Yamaha r1

derickyee

What do you guys/gals run in your bike? i.e. performance modifiers?

For my 2006 R1 I have installed:

A&R Baffles
BMC Race Air Filter

Up next:

Power Commander
GPR Stablizer
Velocity Stacks

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Here's what I have on my 2005 R1:

Full Ti Mychron system
Power Commander III
Quick shifter
Graves velocity stacks
K&N filter
GPR damper
Penske triple out back
Traxxion Dynamics AK20's up front
Brembo master
Vesrah SRJL-XX pads
Braking wave rotors
Lithium Ion battery
STM slipper clutch
Motion Pro Revolver throttle
Fren Tubo brake lines
PP Tuning multi-adjustable rearsets
Cox radiator guard

You've got a way to go and a lot more money to spend!

derickyee

Ouch! That's is a lot of money to spend! I wish I had that money. LOL! Kind of difficult to spend that money when I'm makin' a Harley note also. But, all in due time...

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Generally, one doesn't just go BONZAI NUTS and order all those parts all at once that Jim's mentioned. He's added different things to his bike over the course of a couple years.

Maybe you make a list of things you want to do, prioritize it, then save up money to acquire each modification.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Actually, for track riding, the best money you can spend is getting your suspension sorted for you, steel braided brake lines, decent tires, then spend the rest on track time. On your list, the stabilizer/damper would be a good idea. Power commander would be ok to smooth out the throttle response. Any other engine mods...I wouldn't bother right away. You just started track riding? Do the suspension, even if it's just to get the stock stuff set up properly for you. Then tires and track time!:)

A Harley makes lots of noise and goes real slow, but it's tradition and be damn proud of it!!!!!!! Besides that, I don't get speeding tickets on mine. She's got a little over 76,000 miles on her now. Been to both oceans twice and haven't had the first problem mechanically. Got it new in Nov '02. My mid life crises---tried to slow down. Needless to say, it didn't work out. The Ducati was a major cop magnet before I made it strictly a track bike. Now I just gotta keep trying to learn how to ride it. I thought I was pretty good until I started riding with you NESBA folks. Y'all showed me just how much I don't know. Sorry for the off topic ramble. See ya at Barber

derickyee

griffonrider;258101 wrote: A Harley makes lots of noise and goes real slow, but it's tradition and be damn proud of it!!!!!!! Besides that, I don't get speeding tickets on mine. She's got a little over 76,000 miles on her now. Been to both oceans twice and haven't had the first problem mechanically. Got it new in Nov '02. My mid life crises---tried to slow down. Needless to say, it didn't work out. The Ducati was a major cop magnet before I made it strictly a track bike. Now I just gotta keep trying to learn how to ride it. I thought I was pretty good until I started riding with you NESBA folks. Y'all showed me just how much I don't know. Sorry for the off topic ramble. See ya at Barber
Yeah, a Harley does make a lot of noise and actually mines got the 103 in it and it does quite well.. Of course it's no Ducati or Yamaha, but it'll still get up and go. Don't get me wrong, I'm damn proud of my Harley.. That's why my R1 is for the track and the Harley is my joyride, long haul, bar hopper of a cruiser. The Harley that I own is a 2012 HD FLHX Street Glide and it's pretty much a Cadillac of all Harleys.. Well almost.. LOL!

I'm pretty new and still wet behind the ears on NESBA, but for the most part... I'm enjoying every minute of it and at the track. JR a Control Rider gave me helpful tips and started getting me comfortable with the track here in NOLA.

I wish I could go to Barber, but I can only stay locally for now only because of funds and I'm getting ready to transfer to another command soon so I will be deploying quite often.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
derickyee;258103 wrote: I'm getting ready to transfer to another command soon so I will be deploying quite often.
Sounds like you'll be going Haze gray and underway...

Come back in one piece Derick!!!!! Barber will still be there. Bring your Harley, I'll bring mine and we can ride around the cones they set up for the kids LOL

derickyee

Vinny,

I use to be REGNAV... I am now a TAR or as they call it now a days FTS. No more boats for me, however I do miss it at times, but I'll be with a squadron here in NOLA.

bigkaley

Control Rider
As usual, Judy (HondaGalToo) is a wealth of wisdom! Sort the suspension and get the brakes done first. Steering stabilizer should be first off your list. Welcome and happy riding!

And most of all, Thank You for your service! :cheers:

derickyee

Thanks BigKaley! I appreciate it! Yeah the steering stabilizer will definitely come first. Just gotta do it a little at a time.

derickyee

griffonrider;258106 wrote: Come back in one piece Derick!!!!! Barber will still be there. Bring your Harley, I'll bring mine and we can ride around the cones they set up for the kids LOL
I'm alright with that! But I'm such a small guy on a big Harley I don't know if I'll be able to stand that thing up going so slow.. LOL!!

Ruhe52

Best money you can spend on your track bike is track time.

D Zum a lot of people buy bikes and just order a ton of stuff before tracking it...... I know a guy.

derickyee

Ruhe52;258139 wrote: Best money you can spend on your track bike is track time.

D Zum a lot of people buy bikes and just order a ton of stuff before tracking it...... I know a guy.
You're exactly right about that! That's why the only thing I bought for the bike was a BMC Race air filter, brake and clutch levers, A suit, gloves and boots.

z064life

'10 R1:
MB Race Radiator
Sharkskinz custom painted WSBK bodywork
Dymag Carbon Fiber wheels
Brembo P4 130mm Monobloc Calipers
AIM Pista dash with GPS module
Brembo 19x18 Race MC
ASV shortie levers
Renthal Grips
Renthal Clipons
Ohlins FGRT808 Forks
Lightech Mirror Blockoffs
Vortex Rearsets
Bazzaz FI with QS and TC + autotune
Ohlins TTX rear shock, rebuilt to a MKII
Leo Vince Corsa full Ti exhaust (more than likely switching out for Graves with the Hayes exhaust goes up for sale)
Lightech axle adjusters and lifters
Brembo underslung rear caliper
Full floating Braketech rotors both front and rear
Z04 brake pads
dry release brake lines (goodrich)
DID chain
Renthal front and rear sprockets (-1/-2)
CF hugger
Ohlins Steering damper
Samco hoses
YEC Kit ECU
Woodcraft sliders
Cox Rad guard
CF Quick release gas cap

Soon to be
Al race subframe
Al race fairing stay

I do agree with Judy in if funds are limited, it is suspension/brake lines...and then track days/schools/etc. Best money I've spent was 2 days (~900) with the California Superbike School at Barber. Went from B group before the school to A group on the 7th trackday after it.