XBOX(es) are in da house....now what?

mrh372

DesmoLin;227551 wrote: The SBK series has always been catered more towards the simulation side of racing as opposed to the MotoGP series that caters more towards arcade style racing. That being said, SBK does offer an arcade mode that makes it play more like MotoGP.

SBK offers a ton of set up options for your bike so you can customize it to your playing style or if you're just really into tuning your suspension. If you like the way MotoGP2 played, you might not like SBK X either. I think you should consider getting MotoGP08 which is probably closer to what you're used to with MotoGP2. I've played 09/10 and prefer 08 much more.
Thanks for the input. I'll have to check 08 out.

-mike

warregl

Hey Gorecki,

Since you like the old school shooters, I would recommend Borderlands (it has a coop mode but I've not played with anyone). It's a FPS with some character leveling up, tons of fun guns, and a quirky sense of humor. If you are interested in trying open world games I love the Assassin's Creed series and Red Dead Redemption was very well done.

And another +1 for Portal and Portal 2 (which does have a coop ode that got rave reviews). I never would have thought I would enjoy it based on the descriptions but I bought The Orage Box for Half-Life and gave Portal a try for S&Gs. I ended up playing all evening until I finished it. :)

Best,
Carey

Daddyjama

Newest halo
Newest cod
Newest street fighter
Newest dirt( rally racing)
Dead island was good but started taking along time and gets boring repetitive.

Monopoly and trivial pursuit( for the laaadies :)

Motogp didn't have a game for Xbox in 2011 was pissed. Crossing fingers for 2012

fitz

Bah, consoles games are just dumbed down versions of PC games. Well, now ALL the games are dumbed down because of consoles. :banghead:

Anyway, I got MotoGP 08 and SBK for kicks and giggles, the family tried to get into it but it got boring REAL fast, nobody has touched it since.

Look into some of the games that can be played cooperatively, those are by far the most enjoyable to play as a family.

Right now we have 6 PCs LANed together (with Vent) in the house with a great connection, nothing like jumping on a server and totally owning the other team then hear the other team whine about it "stop stacking the teams with your clan!" I laugh, and just say "Not a clan, worse..." :D

I agree denbsteph, but unfortunately up here in PA winter sucks so we make do until spring comes.

fitz

Gorecki

fitz;227617 wrote: Bah, consoles games are just dumbed down versions of PC games. Well, now ALL the games are dumbed down because of consoles. :banghead:
Yeah and admittedly I prefer the PC still but after years of chasing the tech to be able to play the next what ever, it got old. I still host servers on our network for CoD2, CodWaW (special zombie mod) and Unreal Tournament for whenever the family wants to bust out and have a frag fest. But it just doesn' t happen as much anymore.

I played the campaign on MW3 last night for a little while. Not bad, not bad at all! Still think I'm gonna struggle with the controller for a while but to be expected I guess.

I appreciate everyone chiming in, by all means continue! :cool:

fitz

Gorecki;227622 wrote: but after years of chasing the tech to be able to play the next what ever, it got old.
I know what you are saying there is nothing simpler than consoles (that's why they are popular), and it has been frustrating in the past that I almost gave in. BUT Goreki that is a thing of the past, the tech has ironically leveled off thanks to consoles, I haven't upgraded any of the PCs I have in a couple years and each one of them plays everything perfectly fine.

I find it impossible to go from a KB mouse to a game pad, feels like all my limbs, an eye etc. has been removed.

BTW you are talking to gaming relic, WAY back in a day I used to play video games over the phone lines BEFORE the internet, even competed for money playing Quake. Needless to say my boys grew up playing FPS, RTS games. One of my boys is a Computer Science major and hopes to some day be involved in programing games.

If it can be played on a PC, we've played it. :)

I've heard talk about something called TV, moving pictures that you can't control, madness I say. :dunno:

fitz

Gorecki

fitz;227629 wrote:
BTW you are talking to gaming relic, WAY back in a day I used to play video games over the phone lines BEFORE the internet, even competed for money playing Quake. Needless to say my boys grew up playing FPS, RTS games. One of my boys is a Computer Science major and hopes to some day be involved in programing games.
Yep, did the same stuff way back when (not for $$$ though), even hosted a multiline BBS for a long time, remember going from 2,400 to 14.4k was like WOW!! :D My thing for the longest time was Mech Warrior.

