild labor$360+400. Looks like it comes with outer mains too.. Nice! (I just paid $180 for a set of Rotax mains....ouch!)

An MCE rebuild would be on the money in respect to "true". Heard the factory stuff can be pretty far off spec. Truing a tandem crank can be tricky......

EDIT EDIT
Wow! Support via the tuning works is extensive......... I remember when they were basically powervalves and heads.

dlockhart5x

JonnyZ!;230682 wrote: Thought the issue on rebuilds was the center case seal..(Not available through Aprilia).... Has this issue been resolved:confused::confused:

EDIT
I see it in the rebuild kit!

A little cheaper to get a crank (us)$675 than a kit +rebuild labor$360+400. Looks like it comes with outer mains too.. Nice!

An MCE rebuild would be on the money in respect to "true". Heard the factory stuff can be pretty far off spec. Truing a tandem crank can be tricky......
It is pretty close to or close enough to even money and I have a few "timed out " cranks laying around so I am going with Kevin.