B or I?

K7gix750

Hello everyone, I recently moved to Columbus, OH from Cali and I'm signing up to be a member with NESBA. I have a couple of questions. First the registration page is asking me if I want B or I group. I've ridden sportbikes for 10 years, but last year was my first attempt at track days. I started out in B groups but after 3 days I was bumped up to I and then ran some "open" track days with Advance guys right before I moved with no issues. I even asked them in the pits if I was slowing them down and they told me not at all, that it was more about the fact that I was predictable than my speed.

I've heard NESBA's groups are faster than most? Anyway I don't know the tracks around here as I've never been on them before but I don't want to pay a chunk of hard earned money only to ride around bored in B group. The verbage on the member registration for B says, "if you've never been to the track before..." So I'm thinking I should start in I and then if I'm too slow I can be bumped down? Or should I start in B to learn the tracks and feel things out? What is the process to get bumped from B to I and is it done between sessions or only after the day is over?

Ok, that's a LOT of questions. Any help would be appreciated. Regardless my first day with NESBA will be the May Mid-Ohio day :D

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
There is a lot to be learned in the B group. If you are skilled enough, you will stand out and get moved up. If you are fast, yet out of control, they will see that as well. There is a definite possibility that you could be bumped down. I've seen it happen several times. Just sign up in B and feel like the big fish for a while. 10 years on the street amounts to about 3 trackdays. Totally different animals. By the way, welcome to the club.

beac83

Welcome to NESBA!

The CR's are pretty good about seeing those who are ready to move up, and providing end of session pointers to anyone who asks. Whichever you choose, you will be fine. If you choose incorrectly, you will quickly get sorted by the CR's

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Welcome to the Family that is NESBA

I don't care how mentally tough you are...any demotion is a blow to one's ego..and we all have egos..it's human and undeniable.

I say start in B. That allows you a slightly less pressured introduction to the tracks you want to ride with us. If your pace, predictability, track manners (clean/safe/controlled passing of other riders), and decision making (see track manners) all indicate you're ready to move up it won't take long to be moved to I group.

IF not, then if you can openly leave your ego in the paddock, open your mind, and engage the more than friendly and helpful NESBA Control Riders for feedback and guidance...then soon you'll be on your way to I group.

It's just so much easier to handle getting promoted rather than demoted. It always just presents such a sense of personal satisfaction and confidence boosting.why rob yourself of that?

And with NESBA..it only happens twice & it's not easy...so when it does...enjoy the moment.

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Welcome to NESBA!!

I started track days with NESBA last year in B group in July. I had no idea what to expect since I had never been on the track before. It really opened my eyes in a lot of ways and I realized how much I had to learn. I have heard the same about NESBA riders being faster. I second Thunderace's recommendation about starting out in B. If you feel confident enough after a couple of sessions you can line up in the front of the pack and the CR's will watch you closely. If they feel you are ready they will bump you. You may run into a bit of traffic in B if it gets crowded, but that just gives you a good opportunity to practice passing ;-)

And by the way, in the short time I have been with NESBA I have nothing but praise for these guys. I have had a phenomenal time with them as a group, met lots of cool folks and learned more about riding in 6 months then I had known in 16 years!!

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
if you think B group is boring...then you belong in Intro....

Some of the best times were when right before I was being bumped and I was able to set people up properly; without riding their tails like an arsehole.

Welcome to NESBA, start in B

K7gix750

I should quantify that with one of the orgs B groups I rode in, the entire morning sessions no passing was allowed. It got frustrating being 5 riders back from a CR (so you couldn't even see the proper line) and not being allowed to make a pass. My old man rides faster on his Harley than the pace we ran in some of the sessions; and I am not exagerating, he was there for one and made the same comment. Hence the statement about being bored. I didn't ride with that org again.

Thanks for the feedback so far, I'm surprised there have been no differing opinions :notsure:. I didn't think about the "blow to the ego" by being demoted. I can see the embarassment in that for sure. Although I have no ego when it comes to this sport, I have no delusions about my place in this scene.

More than anything, I understand there are no checkers at the end of the session, and my primary goal is to take the bike and my body home in one piece. I pride myself on riding smooth and predictable and if I feel like I'm holding someone up I let them by instead of pinning it on the straight. With all of that said, what, aside from bombing someone in a corner, or not holding a line ever...or something else ridiculous; what would get one demoted from I to B?

wesmith443

Man I dont know. If B is crowded it sucks! I ran in I in south Florida and when i moved back home to Baltimore I started with B group for Nesba. My first track day here was summit main. I was very irritated that I couldnt get into a flow. Very seldom could I accelerate to my braking point for beginners braking extremely early. Carrying good steady cornerspeed was difficult as well. Now I was one of those riders that irritate me when I first started track riding so i understand but I like a little more room to work. However Nesba "B/I" is south florida "I" group so Nesba is faster in my opinion. If you do "B" group my advice is to start at the front and follow the CR out and make the first couple laps stand out because after that you will run into the slow beginners.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Welcome to NESBA!! as for the group I would start at whichever group you feel most comfortable...the CR's will detect if you're a safety hazard to yourself or others and handle it accordingly. Some people choose a group they "think" they are ready for, I chose "B"...in my opinion, if you've been away from the track a while or maybe lacking in some area of experience it's more of an accomplishment to get bumped... it's a privilage that you've earn!!

