Should Ladies get a different rate?

bike428

HondaGalToo;106883 wrote: The family discount, for members at the same address, applied to membership fees only isn't a bad idea.

Eh, I've done women's only trackdays. When I was first starting out, it was a bit more appealing, but only because I had a preconceived notion that guys would naturally all be more aggressive, and a women's only day would be more "nurturing" (for lack of a better word) to new women riders. I've since learned that lots of guys are just as nervous and timid the first time out, and that women's trackdays weren't as friendly as I might have thought. I have no interest in a women only trackday. No interest in a women's only/2-up session after lunch that another org does, either, as I feel it cuts into everyone's track time.

I've been doing this a long time, and hindsight is that I'd have been just as comfortable had my first day been co-ed.

Do the other orgs have a lot more women members than NESBA? I see there are now two orgs with a cheaper trackday rate for women. That still doesn't make me want to leave NESBA. And, as far as doing things to recruit more women, as someone pointed out, it's such a small demographic that it wouldn't make a blip in the overall number of members. Most other women riders I know are on cruisers.
I like the idea of making everyones first track day more welcoming and less intimidating regardless of gender but would like to see us do someting special to encourage more women to ride with us. Just a single guys selfish intersts I suppose. :dunno:

Billsv/R6

i think you should give people over 40 a discount or better yet give us free membership and $300 credit and lunch and never pass us unless we give prior permission.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Judy, I don't know how old you are, but your perspective on price considerations based on gender are fantastic.

I kind of like the concept of maybe reducing/discounting memberships for people/families..that might be kind nice. It might come in handy for me when my new little NESBIAN due in June decides in 2027 that he wants to join me on the track.

Speaking of 2027, how's about maybe a Senior Citizen consideration? We have some AARP card carrying members among us, which I absolutely love to see, and that might be kind of nice for them.

binx_19

in all honesty, i would stop participating in NESBA if special treatment was being offered.

now that i read through all other posts i would like to add:
Family Membership discounts work for me create a family membership number and list all members of the family that would participate, and you already get a discount for doing both days in a weekend, now how would it work if you only want to attend one day? the current system only allows sign up for one spot on one day, but the family membership would allow you to sign up for as many spots as your have on your family membership, and anything after one sign up gets the "weekend" 15% off.

Meat

And just another idea on the family discount: For tracks that are under capacity, some type of family day (not kids day) where families get a discount (say 10-15%), maybe a pot luck, be nice to drive the track at lunch.

Speaking of driving the track. This was something I did at a track in Tulsa (Hallet) and thought it was great. Just every now and then, during lunch allow a slow (20 mph) drive around the track to show the people you are with what the track looks like.

And if you don't like that idea for family day then poles, strippers and beer should be brought in because I am sure that combination has started off more than one family.

litespeed

HondaGalToo;106883 wrote:
Eh, I've done women's only trackdays. When I was first starting out, it was a bit more appealing, but only because I had a preconceived notion that guys would naturally all be more aggressive, and a women's only day would be more "nurturing" (for lack of a better word) to new women riders. I've since learned that lots of guys are just as nervous and timid the first time out, and that women's trackdays weren't as friendly as I might have thought. I have no interest in a women only trackday.
This is good information to have. Since I am new to this sport I have been thinking about women's only days for the reasons you have listed above. It is interesting that you didn't feel that it made a difference.

Thanks!!!

Lynda

rk97

I think all this "equality" talk is clouding the point. Equality is a myth. As Hank pointed out, there are some people who can easily afford to ride 20 trackdays a year (and do so in style) and others who are happy to afford 1 set of tires and 4-8 days a summer in their tent. When it comes to pricing, everyone is coming to the table un-equal from the start.

Trackdays cost what they cost. Either that price is fair, or it isn't. "equal" and "fair" don't mean the same thing. If the 'regular price' for track X is $180/day, and women (or military, etc.) get a discount, that doesn't make the regular price any less fair.

The fact is that any discount is only a benefit to the person receiving it, whether they 'deserve' it or not. Now if there's some data that suggests discounts would increase overall membership, and thus help NESBA's bottom line, then there's a compelling reason to offer them. I don't quite agree that my "ladies' night" example was "apples and turnips," but I concede that the purpose behind a 'ladies night' in that scenario is to draw in more male customers.

like someone else asked, what is NESBA's goal?

slowpoke

rk97;107001 wrote: I think all this "equality" talk is clouding the point. Equality is a myth. As Hank pointed out, there are some people who can easily afford to ride 20 trackdays a year (and do so in style) and others who are happy to afford 1 set of tires and 4-8 days a summer in their tent. When it comes to pricing, everyone is coming to the table un-equal from the start.

Trackdays cost what they cost. Either that price is fair, or it isn't. "equal" and "fair" don't mean the same thing
. If the 'regular price' for track X is $180/day, and women (or military, etc.) get a discount, that doesn't make the regular price any less fair.

