BeaveRun with WERA

Katie785

Congrats to all the nesba folks who ran this weekend!

The weekend started out rough. I went out for Saturday practice and I noticed some oil on my boot after coming in. We ripped the bike apart a bit and figured it was one of the valve cover bolts. Got it siliconed up and went out for my solo 20.

I finally got a good grid position (4th row left) but stalled on the start and the entire pack passed me as I waived my hands for dear life not to be ass-packed. I got it in gear and caught the first pack of guy in turn 1. Passed them coming out of 6 and got the second pack going into 10. About 8 guys total. I really just got what I needed (anger and determination) to go fast and be aggressive. The race was red-flagged 5 laps in because of 2 riders off. One was in 4 and the other off in 7.

They got us back out there and I got a good start, was aggressive in turn 1, which is something that I really needed to work on after my accident. I had just lost all my aggressiveness and I was practically letting guys by me if they got too close. Not this weekend... I stuck with the pack for the most part and saw the half way flag. That's when my tires started to really break loose. I lost the front in turn 1. Then again in turn 5. Again in turn 10. I knew something was up... I knew my tires had over 800 laps on them mostly without warmers and I'm sure that had something to do with it. I dropped about 1-2 seconds in lap time just trying to keep the bike upright. I got passed by 2 guys who I knew I was normally faster than. I had a few opportunities to get them back, but everytime i would go into 1 at my normal pace the front slid. On the exit of 10 the rear spun up.

I made it through the race and finished 11th. Not bad. I got back to the pits and my leathers and boot were covered in oil. The swingarm had a nice dusting of it as well as the entire right side of my bike. That would explain the sliding. Overall, I was happy.

Saturday night was tear down my bike night and get Drew's back into shape (I'll let him explain that). I pulled out one of the spark plug things and it was filled with oil. It turns out the gasket on the valve cover wasnt on properly and it was just coming out of the spark plug hole. Ripped the bike apart - tank, airbox, rad etc and got the valve cover off to fix the gasket. ALL GOOD TO GO!

Sunday were sprints. I only ran A superstock and C superbike.
I got a good start in the C race (5th row left on the grid) and held my ground, finishing 13th. No issues during this race and I ran consistent times during the whole thing.

The A race I started dead last again (row 20 third wave ) but managed to gain alot of ground the first lap and finished 14th. It was a heavy grid with experts and novice's but I really didnt notice too much traffic until the experts started coming through. Holy Hell are they aggressive. It wasnt even the fact that they were THAT much faster, they were just passing EVERYWHERE. Places I would never think. And they certainly didn't care if they chopped off your front wheel in the kinks.

It was a rough start to the weekend with the motor problems, but no wrecks for me (woot!) and I met my goal of top 15 for the weekend.

It seemed like it was a Nesba thing to be working on the bikes though. Wade, Drew, Gary all had bike issues, but for the most part were able to get out there and represent!

I have to thank Joe Vital, Jane and Mike for all the great help this weekend!! It was more than I could have imagined!

RacerRuss

Katie was too nice in not mentioning that I caused the red flag in MW Solo in Turn 7. It all started off well enough as I went from the 3rd row to second place in the first lap. I was passed going into 1 by someone to start lap 2. I went the next 3 laps right on the guy's tail turing a best of 1:02.5 lap time (did I mention it was my first time at the track, so I was about 20 laps into my Beave career). He made a small mistake and slightly overshot 7 and I tried to turn under him and just got on the gas too hard, instant high side. I am not sure, but I think I saw Sputnik. I came back down on top of the bike at which point I was knocked cold (I think) and then I fell off. After tumbling the appropriate number of times for the speed I was going and the bike ghost riding itself a little further down the road, the ambulance came. I was able to get up and walk to the abulance and I did not yet go to the doctor, but I have some very sore ribs, a very sore foot and all exposed parts (knees, elbows, fingers, etc.) being banged and bruised. Needless to say, I decided not to ride on Sunday.

Bike got off pretty easy with just a clip on, brake lever and brake resevoir. and a little bruised up body work. I should be back at Summit on Sep 20th.

rotorblade

My weekend wasn't quite as bad as Russ's, but it wasn't great either. Sat out both days due to a tempermental bike not quite wanting to run right, and then when it decided to run right it decided it would rather store the gas in the bellypan rather than the gas tank. The excitement didn't end there; on the way home the rear passenger tire decided the tread should no longer stay in contact with the rest of the tire and removed itself in a rapid fashion along with most of the car's bumber and rocker panel. In fact, if Katie and Drew and passed me ten minutes earlier you would've seen me on the side putting on a donut and bungeeing on my bumper pissed as hell.

Katie785

Damn wade, i was wondering why you were driving so slow... too bad we didnt see you earlier, we would have helped you out for sure!

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
Sorry I didn't make it out, but sounds like some of you had quite the adventure.

Macon663

Sounds like a wild weekend. That turn 7 can be a tricky...good to hear your ok russ and congrats on the results katie.

