Are tire warmers worth it if you aren't that fast?

rk97;238250 wrote: . . . it's totally possible to get to "A" without running warmers or race tires.
Really? Quite a statement.

I'll get warmers, soon if I come across a good deal, later if not. For consistancy of tire performance if nothing else. Now I have to start researching which ones.

I appreciate the feedback and comments. I just got a generator and have to buy a new helmet so I'll have to run it by Finance - the wife :D No worry she'll be for it. She encouraged the track bike. :)

Again thanks for the education.

Reg

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
rk97;238250 wrote: ... but it's totally possible to get to "A" without running warmers or race tires.
afinepoint wrote:
Really? Quite a statement.
rk97's correct. If you've ever taken a school such as Schwantz or YCRS and see the instructors riding on Pilot Powers, Q2s, or the equivalent hypersport street tire with no warmers, it'll drive that point home! :)

I started using warmers just last year. I got my bump last year, but I can't attribute it to running warmers, although I do like being able to set more consistent hot pressures, and having more confidence in the tires the first lap out.

Buckeye96

My 2 cents: It helps save your tires, because it reduces the heat cycles the tire experiences. Having my tires last longer and not having to worry so much about them getting hard is why i run warmers in B. Well, I also don't like running on cold tires.

fclark00

I've never had tire warmers and I am a middle of the pack A rider. Knock on wood but i've never had a cold tire crash after 60 or so trackdays. I just try to accelerate and brake hard on the first lap to get heat into the tires. A couple of times i've borrowed some and it was nice. I didn't notice my tires lasting any longer but it did feel like i had a little more grip on the first lap. I'd like to get some eventually but for some reason i've always put the extra money I had towards more trackdays or tires. After the first session or two I've always noticed that the tires come up to temp much quicker.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Buckeye96;238343 wrote: My 2 cents: It helps save your tires, because it reduces the heat cycles the tire experiences. Having my tires last longer and not having to worry so much about them getting hard is why i run warmers in B. Well, I also don't like running on cold tires.
And there's really nothing wrong with running them in B. A lot of this stuff is mental/confidence. :)

Sorry rk97 I misread your comment. I thought you said it wasn't possible to make it to "A" without race tires or warmers. Thus my "Quite a statement" reply. I'm straight now.

Reg

rk97

No worries. I am working out a deal to buy warmers from another NESBA rider right now, but mainly for racing and to save heat cycles on race rubber.

At track days, I kind of enjoy the mental warmup of taking it easy a couple of laps, but I guess there is something to be said about getting the most laps for your dollar. And if you're an "I" rider trying to keep up with a CR on the out lap, warmers are probably helpful there too.

I put the tire warmer question to Dunlop and here's their reply:

Good morning Reg,
Thank you for taking the time to contact Dunlop Motorcycle & ATV.

Thank you for taking the time to contact us with your Dunlop motorcycle tire questions. If the ambient air temperature is above 60 F, then tire warmers are probably not necessary. If the temperature is below 60 F, then we recommend setting both the front and rear at 140 F for 20 - 30 minutes.

The use of tire warmers is basically just a confidence boost when you first start a race or riding session. It allows the tires to be warmer and grippier from the start. There is no problem with using them however in a track day situation.

I would recommend that you start off at a slower pace and then increase your rate as you and the tires warm up in
a lap or 2. If you are just starting out, I would also suggest discussing with more experienced riders to see what works for them.

Its kind of one of those black magic racing things that everyone thinks they have the answer to.

Should you need any further information or assistance, please call Dunlop Consumer Affairs @ 800-845-8378 or e-mail us.

regards,
Consumer Affairs
Dunlop Motorcycle & ATV Tire Division

JRA

Dude, enough of the constant advertising for MotoD this and MotoD that. Every one of your posts is trying to sell something for your business. Selling a personal item in the classifieds is fine, but constantly using this message board as a marketing tool for your business without approval is not.

Meat

For me, all this motod crap has severely turned me off to the product, and I know nothing about it other than the marketing campaign waged on the nesba forum is pretty irritating to me. For that reason, I don't see myself ever buying a motod product. I am sure there are many others on the forum that feel exactly the same way.

Pedal your crap somewhere else.