The fact is that any discount is only a benefit to the person receiving it, whether they 'deserve' it or not. Now if there's some data that suggests discounts would increase overall membership, and thus help NESBA's bottom line, then there's a compelling reason to offer them. I don't quite agree that my "ladies' night" example was "apples and turnips," but I concede that the purpose behind a 'ladies night' in that scenario is to draw in more male customers.

like someone else asked, what is NESBA's goal?

beating-a-dead-horse.gif

:D:D Sorry RK - i couldnt' resist

NoBull

If the idea is to draw more female members in, then based on what Judy is saying and what I've heard of the quality of a STT trackday (who has discounts for women) vs. a Nesba trackday, how about you solicit information like what Judy is giving us from more female members and maybe even female CR's, preferably from women that have ridden with clubs that give discounts to women. Take that information and somehow word it into something you can put in a sticky on the board, put it on a page in the Riders Manual etc. to spread the word why Nesba is a great club to ride with for women and men alike.

Really, if saving $25 on a trackday is the only reason to ride with STT, then I don't know if it's possible to draw them into Nesba. If they only do 1-2 days a year and ride a streetbike then it may make sense, but if you're a hardcore TD rider doing 10+ days a year on a dedicated trackbike, 25 bucks per day isn't going to make too much of a difference. The cost of gas, tires, travel etc.etc.etc. on top of the cost of the day makes the few bucks saved seem like nothing.

Just my $.02

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
rk97;107001 wrote: I think all this "equality" talk is clouding the point. Equality is a myth. As Hank pointed out, there are some people who can easily afford to ride 20 trackdays a year (and do so in style) and others who are happy to afford 1 set of tires and 4-8 days a summer in their tent. When it comes to pricing, everyone is coming to the table un-equal from the start.

Trackdays cost what they cost. Either that price is fair, or it isn't. "equal" and "fair" don't mean the same thing
. If the 'regular price' for track X is $180/day, and women (or military, etc.) get a discount, that doesn't make the regular price any less fair.
Agreed. The post about a senior citizen discount, although it was in jest (I think :)) got me thinking along those exact lines. Seniors get a discount at places because, generally, they're on a fixed income. It could be argued that women get paid less than men (ok, it's better now than in the 70s, but still) and therefore "deserve" a discount. You could make that argument for any number of groups. I think NESBA's pricing is fair, and everyone should pay the same price per day.

Thinking more about the "family discount" on membership fees...not fair to the singles. If, as suggested, it applies to only those at the same address, that could rule out a 20-something who does trackdays with Dad but doesn't live at home.

This has been a great discussion, but for me, the bottom line is that I think NESBA already does a damn good job of offering discounts that are applicable to all. I'm not going to start listing them all...you know what they are! :D

Jeez, is it Spring yet? I really need to ride!! :cool:

HondaGalToo;107011 wrote: Only if you ride in high heels!!!
You help me get through tech and it's a deal!

I'll look like Ginger Rodgers out their...smooth and flowing!

All the single ladies, all the single ladies sing it with me now!

Meat

rk97;107001 wrote: Trackdays cost what they cost. Either that price is fair, or it isn't. "equal" and "fair" don't mean the same thing. If the 'regular price' for track X is $180/day, and women (or military, etc.) get a discount, that doesn't make the regular price any less fair.
So, you would have no problem with everyone paying the discounted rate and only you paying the "fair" rate? And if that is the case, how big of a discount is still fair? 10%, 37%, 100%....is this fair discount equation something that can be written down and referenced or is it just some arbitrary amount, like 53.75%?

I could go on and on as to why discounts are favoritism to whatever group is getting the discounts, whether it is coupon cutters or the POS congressmen.

Charging different rates to different people is favoritism, plain and simple. People generally don't have a problem with a military discount because everyone in the United States, and many other parts of the world, benefit from the people in the US military.

Student and senior citizen discounts are also generally accepted by just about everyone because they don't usually have the same disposable income as others and often they are a desirable targeted group, such as for plays and movies.

Fair is treating everyone with the same set rules.

rk97

slowpoke;107004 wrote:
beating-a-dead-horse.gif

:D:D Sorry RK - i couldnt' resist
hahahaha - if you haven't noticed, it's what I do. I'll try to dial it back ;)

If we're going to directly compare NESBA to STT, I think STT is geared more toward getting the first-time trackday riders a lot more than NESBA.

1) STT's membership fee is $40 cheaper. to a first timer, who has just bought leathers, gloves, boots, and is probably riding the street bike that they may still be making payments on, $40 matters.

2) I just got STT's newsletter via email this morning. The bikes pictured are a 90's ZX7, a '05 600RR, and what I believe is a Thruxton. All but the honda are street bikes (headlights). I don't get email newsletters from NESBA, but the web site has 2007-2009 Yamahas in full race trim... Joe Streetrider is going to look at STT's newsletter and think, "hey, my bike would fit right in with STT." With NESBA, not so much.

3) STT lets you choose your own group. That's a 'benefit' for new riders who think they're hot shit. (no need to discuss how it affects more experienced riders).