Anyone have a Harbor Freight 4 x 8 folding trailer?

(RRRRRR)

Anyone have a Harbor Freight 4 x 8 folding trailer? I have a 04 Honda Civic, trying to get to more track days, and want to trailer my own bike..any issues? I would like to possibly tow 2 bikes. Any input, pics, ideas?? thanks!!

jtdbsr

I do. Trailer assembly is very important, especially the wheel hub. Make sure you grease them proper and adjust the bearing preload to have a very slight play. The 12" tires spin a lot faster than your car tires and generate some heat. Check the frame to make sure its square and square it to the axle to reduce tire wear.

The trailer will be a lot less flexible if you use a one piece plywood decking. Obviously, if the folding feature is a must, use a two piece. Towed 2 bikes from NJ to TN and back last summer without any issues and several track days since.

yokel84

I'm interested to hear if anyone else on here is already pulling one of these.

I just bought an HF 4x8, and it's in the box in my garage waiting til this weekend for me to have time to assemble it! I'll post up pics of the setup once I do it, but there's already a bazillion step-by-step builds of various setups using this trailer on the webz.

My takeaways so far:

-To be on the safe side, you need the 12" wheels if you're doing any highway (I got the ~1200lb rated trailer bc it comes with these. Even though it's a little bit heavier, it made the most sense price wise over buying the 800lb rated trailer and 12" wheels separately.

-Everyone says to immediately clean, and regrease the bearings

-I got one of those HF wheel chocks to mount on plywood on the deck of the trailer. I plan on positioning it so that the weight of the bike will be centered (important)

-I'll be towing with on '03 Subaru WRX 5spd.+turbo so it probably has an even lower tow rating than your car (1,000 w/o brakes 2,000 with). With 2 bikes on the trailer, it sounds like you shouldn't put much else. Many have towed a bike MANY miles with this setup with no problems Driving EXTREMELY cautiously for the brakes and transmission (especially if you have a manual transmission)

I'm aware my setup is Micky Mouse in the extreme, but It's what I could get. I'm into it for about $450 so far (hitch/trailer/chock/hardware). I'll either be laughing as I blow by duramaxes at the fuel pump; or they'll be laughing at me on the side of the highway with melted brakes and smoking clutch :D

-I got my trailer hitch from UHAUL-They'll ship it to your house FOR FREE

(RRRRRR)

jtdbsr;295943 wrote: I do. Trailer assembly is very important, especially the wheel hub. Make sure you grease them proper and adjust the bearing preload to have a very slight play. The 12" tires spin a lot faster than your car tires and generate some heat. Check the frame to make sure its square and square it to the axle to reduce tire wear.

The trailer will be a lot less flexible if you use a one piece plywood decking. Obviously, if the folding feature is a must, use a two piece. Towed 2 bikes from NJ to TN and back last summer without any issues and several track days since.
What vehicle did you tow with?

(RRRRRR)

yokel84;295944 wrote: I'm interested to hear if anyone else on here is already pulling one of these.

I just bought an HF 4x8, and it's in the box in my garage waiting til this weekend for me to have time to assemble it! I'll post up pics of the setup once I do it, but there's already a bazillion step-by-step builds of various setups using this trailer on the webz.

My takeaways so far:

-To be on the safe side, you need the 12" wheels if you're doing any highway (I got the ~1200lb rated trailer bc it comes with these. Even though it's a little bit heavier, it made the most sense price wise over buying the 800lb rated trailer and 12" wheels separately.

-Everyone says to immediately clean, and regrease the bearings

-I got one of those HF wheel chocks to mount on plywood on the deck of the trailer. I plan on positioning it so that the weight of the bike will be centered (important)

-I'll be towing with on '03 Subaru WRX 5spd.+turbo so it probably has an even lower tow rating than your car (1,000 w/o brakes 2,000 with). With 2 bikes on the trailer, it sounds like you shouldn't put much else. Many have towed a bike MANY miles with this setup with no problems Driving EXTREMELY cautiously for the brakes and transmission (especially if you have a manual transmission)