Marcmcm

rotorblade;12549 wrote: My weekend wasn't quite as bad as Russ's, but it wasn't great either. Sat out both days due to a tempermental bike not quite wanting to run right, and then when it decided to run right it decided it would rather store the gas in the bellypan rather than the gas tank. The excitement didn't end there; on the way home the rear passenger tire decided the tread should no longer stay in contact with the rest of the tire and removed itself in a rapid fashion along with most of the car's bumber and rocker panel. In fact, if Katie and Drew and passed me ten minutes earlier you would've seen me on the side putting on a donut and bungeeing on my bumper pissed as hell.
The trip to Beaver steals another tire and misc bodypanels....bastard! I think that place is just bad luck these days.

Yank 521

Control Rider
congrats katie on finding your aggressiveness. now just keep it up, we all know how fast u really are. drew, congrats on your weekend other than race #3. wade, congrats on your quality beer drinking skills. sorry to hear about the car troubles. maybe it was from all the food u slammed down. lol.. manotti, great job bro. i think u had maybe your best weekend there. u most def. pick up your game alot since we were there with nesba 2 weeks ago. now my weekend... wow.. my bike would not launch at all. it has major unknown problems. clutch will not slip at all. it catches so hard it feels like u just got hit from behind from a car. almost got me and a couple other riders hurt. i learned maybe the biggest lesson in my 2 years of track riding. if i have a problem with my bike and it can affect another rider. i'm not gonna chance it and ride. but here we go. sat. hw solo. started in row 11 i think, but any way. i got a bad start, got passed by about ten riders behind me. my new clutch did not work. kinda made me mad and i rode my ass off to end up getting a 4th. was happy about that. sat. nite i had egor and terrance at my pitts tryin to do everything they could do to try to get my bike working. actually talked to about 15 bike mechanics, everybody was a bit puzzeled. but t. and egor really tried to help me out and donate there time. i owe both of u guys anything but money that i don't have. again thanks alot 4 the help. now sunday under my ez-up was not good at all. wades bike would not show him any love, she was a very sick girl. my bike must have hear i wanted an r6. she didn't like that. the bike gave me the same problem. leone helped me out with some fluid to bleed my clutch. thanks again. race #3 i had a bad but not as bad is i thought and ended up 4th. wasn't happy with that but everybody stepped up there game. Race #8 was gross. i was gridded up first row of the novice, (2nd wave). at the start the bike stalled due to the problem and i was a sitting duck. scary as the 2nd wave and third blew past me as i can feel the wind. got the bike started and started really pushing it. on the third lap my buddy (dean) crashed in the back kink and was not moving. after 2 more laps with the yellow flag i seen him kinda sittin up. was a bit relieved. i ended up finishing 10. not bad for being way behind dead last. when i came into pits the offical said i could not race my bike again that day, wasn't going to anyway due to almost gettin me or somebody else hurt. got to the pits and decided to ask if i could start last. they said no, but i could start on pit road. i exited the pits and could not see anybody. i ended up finished 10th again. was satisfied with that. loaded up and went to the hospital to check on dean. he was pretty banged up. has a broken hip, a compound fracture to the tib. and fib. and broke his thumb, but was awake and talking to the doc... they transported him to a pittsburgh to a place where they can give him the proper care. he had surgery early this morning and when i got there he was a lil looped but in good spirits. when i left tonite he was watchin tv and we even had a couple laughs. so get well buddy. moe, good weekend and good save. it was fun hanging out with u and garret again. taht was my weekend so later everybody.

Suburbanrancher

T'was my first time ever turning a wheel there. No confidence during the A2A day Friday, probably because I was longing for at least one familiar NESBA banner ;)

Friday I was banging out 1:06's, which basically sucks when the other novices are doing 1:01's. Turn right...here. Wait, nooooooooo. HERE.

Saturday came and I had a good 'ol start in the HW solo. Knocked out a slew of 1:03s which for my sillyness was a-okay. Or so I thought. MMMMMmmmmm - 10th.

I suck.

Sunday came. I got all of 4 laps in a red-flagged Formula 1 race. I really should have had my bike in gear at the start - would probably have helped with my launch and all.

9th at the finish. Yup - still sucking.

Wait, what's that? Redemption in "A" Superbike? I'm in like Flynn.

Great start. Fightin' to catch Manotti (1:01's bastid :shutit:). Pass a few, try to stick to his tail.

But ended up 11th - from the third wave though. So i'ssa happy.

Racing is fun fun fun. When you have talent.

Ill let you know when I get some ;)

Yank 521

Control Rider
suburbanrancher, i don't know if we ever met. i was on the flat black 521 bike. i think i ended up running with u and manotti. u far from suck bro. u and manotti was running real good. u guys had me workin hard to keep up to pace. i say good job:adore:

Dave561

Control Rider
Director
That really sucks to hear about Dean. Gary make sure he gets a cute nurse to take care of him.

