Yamaha School

trekuhl

Control Rider
jcurtis;231588 wrote: There are a bunch of NESBA riders who have done the school and we frequently help each other out with the techniques and track analysis. I have to thank them for giving me the skills to deal with a couple pretty serious situations on the track and avoid crashing and getting hurt, which would have easily been more than the cost of the school. I don’t want to spoil the surprise if you decide to do the school, but some of the unusual drills they practice have been useful.
Im always glad to help you out kid! :popcorn:

1up5down

Control Rider
A lot has been said already about the value of YCRS. In the spirit of offering something different and to potentially speak to a different type of rider, I’ll offer this prospective.

My story:

I’ve been riding on the track since 2006 and I’ve only been down twice. The first time was on my second trackday (Day 2 of a two day weekend). The second time was in 2010 while racing on a damp track. A I’m not the fastest guy or the slowest, but I keep a good pace.

My thought process/perspective was that if I listened, studied, practiced, displayed poise & patience and got a fair amount of seat time (I average 15+ trackdays a year since 2007), that was enough to take care of everything regarding my riding and going fast and without Crashing. So, why outlay $$$ on a school that is only going to tell me what I already read and learned from coaches and others at the track. I mean, I don’t crash and I’m running good lap times for what I want to accomplish. So, why spend the $$$ year after year on these expensive schools.

Then in 2009, I gave in to my buddies and did my first school (which shall remain nameless). It was a one day school for about $500. At the end of the school I walked away the same rider I was going in. I’m not saying the school was worthless or that I didn’t have an open mind or didn’t want to learn. Shoot, it was hard enough to get me to spend the $$$, you best bet I wanted to get something out of it. What happened was they (the instructors) focused the class and curriculum on the overwhelming new to the track riders in that particular class. They took a poll of how many were new to the track versus not and then based the curriculum and drills on the majority. So, I and few other buddies got the short end of the stick as we were relegated to fall inline so to speak.

Then comes May 2010, I meet Ken & Nick at the I VIR SED Day (In 2009, I bumped myself down from A to I as I wasn’t comfortable and wanted to practice some fundamentals via coaching). Hopefully, that gives you some prospective on who I am as a rider and my mentality. I learned and connected with Nick more during the brief 20 minute on track demonstration at turn 3 than I did the entire day at the other school (which was also at VIR, so it was a very level playing field for a comparison). The rest of the teaser class room sessions were just that teasers. Right there I decide I was going to find away to invest my time and $$$ in YCRS as the difference was blatantly clear to me, that Nick and Ken are excellent communicators. They have no ego and their only concern was about my safety, thus my skill development. The approach they take in how they communicate the curriculum/information is the differentiator and in my opinion superior than most other riding school instructors.

It’s like the teacher or professor who communicates in a class of 50, but you (1 of 50) walk away feeling he/she was only talking to you. Nick and Ken get it, they are not only #1 plate holders, but excellent communicators who understand how to diagnosis, initiate and motivate change within all types of riders (track days riders, street riders, professional racers, amateur racers…).

Ultimately, the school you choose is your decision to make. They all offer something. Do your due diligence and talk to those that have graduated from YCRS and the various others riding schools. Ask good questions focused on uncovering what they learned. Pay close attention, listen and observe the riding of the individual(s) who provides you feedback. Don't allow price alone to determine if you will attend or not.
I’m a firm believer in the saying “Success leaves clues”. Let’s see what clues YCRS has left on the NESBIANS that have graduated from YCRS and will soon graduate. I bet you’ll notice a difference between the YCRS graduates and the others.

By the way I’m all signed up to do YCRS for the second year in a row come June 11 & 12 @ NJMP!

Cheers,

Allen

denbsteph

I have read a lot of the comments about the positive experience everyone has enjoyed. One common theme that I have noticed is everyone had been doing track days prior to going, a lot of track days. I'm a newbie to the sport, I have done just about what everyone has done in the beginning, Bought a bike, gear,done some tuning, all of it. I'm a "B" group rider, the bike and I have never been on the track TOGETHER, so it will be a new experience for the both of us. I have the duckies to to do school. I guess what I'm trying to say is, will I benefit more from going early to the school before I learn bad habits that will be hard to break. Looking for all inputs, especially from those who have done what i'm thinking about doing. Thanks

Dennis

Germany

denbsteph;231917 wrote: I have read a lot of the comments about the positive experience everyone has enjoyed. One common theme that I have noticed is everyone had been doing track days prior to going, a lot of track days. I'm a newbie to the sport, I have done just about what everyone has done in the beginning, Bought a bike, gear,done some tuning, all of it. I'm a "B" group rider, the bike and I have never been on the track TOGETHER, so it will be a new experience for the both of us. I have the duckies to to do school. I guess what I'm trying to say is, will I benefit more from going early to the school before I learn bad habits that will be hard to break. Looking for all inputs, especially from those who have done what i'm thinking about doing. Thanks

Dennis
Hey dennis,
I think this is a great idea, after a broken ankle and lots of bucks spend on fixing my bike back up, I wish I would have done exactly what you plan on doing.
It's easier to Learn it right trying to fix those habits.

