Heat cycle myth busting from Dunlop

Dylan Code

This is taken from another forum which is a post from the National Race Tire Distributor for Dunlop:

"Yes, tire warmers put heat into the tire, so you don't have to on the first couple of laps. Other than that there is nothing magical about them. They don't change the rubber compound from bad to good.

Now lets tackle the issue of HEAT CYCLES.

Heat cycling of the tire is a very confusing and misunderstood area. I will say that I have heard that other brands are well known for "going off" or "heat cycling" and I will leave that conversation to another thread another day.

For now I'm going to stick with Dunlop's, as that is what I know.

Do tires heat cycle? Yes

Is this the most important factor in tires? NO! in fact it is not very significant, and very over emphasized.

Certainly making a tire go from 250 deg to negative 10 deg over and over is not the best thing you can do to a tire, but consider that placing it on a warmer, at 190 deg, for 8 hours is not any better. Both extremes are not the best for the tire.

We all hear about "Heat Cycle", but almost never do we hear talk about the thickness of the tire, or tread depth/wear. Fact: The thicker the tread rubber, the more grip. The thinner the tread rubber, the less grip. So as you ride on the tire, session after session, the rubber is getting thinner and there is less and less grip. Often this is mistaken for "heat cycle", and the rider now places his attention on his warmers and not on the real important factor of how much tread rubber is left on his tire.

Odd rituals start to crop up regarding tire warmers: Riders come back to the pits and RUSH to put their warmers on and crank them up to full, all in an attempt to "stop the heat cycle!". When buying used tires, riders rate the tire by how many heat cycles it has, not the tread depth.

It is a mistake to emphasize heat cycling over tread depth, with Dunlops.

So lets get real, which tire would you want to buy:

1) A tire with 10 laps and never had warmers?
2) A tire with 8 sessions and was on the warmers all day (8 hours) and never cooled down?
3) A new tire that was on a warmer for 8 hours only and never used?

I personally would pick #3 because it has the thickest tread, and #1 would be my second pick because it has less laps and probably more tread than #2. Notice how the heat cycles does not play into my personal choice in this matter, but the tread thickness does.

You can use a D211GPA or any other Dunlop tire without warmers and have no problems. ( Make sure you do heat the tire up for the first couple laps before you get with it.)

You might have a very small decrease in grip or life, but that would be very small and most likely not noticeable over the 1-5 track days you will get out of the tires. You would be spliting hairs on the performance level and tire life with/without warmers. Even if you were to do back to back tests, you would find that if in just 1 session in the life of the tire, you went 5 seconds faster, that would make more of a difference than heat cycling because you used more tread rubber in that session.

Heat cycles are not a total myth, but they do not make as big a difference as the internet would lead you to believe.

Tire warmers are good thing to have if you want to get going right out of the pits. They are not a requirement. Note that our recommendation for track day warmers has you putting the warmers on after a session and not plugging them in right away. This is so you don't needlessly force heat into the tire continuously for no reason. http://www.dunloprac...com/Warmers.pdf

Ever notice that the chatter about heat cycles started about the time tire warmers became cheaper and more readily available? Do you think there could be an urban legend that started because of this increased supply?"

Steve Brubaker
Dunlop/Race Tire Service Inc.
US National Distributor for Dunlop racing tires

buzz-06

+1 to this. I will say this and some will call me crazy while others agree with me. I started racing this year and noticed that my USA made Dunlop slicks that had been "heat cycled" once did seem to provide a more positive grip feel than a brand new tire.

Dylan Code

Hey Dylan,

Thanks for posting something we've had available as a sticky on our Forum in the Tire Information Center for over 3 years now.

For your Reference: http://forum.n2td.org/index.php?threads/heat-cycles.17214/

So it is. Well how about this data on tire compounds that I don't see on the sticky list, from the same person at Dunlop?:

Picking Compounds:

First off, its not possible to put everything into a small tight neat box and make solid rules like "hotter weather = harder tire" or " Smooth track = soft tire". If this was all true my job would be super easy.

Tracks differ from one another. Track conditions can change from day to day or season to season. The tire performance and durability may also change as lap times change.

At the top levels of racing, the words soft, med and hard are really just names. If you changed the names to tire A, B or C, the drill would still be the same. So taking a real world example: the rider tries tire B, then tire A, then tire C, giving feedback after each. The order does not matter for the purpose of this example. The riders feedback is most important here. Depending on the feedback, level of grip, consistency (did/did not drop off in performance), and a review of lap times, the team (rider and crew, but mostly the rider) would decide on which compound to select. This may seem simple, and it is a basic format.

