WTB Lap Timer

BonesDT

The XT Racing Ultra-Lap is the most popular and probably one of the cheapest. www.xtracing.com It's the one the NESBA vendor sells too. You can get it anywhere from $175-200 not including the computer cable, software or transmitter/beacon. I never saw it get a bad review.

The Mini-Lap is only $100-120, but the infrared sensor is built internally (the Ultra-Lap has an external sensor). This complicates the installation location, you have to locate the unit where you want to see the display and have a clear view for it to pick up the beacon. Also, the screen looks harder to read.

If you want the real deal stuff, you can get GPS based systems (no need for track side beacons). If you got the proper Nokia phone, this is the way to go: www.racechrono.com. I'm dying for an app like this to come out for the iPhone.

BonesDT

Do you want to be able to see your times while on the track?

The purists/safety minded will tell you not to. So if you just want to review your times after the session, the XT Racing Mini-Lap would be fine, you could mount it on the tail, just like Moto GP.

The Mini-Lap holds plenty of laps (I think 50). If you want to be able to download them and make spreadsheets of your times, then you'll need to upgrade to the Ultra-Lap.

If you want to see your times live, then www.aimsports.com MyChron has the largest display, with Ultra-Lap in second place.

psychocycle

Does anyone know about the lap timer that comes equipped on the 06 07 R6? Is it going to work with a transponder from the track or is it worth buying aftermarket?
Thanks, Chris

BonesDT

The lap timers that come with new stock bikes are more appropriately called stop watches. You push a button to start it, then push it again when you think you are crossing the starting line. You don't need any transponder. As you can tell, this isn't very accurate.

You want an infrared lap timer. These systems require the main receiver unit you install on your bike and it will also require a track side transmitter/beacon. I don't think most tracks have track side beacons set up, but apparently, there is usually at least someone who always brings a transmitter (they all work with all receiver units) to the track, but you can spring the extra $50 for your own to be safe.

Another kind of lap timer is magnetic. This will pick up magnetic strips built into the track. These are really nice if the track has these, but I don't know any tracks that do, and I don't know how you find out either.

The ultimate kind is GPS. You don't have to rely on a trackside beacon or strips built into the track. Satellites figure our where you are and you can set up as many checkpoints as you can dream of. Down side is the huge price.

psychocycle

Thanks bones! I think an xt racing lap timer is what I'm looking for. Appreciate the help. I think I'm going to order one now.

jpaulsen

I've got both. It really depends on what you are looking for as to which one would fit best. If you're just looking for lap times the mini is really simple. You do have to manually turn it on, but then it times automatically. It does store fewer laps and has fewer features. The pluses are it is only one piece (rather than two mounting points) and the IR receiver is on both sides. If centrally located (tank, tail, etc.), it would pick up beacons on either side as tracks vary. The two piece unit is more for breaking down and analyzing data, splits, etc. I bought my mini while at an out of state track because I forgot to pack my regular one. Not a bad unit for $100 IMO.

psychocycle

I am not going to use it til The Beav on the 17th. I just hope someone sets up a transmitter. Most likely they will, right?:dunno:

psychocycle

Just received my xt mini timer and I was wondering were can I mount it on the bike. My first thought was to put it on the tank but I think I need a clear sight line to the transponder and I think my arms would cover the IR. So is the tail the next best place, but then I cant see it, but I guess I should keep my eyes on the track instead of my lap timer. I could see coming into turn one at Beave a little late because I was to busy thinking of lap times, and that could make for a bad day if you run turn one wide at that speed. Any suggestions would be great. I have an 07 R6 and maybe some folks have it mounted differently than the tail.
Thanks, Chris:dunno:

jpaulsen

Lap timers are for looking at your times when you pit, not for looking down at during your riding. No different than looking at your speedo while you're riding. You want your eyes on the track!

psychocycle

Xt mini used on the track on Sunday the 17th worked out great. Except for the battery going dead about an hour into use. Good thing backups were on hand. It worked well other than one lap it didn't reset, I think someone was in the way. But highly recommended and it was worth the $100.
Thanks, Chris