Germany CCS#19

trekuhl

Control Rider
definitely a great idea if its in your budget. i went from 14 wrecks in 40+ TDs to 2 wrecks since YCRS, one because of oil other from pushing to hard in cold. these guys are all about safety...and it makes sense the way the explain it; look at the top racers; rossi, lorenzo, spies, etc or ama; herrin, eslick, etc how often do they go down???

denbsteph

As I'm reading the schedule on the YCRS web site, it does appear this is a 2 day event, one day is not an option, Is this correct? Sure would like to get some clarification.

denbsteph

Need to save a few more duckies, I thought you could do a one day event, didn't read it close enough. Damn it Jim!!

Andrei

denbsteph;231965 wrote: Need to save a few more duckies, I thought you could do a one day event, didn't read it close enough. Damn it Jim!!
and be glad it's a two day event. you'll learn more.

barry38

Allen summed it up very well. I think Nick and Ken are the class of the field when it come to teaching anyone, at any level to go faster, while also being a safer rider. I did the Freddie Spenser School when Nick was his lead instructor, and what I learning about riding in theose 2 days was worth much more than the money I spent.

slowpoke

Will be providing more details on the upcoming NJMP schools later today. We're psyched YCRS is returning to NJMP!

Wawazat

Hope I can make this! Got more than half saved up. Trying not to spend more on other track days between now and then is going to be tough. :D

Sent from my HTC Evo using Tapatalk

denbsteph

slowpoke:

If I'm reading the YCRS date's correctly, off of the Miller Motorsports site, the 13th and 14th dates are BYOB (Bring your own bike) dates. Can you confirm this please? Thanks

Dennis

slowpoke

denbsteph;232062 wrote: slowpoke:

If I'm reading the YCRS date's correctly, off of the Miller Motorsports site, the 13th and 14th dates are BYOB (Bring your own bike) dates. Can you confirm this please? Thanks

Dennis
Both NJMP schools are BYOB (June 11-12, 13-14). There will be a limited number of school bikes available for students that do not have their own bike OR would prefer to ride an R6 for the school. Because of the limited number, these bikes will need to be reserved in advance and there will not be a charge for using them. In the unlikely event of a crash, students will be responsible for any crash damage to the bike. These bikes are being made available through a collaborative agreement between YCRS and NESBA.

Will start a new thread with a few details about both schools, but feel free to post any other questions or shoot me a PM.

As for whether or not to wait until you have more seat time before taking the school: I would suggest taking the school as soon as you can afford it. It took me (and some others) much longer to un-learn bad habits. and personally I wish I had taken the school when I first started riding the track.

Myers

Control Rider
slowpoke;232145 wrote: feel free to post any other questions or shoot me a PM.

As for whether or not to wait until you have more seat time before taking the school: I would suggest taking the school as soon as you can afford it. It took me (and some others) much longer to un-learn bad habits. and personally I wish I had taken the school when I first started riding the track.
---spend the money in the beginning to learn the correct way to do things.... OR.. spend the money later to un-learn the bad habbits that you have formed.....

I myself am guilty of the 2nd option... Took the school last year and really wish I could take it this year... BUT.. if you have any way to take it now BEFORE you form those bad habbits... DO IT.

denbsteph

slowpoke:

Could these two days be counted towards our total of track days done, meaning if I'm working on getting the Elite membership thru the track days of 12, will these help? Thanks

slowpoke

denbsteph;232566 wrote: slowpoke:

Could these two days be counted towards our total of track days done, meaning if I'm working on getting the Elite membership thru the track days of 12, will these help? Thanks
I can't speak on behalf of NESBA or any decisions that Bob or DJ could potentially make.

That said, the only way to register for the school is through YCRS/Miller Motorsports Park. NESBA is collaborating with YCRS on the school and wanted to make sure NESBA members were made aware of this unique opportunity first. You cannot register/pay for the school through NESBA which is why I will say that it is not currently set up for these days to count towards an Elite membership. You also cannot use NESBA credits towards the school as it is currently set up.

That does not mean that you can't reach out to DJ who is in a position to make decisions/exceptions.

Hope that helps -

LOrtega

Control Rider
denbsteph;232566 wrote: slowpoke:

I am very confident when I say this does not count towards the elite membership in any way shape or form.
The chance to take the YCRS school at NJMP is brought to you in some part by the NESBA / Yamaha alliance however,
YCRS is a different entity entirely, and doing a YCRS school at NJMP will not count towards your NESBA Elite membership.

Although both organizations are working together in certain aspects of the school, YCRS days do not have anything to do with NESBA Track Days which count towards Elite memberships at all.

Im sure the power that be will agree with me in this instance... So take the school and then join us for any of our MANY NESBA track days to put to use the wealth of knowledge you will learn from Nick and the other instructors at YCRS,,,

The Panda has spoken

Smithereens

Control Rider
N2
That Panda stays up late to resolve "issues".

I attended the YCRS at NJMP last year and it was so good that I traveled out to Miller to take it a second time.
The program is awesome. I can't imagine any rider (regardless of skill level) not benefiting from the school.
I'd like to thank Bob Blandford and Nesba for partnering with YCRS to make it possible for the school to return to NJMP this year.

There's no question in my mind that the skills they stress at the school WILL save you from a crash over the long haul.

Special thanks to Chris Pontrelli also..... I know he put a lot into bringing the school back east.