Bearsfirehawk

How old ARE you, and how old do you ACT? That will tell you everything you need to know about where you belong. Is safety your main concern or showboating? When you answer these questions YOU AND ONLY YOU will know right where you belong. Welcome to Nesba.

erick1670

You said that you have run in "I" group and done some open track days with Advance riders and you ask then for feedback and got the you din`t geld anybody and you feld good riding a that pace, I would choose "I" anyway the first 2 sessions of the day Nesba CR always do about 2 to 3 laps eazy pace in the morning when is a bit cold. You can use that time to learn the track...you should be fine if you have riden in "I" group before.... Welcome to Nesba and enjoy.....I always do:D

Ruhe52

K7gix750 , it really comes down to how comfortable you are on the track. The B or I debate is an old and tricky one. The question cannot be answered all the time by how many times you have been on the track or how old you are / act. Big questions but not the end all be all.

Have you ever ridden Mid-O?
Coming back to the track+ a new track+ a new org + first of season I would encourage you to try out our B Group.
Now here is the tricky part. After a warm up session or two getting body bike and mind up to operating temp. Are you finding yourself dramatically faster than the riders in your group? Or are you mid pack? If you are riding within your comfort zone, making good judgement calls as to where to pass and being respectful and not spooking other riders. Easily working through traffic within the class rules (which are no passing in turns this will be explained in detail at riders meeting) You are clearly the front of the pack. Next session make sure you head to grid early enough to be one of the first 3 in the left line. That lead CR will be getting a good look at you during the session. He or She will be riding mid pack pace for the next level. This is not the time to try and put down the qualifying lap. Ride how you ride not at 110%. Focus and have fun. Be consistent hitting braking and turn in markers, holding your line etc. If you are ready you will be bumped if not you will get some top notch feedback as to what to work on.
If you still have work to do work on those things and continue to work with the CRs on track and talk to them about what you are looking to improve off track. Get feedback. Keys have fun enjoy the day and improve your skills. No need to be in a hurry to get to the next group. We all want to improve. Use your time to build a foundation that will help you progress faster in the next group as well.

You will be getting feedback from AMA, WERA, CCS pros and folks that have tons of track time under their belt. They have all been where you are before.

Have fun and welcome to NESBA we are glad to have ya rollin' with us.

steve hale

Try I

If you have been on the track a good bit and rode with advanced b4, you know what you are doing. I would definitly go I especially if you have been on the track that you are going to be riding on with nesba. If its your 1st time on a particular track it would not be bad to try B. I have not ridden since last fall at the track and aguably I still remember how to ride... As they say "Its like riding a bike"

For the record, my 1st track day ever was in I, about two weeks after I did the schwantz school. I had a cr follow me and He said I was A ok as I was not sure I belonged in I either...:)

GoodKnight

As others have mentioned, NESBA's B group isn't like other B groups.

There's some quick/great riding in the B group. And just like you've heard, NESBA's groups do tend to be faster than other orgs. There are some people who run in other org's Advance groups who are I groupers with NESBA.

K7gix750

Thank you all for the awesome feedback. I'm going to sign up for B and hope I don't get "lost in the shuffle" of all the other B riders trying to impress CR's in order to get a bump.

Ruhe52

You will be fine. Welcome to NESBA.

Hope to see you make a trip down to the SE sometime. Enjoy your day at Mid O.

geckert

K7gix750;109828 wrote: I'm going to sign up for B and hope I don't get "lost in the shuffle" of all the other B riders trying to impress CR's in order to get a bump.
If you want to get noticed by the CR's do some wheelies down the straight ;)

Yea B group is good. Start mid-pack and compare yourself to others. If you are good and think 'I' is where you belong start lining up out front and talk to the CRs.

barry38

K7gix750;109828 wrote: Thank you all for the awesome feedback. I'm going to sign up for B and hope I don't get "lost in the shuffle" of all the other B riders trying to impress CR's in order to get a bump.
I think starting in "B" is a good choice. Here is what I would recommend you do at your first event. Introduce yourself to the B Group captain and explain your situation. Tell him you just want to ride the first session to get a feel for things, and then if you feel pretty comfortable, ask them to ride with you in the second or third session and give you some feedback............. Here is what we want to see. Be on the race line. Be smooth. Be consistant. Manage traffic while following the group rules. While pace (speed) is important, it's usually the last thing I look at after all of the other things.

Believe me, we are evaluting from the first lap to the last lap of every session. If you are riding well, we will notice. Our job is to help people ride better and move to the next level, that's the fun part of being a CR!!!!!!

GoodKnight

barry38;109835 wrote:
Believe me, we are evaluting from the first lap to the last lap of every session. If you are riding well, we will notice. Our job is to help people ride better and move to the next level, that's the fun part of being a CR!!!!!!
Couldnt be any more true! There were times I would ride by myself (or think i was riding by myself), then i'd ride with a CR later in the day and they would comment about my riding in the morning.

Point being, the CR's are always watching and evaluating, even when you dont think they are. They're like ninjas!