Yamaha feedback

seatec

2010 Yamaha R1 impressions.

First, a little bit about me so you can gauge my experience level.

I started riding on the road about 5 years ago and went straight to the deep end with an 05 Busa. Yep, I sure did. I manage to survive that decision and went to learn and stay out of trouble. Then the track bug bit me by reading other people accounts about theirs and went out to buy a 07 zx10. Yup, same stupid decision again. lol. I did my first track weekend at Jennings GP about 3 years ago on the zx10 and had a blast. Went back for my second weekend and low sided in turn 13 (yep turn 13) . All was fine. Broken pinky and sheered off sato rear set. No biggy but an eye opener. Did a few more track weekends after that without incident. Also went up to barber with the 10 and had an absolute blast and think I learned a lot. (NESBA Novice).

Now for my evaluation of the 2010 R1. After coming of the zx10 (btw. Had the zx10 suspension re sprung front and back and oil changed in forks to accommodate my size which is 6’4” and 245 lbs) which does not want to turn and has a light switch for a throttle I have to say that riding the R1 is smooth sailing. Power rolls on smooth and is very predictable. Ergo’s are very well suited for a big guy like me and feels like the bike was made for me. My legs have plenty of room to move around and the tank doesn’t hamper in any way. The cluster is clean and easy to read. Big fat Gear indicator in the middle is great but for some reason I always know what gear I’m in which wasn’t the case on the zx10. Shift light is very bright and easily programmable for whatever rpm you want.
The suspension stock was way to soft for a guy like me and something had to be done. Back to that later.
The R1 reacts well to steering input and dive right into turn. The R1 does seem to wander a little bit in long sweepers but I attribute that to the crappy stock tires which are not the same as the retail version of the same tire and the suspension not having the range to be adjusted for a Clydesdale like me riding it. The brakes are adequate but get a little spongy after heavy use so going to braided lines is advisable. What California law stops the bike manufacturers from putting on braided lines form the factory? J/K but it can’t be that much more, can it? Anyway, replaced the stockers with Spiegler lines and the sponginess went away. The master cylinder had too much travel for my taste (yes, it was bled right) so I threw on a Brembo rcs 19 Master with the 18 – 20 option. I keep it at 20 all the time because I don’t like to much travel in my brake lever. The stock calipers feel very good and short of replacing them with high end Brembo mono’s not much improvement is desired. Remember, I’m a huge guy in terms of sport bikes and need all the braking power I can get.
The suspension needed work in a bad way for me so I considered my options. Just re-spring the shock and forks and change maybe the valving and fluid. Or throw in a cartridge in the forks with the right spring for my weight. Nah. Had a friend who had a rear TTX and front R/T forks for sale and I jumped “in” it! (get it, from the commercial with the Russian dude?). The bike has transformed into a monster.
The bike is very compliant and well behaved in turns , under deceleration and acceleration in and out of turns. Never had a better bike in that regard. For you guys who are normal sized I am sure that a simple tune and maybe a re-valve for the front would do miracles for you and change the way the bike handles.

As for the engine all I have to say is WOW. The power comes on like a V-Twin and revvs out like an I4. I feel I have the best of both worlds. What a smooth bike this is. The only gripe I had for the stock drive train setup was that I felt that I was always between gears when riding through traffic and maybe hitting the back road twisties. So I decided to go down 1 on the counter sprocket and voila. She’s perfect.
One minor issue though. Why does it seem to run so hot? My z10 usually ran around 180 in traffic but the R1 goes up to 220 sometimes? Even after I got rid of the cat and stock exhaust and threw on a y-pipe and Graves and also changed the fluid to water wetter. No big deal. Just a curiosity.
As for esthetics I have little to complain about. The R1 is a work of art IMHO. Besides those huge cans of course and the attached heat shields. Lol. What a joke. Anyway, those are gone now and have been replaced by some graves duals and she looks and sounds like a rock star and I wouldn’t trade her for the world.

I hope this review gives some of you a little insight but mainly I wrote it as a worship to my most favorite bike. Lol

~Anthony

PS. getting the free NESBA bucks was nice bonus for buying the R1.

trailmug

2008 FZ6 (though I guess it's going the way of the dodo) - Great multipurpose or first sporty bike (I didn't say first bike :)), save for a couple of things.