IF someone then said "but the track is rough, we need to go with a harder tire", would you make a switch if the durability of the chosen tire right in front of you looked good and the rider reported no issue with durability and his lap times were better? or if someone said" we need better lap times and the track is smooth, lets use a soft", would you switch if the tire you chose just ran the best lap time and the rider liked it the best?

This procedure gets less important the slower the rider goes. For a track day rider going 15 seconds off the winning pace, his feedback for grip is invalid. At those lap times one cannot determine the level of grip, thus the feedback is not as usable.

When factory riders, setting track records, can only notice about 0.5 seconds difference from one compound to the next, there is no way a rider going 5 seconds slower can tell the difference from one compound to the next.

After we look at this we also have to note that harder tires do tend to last longer, yes this is true. but in a race situation (like you see on TV) the tires only need to last that race. Choices for track day riders would be based on other factors than the procedure above.

Also softer tires sometimes will tear in colder conditions, so a harder tire in colder conditions might be a better choice for track days or even racing depending on the conditions and the compound. This may seem backwards from logical thinking, harder tires when cold, but it is workable.

The main point here is there are no hard rules for compounds. Its whichever compound works. Track day riders can usually use any compound. The faster you go, the more the compound can make a difference.

Assess the level of rider you are and make a tire choice based on that level. don't assume that Ben Spies tire choice will work well for you at your lap times or track conditions. It may or may not.

Dylan Code

Or also this one on choosing the right size tire, also from Dunlop Race Tire Service:

CHOOSING THE RIGHT TIRE SIZE

When picking a tire for a track day or racing, your tire size choice boils down to what the tire manufacturer recommends for your bike.

Not every 180/55 is made the same, neither is the 190/55 or the 200/55.

M & P brands make a 180/55 to fit 600cc class bikes with 5.5x17 rims, and do not recommend using their 190/55.

Dunlop does not even make a 180/55 race tire. Dunlop recommends using their 190/55 on 600cc class bikes with 5.5x17 rims.

As you can see if you were on a 600, using M or P brands the 190/55 would be wrong, but using a Dunlop 190/55 would be right.

This does not mean that M & P are wrong, it just means they named their tire a 180/55 instead of a 190/55.

Its best to not get caught up in the "will my bike steer slower/quicker?" issue when changing to a different size. As long as the tire is recommend for that bike/rim it should work fine. Trying to figure out the handling attributes of the tire by asking a friend or by looking at the tire while on the stand is counter productive and leads to you having a preconceived bias. Just ride on it and you be the judge of how you like it.

If you are going to go on the track, I highly recommend asking the tire guy for your brand what is recommended. For a 600, Dunlop recommends its 190/55x17 D211GPA. That is the same size used in AMA National competition by all the factory teams and riders. This is a winning tire/size, but trying to use the M or P brand in this size on your 600 may have unpleasant consequences.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
The first one's really not relevant to what we do, and is more confusing than anything for Track Day riders like us.

I think the best part of it all is:

"If you are going to go on the track, I highly recommend asking the tire guy for your brand what is recommended."

The rest could have been left out.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
For a 600, Dunlop recommends its 190/55x17 D211GPA. That is the same size used in AMA National competition by all the factory teams and riders. This is a winning tire/size

Well yeah, I'd imagine it has to be a winning tire size...seeing how it's a spec tire. SOMEONE is gonna win on it...

D-Zum

Yeah..you gotta read filter out the Marketing from the Meat and 'Taters when reading information from Brubaker..or any other vendor representative for that matter.

So DC, speaking of marketing, are you here on our forum to just help because you're bored or advertise for your school?

What's your angle? Are you a Control Rider, member, or Motorcycle Industry solicitor?

Dylan Code

Darrin, you seem to be a smart person so here's a question for you:

When was the first track day (not school) ever held in the United States for motorcycles?

PS:
Who said anything about advertising for a school (besides you), or even mentioned a school?

DYLAN YOU are welcome here and I hope you know that...regardless of were you may work. I appreciate your posts and the information you have provided. With that said, Darrin is smart, but can also be abrasive when it is not needed.

Keep posting...the good dialogue is nice.

BZ

Yeah..you gotta read filter out the Marketing from the Meat and 'Taters when reading information from Brubaker..or any other vendor representative for that matter.

So DC, speaking of marketing, are you here on our forum to just help because you're bored or advertise for your school?

