2012 7x20 enclosed trailer - $5500

Otto Man;293239 wrote: Won't be making it. Unless you wanna buy me the $600 in diesel it'd cost to drive there! :D
Sorry, GLWS. I'm looking to get a 1/2 ton towable enclosed trailer for times when I go by myself and yours is set up quite nicely.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Highyellow1;293704 wrote: What are you pulling with? Would a 1500 have any issues pulling this?
It would depend on the truck. I originally had a '07 Tahoe with the 5.3. It didn't have a towing package on it (Think it had 3.07's or something really tall like that) but it still did OK. Would have towed a lot better with some lower gears in the axles. I also didn't have a WD hitch on it...it really could have used one. I think the Tahoe wheel base was too short for the trailer (Not to have a WD hitch on it).

I now pull it with my '04 Ram 2500 with the 5.9, and it tows it like it's not even back there. I didn't bother with a WD hitch with the truck because it doesn't get pushed around like the Tahoe did.

matt2212

Highyellow1;293704 wrote: What are you pulling with? Would a 1500 have any issues pulling this?
If I may add to the above post

I have a very similar trailer 7x18 dual axle and I towed it with a 1500 extra cab Chevrolet no problem, I even went from NE NC to NOLA and back in a long weekend.

Having a good brake controller is a must and even though I do not have a weight distributing hitch I do understand they are helpful

You will know its back there and you will burn some fuel but if you have the right mindset it is no problem to tow it thousands of miles

TLRSKUNK

Otto What kind of mileage are you getting towing it?
I'm shopping trailers and have a 06 megacab 5.9l and wondering where I want to look for size of trailer.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
TLRSKUNK;293714 wrote: Otto What kind of mileage are you getting towing it?
I'm shopping trailers and have a 06 megacab 5.9l and wondering where I want to look for size of trailer.
All depends on the speed. Mine is only a 4 speed (48RE) transmission. In addition to that, my Dodge has 4.10s in it. It's a towing monster, but man once those RPM's get 2k or above, the fuel mileage plummets. If you have the discipline to keep it at 60, it'll get a solid 14MPG, and of course only gets better below that. At 65, I get low 12s. I never run it consistently past 70, because it's screaming at those speeds.

Obviously, the numbers are higher not towing, but the truck's MPG drops about the same amount at the given speeds when empty, so the trailer doesn't add a whole lot of drag to it.

It never has, however, downshifted on the highway. At all. She's begging to get a 5th wheel hitch on it and tow something that's well past the 5 digit weight range. :D

TLRSKUNK

I towed a Flat front 8x14 and was in the 14 range(hand calculated) running 70 in mine. which puts me right at 2K rpm. I'm hoping a V-Front helps a little when I finally buy a trailer.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
matt2212;293709 wrote: If I may add to the above post

I have a very similar trailer 7x18 dual axle and I towed it with a 1500 extra cab Chevrolet no problem, I even went from NE NC to NOLA and back in a long weekend.

Having a good brake controller is a must and even though I do not have a weight distributing hitch I do understand they are helpful

You will know its back there and you will burn some fuel but if you have the right mindset it is no problem to tow it thousands of miles
Yes...oh yes, a good brake controller is a must-have!