Pros: Nice dual-personality motor tuning, good tradeoff; excellent brakes; undertail exhaust you can't burn anything on, and the seat doesn't get hot; very pretty naked engine packaging; nice wide sidestand doesn't sink into blacktop; center stand; interchangeable wheels with the R6 (did someone say takeoffs?); 48MPG; 30k miles, no repairs, runs like new; very comfortable

Cons: Slips out of 3rd sometimes with a clutchless upshift; 1->2 gear spread is too far, and is met with a hard chock no matter what you do; engine snatches badly when rolling on the throttle, which picks up the too-soft fork mid-corner.

2008 YZF-R6 - Sharp and screamy in the spirit of a 600 track bike without much compromise.

Pros: wonderful gearbox and ratios; big, usable overrev range; sharp stock geometry doesn't need massive changes for track use

Track cons: no steering damper; stock fork works hard; foot pegs need way more traction

Street cons: very long first gear; very high cruise RPM; high seat height; thin, wussy sidestand that sinks into asphalt (I don't care about any of these); turning circle radius is HUGE due to large ram air duct; fork still moves a lot on the street -- the clickers adjust how firm the bouncing is. :)

A gear indicator would be a welcome addition to either, though I don't consider it a huge deal. I do not think I would enjoy having an R6 for everyday street use (I used to wonder what the R6S was for, and now I sort of don't). For track use, I have nothing left to want. The FZ6 is my everyday driver, and it's exactly what I want for this -- comfort with the ability to jam some on-ramps, merge quickly, slice traffic, and then burn up the center stripe of my takeoffs on my way to work. :)

Leoist

Tank on R6

I bought the R6 bec it was the only (Japanese make) sportbike that I could hold onto with my knees, bec of the wide tank with a lip on the top of it. I might have considered the R1, but they made it without the lip on the top of the tank.

All the other makes, especially those that make bikes with a narrow tank, are making a mistake in thinking that narrowness is an asset. It's not, if you're taking the bike to the track or doing aggressive sport riding with the bike. Check out the tanks on the Ducatis, those are the best of all; not too wide, not too thin, have a very pronounced lip. That's what you need on a race bike.

One other thing about the R6 -- this one a negative: Removing and then reinstalling the rear wheel is royal PITA, bec of the way the brake caliper slots in. Someone has to come up with a way to make swapping out the wheels on a stock sportbike much easier. The rear wheel on the R6 is especially bad. Should take 1 minute to install the wheel, but getting the brake caliper lined up takes freakin' forever.

Leo

j_fuggin_t

Leoist;154674 wrote:
One other thing about the R6 -- this one a negative: Removing and then reinstalling the rear wheel is royal PITA, bec of the way the brake caliper slots in. Someone has to come up with a way to make swapping out the wheels on a stock sportbike much easier. The rear wheel on the R6 is especially bad. Should take 1 minute to install the wheel, but getting the brake caliper lined up takes freakin' forever.

Leo
try it with a honda ;) your gonna get that with ANY sportbike unless you go out & get captive spacers

jcoop6357

Bought a 2010 R6 love the way the bike rides it just has no low end. I would suggest what to do but people here where I am can not even tell me. But other than that love the bike.

TomCat63

Hi all,

Big shout out to the Yamaha folks and Nesba for the demo ride program, Thanks! I now own several Yamaha products, FZ1 street, FZ6R wifes, 3 TT-R's and an inverter generator. I enjoy each one and will upgrade my track bike to Yamaha as well at some point.

I would also like to upgrade my FZ1 to something new. It's a great street bike but it's time for a refresh. How about a new genIII FZ with that crosspplane R1 motor? I really expected something to change for the FZ this year and hope the FZ8 doesn't end up replacing it next year.

If you build it I will buy, and I think many others would as well.

Thanks again for a great product!

GapRider

I love the 07 R1, awesome power compared to my 03, slipper clutch is awesome, transmission gear ratio spacing perfect, that beautiful intake howl, killer brakes, sweet inline 4 scream, it's a 600 on steroids, to me, a perfect race/track bike. I wish I had another one in storage for when I wear this one out.