Why did I low-side?

Wawazat

Bike, gear, equipment, tires... doesn't matter. Your biggest error is: ...wait for it...

:banghead:NOT LISTENING!:banghead:

For once, put whatever you are holding on to aside and listen to the advice. Try being proactive about your riding and not reactive. It's just going to make you second guess yourself next time you go into the same turn.

Meat

Oh just forget it. You've already figured out why you crashed (no matter what EVERYONE tells you) and you weren't at fault at all. Good luck, I really mean it. You will definitely need it.

Looks a lot like Blueninja all over again.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Meat;217751 wrote: Oh just forget it. You've already figured out why you crashed (no matter what EVERYONE tells you) and you weren't at fault at all. Good luck, I really mean it. You will definitely need it.

Looks a lot like Blueninja all over again.
:agree:

gkotlin

redrdr;217614 wrote: There was a point where the back end let go at the end of the first session. I held neutral throttle, stood the bike up a little, and went into the grass. I knew I had lost traction, and I saved it there.To many times, new riders tell how they are pushing the front and the rear is sliding. Many times, the suspension is just doing it's thing. Because it feels different, it had to be a loss of traction.

redrdr;217614 wrote:
The session where I crashed was #4, so the track was dry and warm at that point. I was on lap #3, so I would think the tires would be arm. Here is the next issue. Lack of experience. You don't know how much traction was available. You were THINKING the tires were warm and sticky. More experience might tell you otherwise. Traction is finite. It changes every track day, during each a track day and is affected by 100's of factors. You could be running the lap record in the morning. But if gets cold and rains overnight, you may not be able to get anywhere near that time the next day.

redrdr;217734 wrote:
It wasn't any of those. Rider error is too general of a cause for me. That also doesn't help me prevent the same thing from happening.
Again, you say it wasn't any of those. You can't evaluate yourself, especially as a new rider. Even Tiger Woods has a golf coach. Can his coach out play him? Probably not. But he can help him as he learns his style and watches him play.

redrdr;217734 wrote:
It looks like the bike is stable until a certain point. I'm noticing that my outside foot comes off of the peg and my inside knee comes back almost simultaneously. The back end then brakes loose. Anyone know of a video player where you can watch in slow motion? It is starting to seem like the when my left knee came back, the necessary distance between the bike and track had to increase to accommodate my knee being out more. Obviously the track isn't going to give. This probably push my foot into the peg, and this forced the tire out and caused it loose traction. It really looks like things are fine until the outside foot comes off of the peg.
Johnny Cochran would be proud reading that. You really need to relax. If you over think riding this much, you're going to make the learning process much more difficult. You will over think and over analyze every input to the bike and over compensate for every movement the bike makes that you were not expecting. Your making way to many assumptions trying to find an answer that may not be able to be found. If your body position is proper, there probably isn't much weight on your outside foot. Mine comes off all the time because I have a short inseam. Your inside knee moving didn't upset a 300 lb bike with 3 big gyroscopes enough to crash you. Putting more weight on the inside peg reduces lean angle and lowers the center of gravity. I weigh 260 lbs, trust me in the fact that you can put a lot of weight and move a lot of weight on the pegs and the bike doesn't care that much.

Maybe your foot came off, you tensed up made an input you don't believe you made. It's really not going to make a difference now. I used to think the same way you do. I used to ask every CR I knew. "How will it feel when the front starts to slide?" "How do you deal with the rear tire when it spins?" As a new rider, you're not going to do anything to save a crash that isn't just dumb getting lucky. How will you know when you pushed the front for the first time? Because your pants will be full as you just came through a corner, leaned over and the bike wasn't turning. Time will slow down and the front end will feel like it is plowing for a 1/4 mile. To many things in this sport just can't be taught. You do things, other things happen as a natural result. Sometimes it works out. Some times it doesn't. The butt dyno is very rarely right.

Toss that video in a folder marked, "do not open until October 2015." Then go and enjoy the next few years of track riding. Go back and read this post and watch that video in 2015. You'll be amazed how much you've learned since then and how little any of that helps you determine what happened this year.

Get out and do some dirt bike riding or flat tracking. Get used to the bike sliding and moving around. You'll be amazed how much you'll learn.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Not again :doh: PO please take the advice of the CR's and more experienced riders! That is all.

bodell

gkotlin;217786 wrote:

Toss that video in a folder marked, "do not open until October 2015." Then go and enjoy the next few years of track riding. Go back and read this post and watch that video in 2015. You'll be amazed how much you've learned since then and how little any of that helps you determine what happened this year.
citizen_cane.gif

redrdr

You guys are killing me with the blueninja reference. I'm at least here trying to figure out what when wrong and what to focus on for improve my riding skills. Comparing me to someone asking for prayers for a bruise!?! Well, I guess I'll just pretend some are tyring to add humor as opposed to dealing a low blow. I guess I'll just have to stick around long enough to prove that I'm no where near close to that guy.

If anyone is still reading any trying to be constructive, any suggestions on entering a corner? Let me know if I need to start a new thread as most seem to be getting side-tracked at this point. I've noticed this is a tough sport to target what areas need to be improved. I even know I think I'm doing one thing, but I have no idea of knowing I'm actually doing another.

Well, I think this is a result of corner entry. I took a riding class, and it was pointed out to me that I tend to turn in early. Well, I've been working on it. I think I may have developed a bad habit. I've been wait longer to start turning, which has really opened up the track. This was a great improvemnet. I've been noticing that I am starting to weight the outside peg, get a good grip on the outside bar, and lean into the turn and pull on the outside bar. This really helps to get the bike into the turn quickly. I think when my body stops leaning further (finds the necessary lean position), the weight comes off of the outside foot. This seems to be what I did on Saturday. How do some more experienced riders handle this? Focus on using my foot to push my knee into the gas tank to ensure I have a good anchor point?

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
redrdr;217817 wrote: I've noticed this is a tough sport to target what areas need to be improved. I even know I think I'm doing one thing, but I have no idea of knowing I'm actually doing another.
Yep. Stick with this.

No one here knows your abilities or your current skill level so it is hard to give you feedback. IMHO, this is a hands-on experience that cannot be learned on the BBS... (Insert BlueNinja reference).

The CR's are interested in helping. We have a lot of talent in this Org. What I suggest is that you come out and talk to the CR's and have them follow you around for a few laps and give some feedback. Listen and try to apply the feedback, then ask to be followed. Rinse and repeat over and over....

When are you riding next? Will you be there this weekend?

sobottka

sounds a little like you're kinda falling off the bike, maybe you're hanging off too much? or focus on pushing yourself off the bike with your outside leg (and keep it weighted) instead of squatting down on the inside leg.

Gorecki

bodell;217798 wrote: How about Gary Busey?
Ya know, that one is kind of creepy.

Being a person who has a tendency to over analyze everything (understatement of the year) the general idea of lucidly attempting to do the correct things on every corner to come is a far better investment of energies. And I'm pretty sure you know as well as I that is NOT an easy task! TAKE EVERY opportunity to get a tow, direction and feedback from the CR's because they can see so much more of what we're doing than we can in a moment.

Shutting up and auditing now... :popcorn:

eE jeremy

Dude you're not going to learn to ride a motorcycle around a racetrack from the internet. I'd suggest more seat time and less keyboard time.