6/12 A group BHF

TurnOneRacing

I was running 16/47 on my 07 750 and loved it... Really helps the 750 come off of a corner well. Ask George K about it as well, took me a while to get him on board but I think he would agree. Just my 2 cents...

GK#103

TurnOneRacing;197389 wrote: I was running 16/47 on my 07 750 and loved it... Really helps the 750 come off of a corner well. Ask George K about it as well, took me a while to get him on board but I think he would agree. Just my 2 cents...
Tom..what's up bud! You know my TurnOne750 is rocking this season.(thanks Joe:)) Feel free to visit us out at the track, It's always available for ya if you get the itch for some wheelies,stoppies & burn out's.:D see you soon.

John#12

Thanks Ed and Jim. Not only was this very entertaining, but it was also very instructive.

Like everyone else I am trying to improve my riding. I look at this video and compare what Jim is doing to what I do and some very interesting differences are noteworthy.

I noticed his line into and through the carousel and how the engine revs build while going through there. Last weekend I worked on my entrance speed by braking later and while leaning over, and on rolling on the gas while leaned over. I found that my line changed to be more like his, and that the back end comes around ever so slightly under acceleration to help point the bike in the desired direction, and that I now go through there a hell of a lot faster than before. Of course, I was told to do these things by CRs, but seeing it done helps, and of course one ultimately has to try something before it can be improved on.

I notice that Jim is blipping the throttle and downshifting very smoothly while braking hard. I quit trying to blip a few years ago because I was told by a reputable source that blipping correctly while braking hard is very difficult and that most of the time it isn't necessary. Not that this wasn't good advice at the time given my skill level. It probably was good advice. At the same time, this same person said blipping does have its place and that he himself uses it. Maybe I should go back to it and practice until it is easy, assuming that someday it will actually become easy. Does it ever?

My entrance speeds into 1, 6a, and 7 could be a lot higher. I think my slowness into these turns has to do with everything that is happening just before the turn, like my mind is on shifting and braking? I notice that Jim gets his downshifting done earlier in the braking zone than I typically do. I was taught to get the downshifting done early so that my brain is freed up to judge entrance speed and on using the brakes, but I keep going back to my old habit of downshifting late in the braking zone.

I also notice that sometimes Jim's rear wheel is bouncing during braking - no worries, he just lets of the brakes a tad and turns it. He didn't run off the track, or vow to never do it again, or $#it his pants, just set it down then turn.

Another thing I'm starting to realize is that you don't have to take the ideal line when going through a corner. These "A" guys are all over the place through the turns depending on the situation at hand.

And one can do like hell on Q2s, so it is more the rider than the tire.

And then there's the all important trail braking...

So much to work on, but so much fun.

See you all in September.

John
#12 Intermediate

ERB68

John#12;199142 wrote: I mean "...go like hell on Q2s..." sorry.
No worries John.

You point out a lot of good things.

Yes, you should get back to work on blipping the throttle. (rev matching) I had the luxury of practicing this technique on my street bike for years. It is not as necessary if you have a slipper clutch.

Another good way to work on corner speed is to brake at the same place as before but focus on not braking as hard as you trail brake your way in. At least that helped me a lot.