RollieManollie

Control Rider
Great weekend!!! I dropped my times for the most part but damn was there alot of people out there. And for that many people being out there - there was some great clean racing!! I didn't have the best starts and I kept mis-shifting in the carousel that screwed me out of a 3rd place in the solo...lol!!

Great to see everyone again this weekend!! I didn't party as much as I was planning too but nevertheless, had a fantastic time with everyone. Christina was amazed at racing and everyone helping one another. She also mentioned that Gary was crazy but a really nice guy....lol!!!:notsure: :D

Wade & Gary, get those bikes fixed and we'll hang at Summit!!

Kris - it was good seeing you again this weekend too! For your first time at the Beave you did great!! I only wish I had your speed at Summit!!

pitmomma

Katie--some photos if I may :)
IMG_1781.jpg

One just before sendoff:
IMG_1783.jpg

One wrenching:
IMG_1793.jpg

sorry about the shadows on that.

Suburbanrancher

stealth 521;12689 wrote: suburbanrancher, i don't know if we ever met. i was on the flat black 521 bike. i think i ended up running with u and manotti. u far from suck bro. u and manotti was running real good. u guys had me workin hard to keep up to pace. i say good job:adore:

Thanks man - I saw you out there, you looked good! Like Manotti said, that was some good, clean racing and alot of fun.

Ryan, it was good seeing you again man. Dunno if I can make the last Summit round since I'm at the Indy GP the weekend before, but I'm going to try. Otherwise we have to hook up at a trackday :cool:

Rugby - yup, that was me. Just trying to keep 'em smiling :D And a big congrats on your wins
- you were absolutely flying! :adore:

Drewbie

What a weekend full of ups and downs. Amazing weather, great racing and all around good times. Congrats to all the NESBA guys that represented this weekend. Everyone did very well even the ones with bike trouble.

Saturday started out great. Joe from Joe’s garage put some traxxion valves in my forks to try and get the suspension buttoned up a little bit better on the bike and get me some greatly needed feel. The forks were great. We had some bottoming issues but were able to get that figured out and get the bike really well setup. I was comfortable and ready to race.

The solo just didn’t go well at all. I got an ok start, but was 6th or 7th in turn 1. Got a good comfortable 5 laps in and came into turn 1 on the brakes and just lost the front as I crested the hill. I was dumbfounded. I couldn’t believe I was sliding across pavement AGAIN. Thought I would be able to remount but as I stood up I realized I had somehow stumbled on some sort of yard sale in the grass.. as there were parts everywhere.

The bike was bad. But Joe and Mike of Joe’s Garage were able to find the parts I needed (subframe, battery, rearset, clip-on, fairing stay), and get the bike back together and running by Saturday night. I had all but written off the weekend but these guys did everything they could to get me back out Sunday to get the points I needed.

My first two races were the ones I needed the most.

I got out there in the first race (BSB) and just relaxed. Got a good start, made the passes I needed to make and rode a nice consistent race to 4th place. I did loose the lower however on lap 4. Felt something hit my knee down the straight only to see it laying against the ARMCO the next lap around. It didn’t seem to hurt me as I put down my fastest lap of the weekend that race with a 1:00.8.

Second race was ASB. This is the class I am leading the points in so it was crucial for me to get as many points as I could. I got a good start and made my way to 4th by the first lap. I got around into second. I knew the leader was way down in the points so I let him go and concentrated on riding my own ride. I made a mistake on the last lap that let 3rd catch up and he used his 1000 to get around me in the draft at the line by .02 seconds. Bummer, but I was happy to get 3rd and knew I had run a good race.

The last two races were “throw aways” because I am pretty low in the points. So Joe and I made some changes to the suspension and I had fun racing. The last race of the day was probably my best overall race as I had a great battle with some experts and made some great passes to get 4th place.

Overall a great weekend that finally ended on a good note. I have taken some lumps this year but will not go down without fighting. Im looking forward to getting back to Summit September 20-21 for the second to last round of the WERA Regionals.

I have to thank Piedmont Racing, Speedwerks, and Joe’s Garage for their continued support this year.

rugbymook

Control Rider
Race Director
Suburbanrancher;12744 wrote: Rugby - yup, that was me. Just trying to keep 'em smiling :D And a big congrats on your wins - you were absolutely flying! :adore:
Darn. Should've introduced each other with the bbs names.

Thanks for the congrats. I had a pretty good weekend.

HWT SS Expert: 1st place
HWT SB Expert: 1st place
B SB Expert: 3rd place
B SS Expert: 6th place

I got down to :59.43 for a personal best. I was trying to hit :58's this weekend. I felt real good and know a few places i can carry more speed, so :58's should be very doable next round.

There was some awesome racing all weekend. It was a bummer to see all the technical problems hampering the NESBA faithful.

I need to get info on our guy in the hospital. I'm local and could help out if needed.