I will build a gaming rig when it's practical and we've moved. Part of my problem over the last few years is where we live really doesn't have the space. Our lease is up in May. I've got a full digital recording studio and 22 guitars in boxes. I've been primarily using a laptop for the last 4 years while my servers are cramed in a corner in the basement. :eek:

FWIW, the game development world is often not the most practical. I strongly considered going that direction as I was already writing mods and making maps for existing engines and even wrote my own 3D game engine as a project. Long story short what I found was jobs (that involved pretty difficult stuff) were paying around half or even less than I was already making doing considerably easier work without the 18 hour days. The problem is there are zillions of kids wanting to do the same thing so when they are getting picked up, it's often cheap. For someone young where pay scale isn't all that important it may work out fine, but often they do get worn out and burnt out. But it's cool stuff if someone can make money at it.

Gorecki

Well I thought I throw in an update since this started.

I've been primarily playing CoD MW3 and (against advice) Skyrim. Yeah, all that's been said about Skyrim is true. It can pretty easily suck a person into a dark cave dweller type state but I’ve managed to moderate my sessions (so far). ;)

MW3 has been pretty good! Campaign is longer than I was expecting and a variety of fun widgets to drive, fly, shoot. Prudy cool! Once I’ve burned the campaign a couple times, I'll be looking for some online frag’n time.

Also picked up SBK X (which I haven’t played yet) and have The Orange Box on the way.

Having fun with a new toy even though I gladly pushed it aside last weekend to ride most of the day Saturday. :)

warregl

I liked CoD MW3 as well, since most of the FPS one player campaigns are so short (I think I got ~7 hours out of Rage) it was a nice surprise. And it looks like I may have to give Skyrim a try, by all reports it delivers on the playing time!

I'll be curious to see if you like Portal once you get the Orange Box. As a FPS guy first, I was surprised I liked it as much as I did.

Gorecki

warregl;227987 wrote: I liked CoD MW3 as well, since most of the FPS one player campaigns are so short (I think I got ~7 hours out of Rage) it was a nice surprise. And it looks like I may have to give Skyrim a try, by all reports it delivers on the playing time!

I'll be curious to see if you like Portal once you get the Orange Box. As a FPS guy first, I was surprised I liked it as much as I did.
I finished the campaign last night, it offered to push me over to Special Ops so I played with some other person for a little while. Gawd, I suck with this controller! The other dude needed to pick me up off the ground like 5 times before we were done and called it a night. Still having fun with it.

Portal came yesterday so hopefully I'll be able to talk the wife into having a go at it this weekend and will let ya know!

fitz

Another co-op game with two people is Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, me and my wife had a riot playing the game, it's cheap too.

You need decent controller skills or your partner is going to die a lot, and that we did. I don't think I've laughed so hard playing a game "OMG I hit the wrong button again, and now you're burning in lava....again".

fitz

Gorecki

fitz;228211 wrote: Another co-op game with two people is Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, me and my wife had a riot playing the game, it's cheap too.

You need decent controller skills or your partner is going to die a lot, and that we did. I don't think I've laughed so hard playing a game "OMG I hit the wrong button again, and now you're burning in lava....again".
We'll look into that. Appears it can be downloaded from the xbox market. Just the way you described it made it sound either fun, or frustrating (depending on the person). :D

If things are typical I expect the Croft model has huge mammalian protuberances! :wow:

portal2

Gorecki;228202 wrote:

Portal came yesterday so hopefully I'll be able to talk the wife into having a go at it this weekend and will let ya know!
you are gonna love it.
unless your wife is a gamer, I'd start w/1person to get the hang of it. it wasn't easy for me and I're very intelligence.
the 1p and 2p are similar, but also have BIG differences.

let us know how you like.

apparently online play is avail, but I cannot imagine doing a 2p w/o headsets. players can signal w/visuals, but talking (aka yelling) is key. sitting right beside someone is hard enough. (that's what she said)

warregl

Gorecki;228202 wrote: ...Gawd, I suck with this controller...
Like you I was a computer-based FPS guy. When I bought the PS3 I almost gave up on shooters, I even tried a Fragenstein mouse/controller (not worth the $90 IMHO). Eventually I got moderately competent with the controller - at least enough so I don't give myself motion sickness trying to line up a headshot. :eek:

games

I bought the Orange Box game which contains 5 games:
Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2: Episodes One and Two, Portal and Team Fortress

Portal 1 is HARD. way more difficult than P2. there's more precise aiming and timing in 1 than 2. still good.