What's your angle? Are you a Control Rider, member, or Motorcycle Industry solicitor?

Not really sure what your getting at here Darrin ? While I would not claim to know Dylan personally I have done his school and learned a bunch from it and have had a few great conversations with him regarding the sport bike industry. If you go through the archives and read every post he's ever made there is a wealth of good information. Well, at this point I do not want to speak for Dylan or answer your ? cuz I'm not him. I will say that my opinion of him is very high in that he is a passionate sport bike enthusiast and wants nothing more then success for this sport that we all love.

D-Zum

Sorry guys, wasn't meaning to be abrasive...honestly..and looking back at what I typed, I see it. My apologies. I went "WERA Dungeon" on you.

Let's hit the reset button please. Sometimes I don't do a good job of communicating my thoughts and this was one of them. Sorry.

Can I please offer something that might be helpful? When you post, maybe offer a little intro to what you're posting to offer your intent, where your mind is when you're offering us information. Get me, the reader into your headspace and help me prepare my headspace for what I'm about to read. Then I'll get the point you're trying to make. That was REALLY what I was thinking when I read your first post...but my memory kicked in and remembered we already had that post in the tire information section..and you see what my smartass posted.

What I REALLY meant when I was asking what your "angle" was, was are you going to be or looking to become an N2 partner, contributor or vendor (meaning are you going to offer rider education and development days like YCRS does or has with N2? THAT is what I was trying to ask...didn't do a very good job of it. Again, my apologies.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to offer myself the same critique. I will work to better put on my "City Editor" hat before I post in order to refrain from future failings on my part.

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
I personally liked this section best...

"For a track day rider going 15 seconds off the winning pace, his feedback for grip is invalid."

If this is true, I have NOTHING to worry about!! :D

Dylan Code

Thanks Darrin,

I appreciate your response and understand your points. My agenda is goodwill. My experience is that riders can have fixed ideas in certain areas, many based on partial truths and putting this data in the proper framework helps people enjoy the sport. My father has said to bring the whole sport of motorcycle riding up and all those involved will benefit. This includes all the consumers and businesses associated with it. The sport can be elevated through things like goodwill, excellent training (such as YCRS as you mentioned), quality equipment, mentoring, and a good culture that breeds more riders attending track days.

I have been in and around motorcycles most of my life. The first big race I attended as a kid was Laguna Seca in 1975 at age 6 and from there I was hooked. I spend 100 days a year at tracks working with riders. This is my life and my career. I find it important to stay in touch with riders at an intimate level to keep my perspective real and relevant to what's happening. That's another key reason I visit the forums and drop posts from time to time.

I believe N2 is contributing considerably to the elevation of our sport and I find interest in what's happening with and around the organization.

borislav

Control Rider
Dylan thanks for all the good info and keep it coming.
Darrin is my good friend and he is sometimes rough around edges but never the less GOOD DUDE!!!

raylee

I know dunlops are "zero growth" and you're supposed to check pressures only hot off the warmers in the morning, but I find this advice doesn't always work for me. A few too many times I've had my tires get way too greasy as the day as progressed and found bringing the pressures down through the day with the rise in temperatures has helped me to keep a bit more consistency. Anyone else had similar experience with the Dunlop race rubbers?

P.S. I "know" I should junk the Dunflops for Pirellis
P.P.S. I know I have traction control
P.P.P.S. Yes, I'm 15 seconds off pace and you can blow it out your ass.

D-Zum

I check mine while the warmers are on, that gets them "in the ball park"..then go out and ride.

After my first session of the day I come in and check them again ASAP to get the pressure adjusted a little more precisely for the day's overall conditions (Air temp, track temp, etc).

That seems to be a winning formula for me. I got to this method actually after a conversation with Mr. Brubaker at Road Atlanta in 2011.

In the cooler months of Fall, I MIGHT repeat that check after lunch or after sessions where conditions change.

And with older tires, there's less rubber to hold heat, so as Dunlop recommends 23psi hot in their rear, with a tire that has 5 to 6 days on it already I may run 21-22 psi hot. That gives me a greater
contact patch with the track surface that will compensate for reduced amount of rubber available to hold heat/grip. This allows for more flexing in the tire carcass generating heat as well.

Dylan Code

So guys, actually I am wondering when the first formal, motorcycle-only track day was held in the USA. Does anyone know? Maybe we can start with when NESBA was first formed, but some old-timers would have more data. I know it's off topic but while I'm here...