I'm aware my setup is Micky Mouse in the extreme, but It's what I could get. I'm into it for about $450 so far (hitch/trailer/chock/hardware). I'll either be laughing as I blow by duramaxes at the fuel pump; or they'll be laughing at me on the side of the highway with melted brakes and smoking clutch :D

-I got my trailer hitch from UHAUL-They'll ship it to your house FOR FREE
Thanks!!

erick1670

I had one; at the time was fitted with the SST stands, sold it b/c I had only one bike. Now I have a kendon single, but got another HF b/c I have 2 bikes againg :D

I pull it with an Honda Accord 95 manual, no problems at all

Jay305

Local two wheeled buddy moved across country to CA and towed a bike on the HF, other than over-greasing the wheel bearings I don't think I was an issue. Still uses it today.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
I'd recommend a trailer from Lowe's or TSC over HF, unless you find one used that's a deal, or need the ability to fold up the trailer. I really liked having the 15" wheels on my 5x8 with the wood deck. I removed the factory metal ramp (Expanded mesh) that still acted like a sail in the wind at speeds.

I can neither confirm nor deny towing that trailer at 85MPH+ (Behind my '07 STi...lol) for 7 hours straight to and from Road Atlanta with nary a problem. I probably wouldn't have been as confident doing that on 10" or 12" wheels.

(RRRRRR)

erick1670;295951 wrote: I had one; at the time was fitted with the SST stands, sold it b/c I had only one bike. Now I have a kendon single, but got another HF b/c I have 2 bikes againg :D

I pull it with an Honda Accord 95 manual, no problems at all
Nice!!thanks!!!!:D

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
I had this trailer years ago and wish I still had it from time to time. It pulls pretty well with 12" wheels. Hard to notice it's there. Marine grade plywood on the bed helps stabilize the trailer. Expect to replace the wiring harness after 2/3 years. Best to use Pit-Bull TRS or SST stands. If you use traditional chocks, you will need to attach outriggers for tie-downs. You will need a ramp as well. HF sells a decent metal ramp(in pairs).

If you can get one that already has tags you will save yourself a lot of hassle. In PA, you build it then have to find someone who is approved to inspect it, do a multi-point inspection, fill out pages and pages of forms, take photos, notary then wait quite a while for the tags. It's a real PITA.

some guy #2

I've used one to haul 2 bikes since 2009. No problems but I always pulled it with a V6 Tacoma. I used a Condor wheel chock but the HF version will work as well. I use the Pit Bull TRS for both bikes and it makes loading/unloading easier.

I would pull all the bearings (2 outside, 2 inside) and re-pack them all. I would also buy a spare wheel at HF and new bearings/seals or a hub since they are a metric size and hard to find at a store. I've been able to order all those parts from either HF or online.

Blipstein

I have one. We just finished our 8th season together. I pulled it with a 95 Civic up to 211k miles on it (new car now). Basically never did a damn thing to it at all. I check the tire pressure once in a while. Never had any issues.

Get it, hook it up and roll, son.

Werd

yokel84

Blipstein;295992 wrote: We just finished our 8th season together. I pulled it with a 95 Civic up to 211k
Ouch, I just basically called a control rider's setup Jenky :wow: On the plus side, I'm feeling a little more at home in this org now

do your carry a pitbike on it too? maybe one that likes to pop wheelies at VIR? :D

Blipstein

yokel84;296003 wrote: Ouch, I just basically called a control rider's setup Jenky :wow: On the plus side, I'm feeling a little more at home in this org now

do your carry a pitbike on it too? maybe one that likes to pop wheelies at VIR? :D
That's ok man....just don't be surprised when you go to sign up for your next track day and you've been bumped back down to B :haha:

I started carrying a pit bike this year....an XR100. No problems at all. Started using the pit bull restraint system at about the same time. Everything is kosher dude

Irish01

Blipstein;296004 wrote: That's ok man....just don't be surprised when you go to sign up for your next track day and you've been bumped back down to B :haha:

I started carrying a pit bike this year....an XR100. No problems at all. Started using the pit bull restraint system at about the same time. Everything is kosher dude
You my Brotha roll in STYLE!!!! That trailer is fine, it's what you pull it with that makes the rider and Blipstein does it Right! :adore: