Search results

1. Dylan Code

Cycle World reviews Cal Superbike School

Levels 1&2: http://www.cycleworld.com/california-superbike-school-levels-i-ii Levels 3&4 http://www.cycleworld.com/california-superbike-school-levels-3-and-4-review
  2. Dylan Code

Where a rider is looking when riding-video-

Yes Keith has been doing a fair amount of research in this area. We've found a lot of physiological data about the eyes and brain that gives clues as to why some riders progress slowly and others seem to be naturals.
  3. Dylan Code

Where a rider is looking when riding-video-

These are video clips of a rider wearing gaze tracking glasses while riding. The glasses track the movements of the pupils and is overlaid on video showing what the person is looking at. The circle moving in the frame indicates where the rider was looking. An experienced rider was chosen, who...
  4. Dylan Code

Heat cycle myth busting from Dunlop

Bubba, I see you have a 125. Here's a oooold shot of me on a Honda MT125. This was Willow Springs around 1984.
  5. Dylan Code

I would love to hear that history, maybe next year when we come by NJMP.
  6. Dylan Code

I do know in the late 80's/early 90's Wendell Phillips (owner of Lockhart Phillips) was doing track days at So Cal tracks. However prior to that, in 1985 there was a program started by my father in the mornings of the training events we held, where local riders could pay $20 or something like...
  7. Dylan Code

So guys, actually I am wondering when the first formal, motorcycle-only track day was held in the USA. Does anyone know? Maybe we can start with when NESBA was first formed, but some old-timers would have more data. I know it's off topic but while I'm here...
  8. Dylan Code

Thanks Darrin, I appreciate your response and understand your points. My agenda is goodwill. My experience is that riders can have fixed ideas in certain areas, many based on partial truths and putting this data in the proper framework helps people enjoy the sport. My father has said to bring...
  9. Dylan Code

Darrin, you seem to be a smart person so here's a question for you: When was the first track day (not school) ever held in the United States for motorcycles? PS: Who said anything about advertising for a school (besides you), or even mentioned a school?
  10. Dylan Code

Or also this one on choosing the right size tire, also from Dunlop Race Tire Service: CHOOSING THE RIGHT TIRE SIZE When picking a tire for a track day or racing, your tire size choice boils down to what the tire manufacturer recommends for your bike. Not every 180/55 is made the same...
  11. Dylan Code

So it is. Well how about this data on tire compounds that I don't see on the sticky list, from the same person at Dunlop?: Picking Compounds: First off, its not possible to put everything into a small tight neat box and make solid rules like "hotter weather = harder tire" or " Smooth track =...
  12. Dylan Code

This is taken from another forum which is a post from the National Race Tire Distributor for Dunlop: "Yes, tire warmers put heat into the tire, so you don't have to on the first couple of laps. Other than that there is nothing magical about them. They don't change the rubber compound from bad...
  13. Dylan Code

T Bolt lap times with 4th gear and no brakes...

A few things I noticed, concluded or confirmed: -If a rider is more than a couple seconds off the times they want, and they are already using brakes to some level of proficiency, don't look to make that time up with brakes alone, mid corner and average speed must come up. -Timing from brake...
  14. Dylan Code

T Bolt lap times with 4th gear and no brakes...

This week I took some laps between sessions with a young rider we train and decided to see how fast he could go around T Bolt using only 4th gear and no brakes. Stock S1000RR with slicks. He started lapping at 1:38, then later a 1:34, then down to a 1:32. It was an interesting experiment and I...
  15. Dylan Code

Steering damper needed or just holding too tight?

Yes I agree that checking the bike's geometry is a good first step. Are the wheels aligned? Anything bent? Steering stem bearing as mentioned above? Wheels out of balance? Unevenly worn tires? Go for the most glaring things first, then things like suspension.
  16. Dylan Code

What the eyes look like when riding

I need to find that video--that was when we were with Kawasaki so I have not used it for some time... Keith has been doing a lot of interesting research in the areas of rider positioning on the bike and vision. This video helps illustrate a few points regarding eyes and eye patterns.
  17. Dylan Code

Yes seeing video of your body position and also what your eyes are doing while riding is very revealing. It's a great self-coaching tool; even better if you can get a trusted coach/mentor/CR to go over it with you.
  18. Dylan Code

I try to keep my eyes moving like headlights would, to provide a continual and progressive view of the next thing coming from reference point to reference point without dwelling on any particular one for too long. The guys at YCRS may have a good point and I'm sure there is more to it if you ask...
  19. Dylan Code

Yeah just a few blinks. That's me riding in the vid.