I just started Half Life. so far, I suck.

and I bought Halo Anniversary. daughter grace played first; it looks great.

Gorecki: any news on Portal2 for you?

Gorecki

warregl;228279 wrote: Like you I was a computer-based FPS guy. When I bought the PS3 I almost gave up on shooters, I even tried a Fragenstein mouse/controller (not worth the $90 IMHO). Eventually I got moderately competent with the controller - at least enough so I don't give myself motion sickness trying to line up a headshot. :eek:
Crap, I never responded to this and thought I did. I'm getting *better* but still suck, ranked up to a 33 in MW3 on the weekend, but I can't accurately hit a damn thing to save my life and only a handful of times ended a round with more kills then deaths. :rolleyes:

The one thing I've found I actually believe will work is a XIM
XIM3ProductShot.jpg

But they're pricy, all sorts of cabling required. Currently I'm wireless and liking it so I'm going to continue to tuff it out and just get better with the damn contoller.

zenpixel@yahoo.com;229116 wrote:

Gorecki: any news on Portal2 for you?
None! Still have the orange box in shrink wrap, couldn't get a playmate over the weekend to save my life. :(

So, like I said earlier, I geeked out on CoD quite a bit. I've got like a dozen invites to join clans already! :D

warregl

Gorecki;229127 wrote: ...But they're pricy, all sorts of cabling required. Currently I'm wireless and liking it so I'm going to continue to tuff it out and just get better with the damn contoller...
I hadn't seen that but I'm sure if I had I would have tried it. I was so frustrated I started playing other types of games, at least with a new style of game I was ok with the fact that I sucked :D. And I discovered I enjoyed the action games (Assasin's Creed being the first) but then (for me at least) they are more about the story line than being a crack shot.

Let me know if you end up trying the XIM, I'd be curious how well that works.

Gorecki

warregl;229149 wrote: I hadn't seen that but I'm sure if I had I would have tried it. I was so frustrated I started playing other types of games, at least with a new style of game I was ok with the fact that I sucked :D. And I discovered I enjoyed the action games (Assasin's Creed being the first) but then (for me at least) they are more about the story line than being a crack shot.

Let me know if you end up trying the XIM, I'd be curious how well that works.
It's pretty clear now the thing that bugs me the most is view movement is completely different with controllers. With a mouse, it is a constant rate, you move this much, it moves that much. With the controller, the more you push the analog stick in any direction the faster it moves (variable rate) making a person (like me) end up dancing around the target.

With the XIM I highly suspect it works just on concept alone. It's a dedicated small computer designed to interpret input from one device and through translation of configurations act as the other device. As its sensitivies and options are completely configurable a person can make it do exactly what they want with what they want! Again, downfall in my eyes is it's wired besides being a little expensive. So I don't plan on getting one, at least not quite yet. ;)

games

we got Twisted Metal
http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=twisted+metal+ps3&hl=en&client=safari&rls=en&prmd=imvns&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1542&bih=942&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=1291075747056007075&sa=X&ei=ihdNT-iqG4WoqgHhl9zFDg&ved=0CFYQxBUwAA#ps-sellers
for PS3.
it rocks. total chaos from the first second. many different vehicles (including a motorcycle and a helicopter), each w/different special weapons. pick up all kinds of weapons/health as you cruise around different tracks and unleash on the enemy!

highly recommended.

I finally got Portal 1. awesome. very similar to 2. get it.

I put Rage aside for now, as I am into halo. I finished H1, then got Halo3 for $5.
also excellent.

warregl

I was looking at Twisted Metal. I may have to try that one if I ever finish Skyrim. You guys weren't kidding, that is one seriously large game!