A group rider question

DB_ZX10r

I was just doing some thinking and was wondering about crashing so I thought I'd ask all the riders in "A" group. How many are in "A" group who have never crashed on the track? And of those who have crashed was it it "B" and "I" group or after you made it to "A"? Or both? Just curious!!

Once in "I" totally my fault - Rolled off the throttle mid corner in Turn 7 at Putnam and the front washed out. Once in "A", also totally my fault by trying to get one more session out of a set of slicks.

It's not a matter of if, it is simply a matter of when and how hard...

Katie785

once after a year I was in A group... and it was in a race and a totally freak accident on the straight. Haven't managed to crash during a track day yet... do this sport long enough, and it's likely it's going to happen. BUT it's much better to have it happen in the controlled environment of the track and not the street.

I have heard from many people that in order to really push myself to the edge and go even faster, I'm going to have to learn where the edge is.. and that will likely result in a low side, but it's a way to learn.

I, personally, have always rode rather cautiously, which is likely the reasoning for my low crash count(riding on financed bikes you have to!! lol) BUT I have done an absolute ton of track days and would probably be going even faster if I had less of a fear of binning it.

Avoid crashing: don't ride over your head, be smooth and consistent, mind your mechanical condition, mind your physical and mental fatigue. Drink water. Lots of water. And workout :)

gkotlin

Have I crashed? Of course.

People crash for a variety of reasons in every group.
Running off track - Stay on the track!
Lack of focus - Stay hydrated and don't ride if your tired. Take a break and if your mindset isn't on riding. Don't ride.
Over riding the equipment - Grow and progress slowly and in stages. Don't push excessively. Some fear or concern is good to keep the ego in check.
Ride with a reason - Every time you go out on the track, work on something. Body position, lines, etc. Don't go out with the attitude "I'm going to go fast" fast is a product of many solid skills practiced together.
Don't think about crashing! Think about riding better. If you think about crashes, you'll crash. Think happy, warm fuzzy, fast laps of fun and safe relaxtion. When you come in after a session, you're friends will shower you with praise and fun. The alternative is the crash truck ride of shame.

steve p

I don't even like to think about the C word in my head, bad karma. Everyone crashes period. Stay in the sport long enough and it is gonna happen. Might not even be your fault, those are the worst. I try not to ride like an old lady when I go out. Like Gkotlin said, I go out with a purpose and try to work on one or two things then come in and try to process all the info. At the end of the day when the traffic is less I try to put everything together on the track then go home in one piece.

And yes I have crashed.

Jiggy

Control Rider
Once in "I", but occasionally I have my supermotard experience running offtrack and keeping the bike on two wheels. *MotoGP SPOILER TO FOLLOW- PROCEED TO READ WITH CAUTION* Rossi wrecked today- no one is immune. I think for those that are fortunate enough to remember their wrecks, we all know what we have done wrong and have made the necessary adjustments to lessen the likelyhood of that same mistake happening again. Its an expensive lesson.

Blaise

3 crashes so far -

1) First day in I, poor body position, going WAY too fast. Dragging pegs, exhaust, etc... lost the rear.
2) Highsided after putting DC3s on. Always check your tire pressure! I had 55psi in the rear...
3) Lowside in the rain in the carousel at NJMP. Lost the front as I crossed over the sealant.

Crashing happens, it's no big thing.

BigKid

Hundreds of track days under my belt, 3 crashes. Actually made it almost 5 years in-between last crashes.

LesPow

Control Rider
Moto GP Spoiler my @ss...I read faster than my brain processes info. Then I tried to ignore the Rossi wrecked part by taking my eyes away, but too late.

All crashes in "I", first crash, late breaking into Jeff. turn one, Sec. high speed into turn on VIR S, the fast left in the back cant rem. what # turn, putting my hand up for a red flag, new gloves and renthal grips, put my left hand up, sat up ever so slightly, right hand hit the gas and that was all she wrote......eight flips into the grass the bike went, and I walked away luckily.

jpaulsen

Once at a track day in "I" back then. Following a CR around after lunch and found out my speed exceeded the 2 year old take off's I was using. Nice soft lowside as I lost the rear on the exit of an uphill left turn. Only other time was during a Novice race and it was purely rider error/impatience...it was a costly one, in more ways than one!:eek:

Revvin' Evan

Crashed on my 21st track day which was my 10th track day in "A" group. Entered turn 9 at Jennings a little hot, didn't roll on the throttle and lost the front......there is video of my stupidity on youtube:doh:

snikwad

Rasta, are you talking about the fast left before the downhill? That's a fast turn man, glad you walked away.
Did you just loose the front on the brakes at JC turn 1.

This is an interesting thread I think, you A guys go so damn fast, its just amazing to watch and hear you guys go by.

One day. :) one stinking day.

First full day in A. Caught a false neutral heading into turn 6 at HPT, so I lost some deceleration. Instinct brought me back to sitting in the classroom in B group, hearing Marshall say "If you're going in hot, and don't think you're going to make it, just look through the turn and trust the bike....you'll make it!" Well, another 5 feet and I had it.

I'm glad we're not reporting close calls.

Landshark

Control Rider
Perfect timing to read this thread. LOL I just tucked the front end after unloading infront of my house (20ft of front tire skid mark). Saved it with the throttle. Just goes to show you it can happen anytime anyplace when you aren't thinkin!

DFlowe

I crashed once in the beginner group, twice in intermediate and all were my fault. The beginner crash was a highside and totaled the bike; the two in intermediate were both lowside crashes in exactly the same spot, only a few laps apart and didn't do much damage. It seems I'm hardheaded and didn't learn my lesson the first time.