XT Lap Timers - Obsolete?

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
In the last 2 years, GPS style lap timers that provide significantly more usable data have become more consumer cost friendly...so my question is are XT lap timer still used? Coming back this season after 18 months off, I didn't mount my XT timer on my new bike and when I was thinking about doing so for the NJMP Endurance Day on Tuesday was wondering if anyone ever puts out a beacon anymore for these.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Folks are still using them. I still use a really old model. Last year there was a beacon out at all the events I was at. I have a beacon I put out if no one else does first.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

some guy #2

There has been a beacon out at every trackday/race I've been to. I even have one but no tripod/car battery to run it. They are old but way way cheaper than the GPS units.

JRA

dark nater;242925 wrote: In the last 2 years, GPS style lap timers that provide significantly more usable data have become more consumer cost friendly...so my question is are XT lap timer still used? Coming back this season after 18 months off, I didn't mount my XT timer on my new bike and when I was thinking about doing so for the NJMP Endurance Day on Tuesday was wondering if anyone ever puts out a beacon anymore for these.

Before long they will be like VHS or some other technology that has been surpassed. Initially people resist due to cost, but then the price starts coming down and people realize that the benefits easily justify buying the new product. I have three old style XT timers and an XT Pro that I've had for a little over two years now. I never use the older ones at all. I guess I should sell them before the time comes where I can't give them away, lol.

noobinacan

I still use my lap timer my old school lap timer, but I'm only allowed to run it for two sessions...and only in the afternoon.

speaking of which, anyone running a data logger ?

JRA

And...the biggest problem with a beacon is that somebody keeps forgetting and leaving it at various tracks, and then not realizing it's missing until it's needed again. If you have a GPS unit you won't have to depend on the hope that that someone remembered to pick it up at the end of the last event, lol.

Meat

I know when I am putting down a new lap record and I sure don't need some laptimer to tell me otherwise.

Jiggy

Control Rider
XT laptimer = fun meter. Just ask TyrannaSotdorus. Get the GPX PRO. The 'optimal laptimes' data is priceless.

JRA;242948 wrote: And...the biggest problem with a beacon is that somebody keeps forgetting and leaving it at various tracks, and then not realizing it's missing until it's needed again. If you have a GPS unit you won't have to depend on the hope that that someone remembered to pick it up at the end of the last event, lol.
should I ask you how you know?