Bike towing + wheel choke question

JeremyGSU

If you're using a good wheel chock on a trailer is it still necessary to strap it down on top of it?

Thanks.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Not exactly sure what you mean, what kind of chock? Even with a Baxley that locks in the front wheel, I'd still use tie-down straps (and make sure the Baxley is anchored to the floor). With a regular chock, definitely. All the chock does is keep the wheel straight, otherwise, even if tied down, if the wheel turns, the bike could fall over. Depending on the bike, 4 straps are usually good. Two in the front, either on a Canyon Dancer type handlebar harness, or on soft ties around the triples. Then, two more to keep the rear from bouncing.

LesPow

Control Rider
YES, two at the front and two at the rear. Dont compress the front too much either, it puts stress on your fork seals. Comp. the rear then stabilize the front. Also try to angle the rear tie down straps a little forward, so that it pulls the bike into the front wheel chock.

JeremyGSU

Rasta;52989 wrote: YES, two at the front and two at the rear. Dont compress the front too much either, it puts stress on your fork seals. Comp. the rear then stabilize the front. Also try to angle the rear tie down straps a little forward, so that it pulls the bike into the front wheel chock.
Thanks for the replies. I believe it is a Baxley wheel chock and it is mounted to the trailer floor. Even without the straps the bike doesn't really move but everytime I've borrowed it I strapped it. I just wondered if it was necessary.

Also, you state not to compress it too much which I've heard but above a guy links a how-to tie down and it states:

"Evenly compress the front suspension until the motorcycle is VERY secure and its suspension is nearly fully compressed."

Thanks for the replies.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
DO NOT COMPRESS THE FRONT SUSPENSION!!!! I did this going out to AZ....needless to say, I was riding on springs once I got there....

Here's what I do:

get some good ratchet or tie downs that can loop back on themselves...loop one on each side around the lower triple and either back to the chock (not sure baxley has the available mounts) if the chock is attached to the bed/trailer. Then loop or hook on the subframe or if you have the pillion pegs (I hook around the subframe just above the rearsets)...then attach other end to something forward. secure these tighter than the front ones. The front ones should be taut....not tight...you want the suspension to be able to work a little....

fizzer

lemondrop;53012 wrote: DO NOT COMPRESS THE FRONT SUSPENSION!!!! I did this going out to AZ....needless to say, I was riding on springs once I got there....

Here's what I do:

get some good ratchet or tie downs that can loop back on themselves...loop one on each side around the lower triple and either back to the chock (not sure baxley has the available mounts) if the chock is attached to the bed/trailer. Then loop or hook on the subframe or if you have the pillion pegs (I hook around the subframe just above the rearsets)...then attach other end to something forward. secure these tighter than the front ones. The front ones should be taut....not tight...you want the suspension to be able to work a little....
How can you tie down a bike without compressing the suspension? Certainly there's no need to bottom your forks, but you do have to tie it DOWN.
Compressing suspension does nothing to fork seals. Your forks compress fully a couple times a lap under braking, no sweat. I wonder where the fork seal myth came from?

chambers

I use a Baxley in conjunction with the Pit Bull rear axle trailer restraint. Once locked in my bike isn't going anywhere. My first use with both of them was going to Barber a couple of weeks ago and hit some pretty rough stuff on the way down and no issues

It's never happened to me, but my knowledge about blowing forks seals from transporting is due to prolonged compression. I carried one of my bikes from Memphis, Tn to Colorado Springs and back and didn't have an issue. On the flip side, I have seen some other folks seals blow for lesser amounts of time.

Nashoba

When we strap our bikes, we use the normal Pingel chock. But i strap to the front axle on both sides, and pull down and forward. Then your not on the forks at all, and the suspension on the bikes moves with the road, but the wheel stays tight. Then just pull the rear straight down. We've never had any problems like that.

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
fizzer;53027 wrote: How can you tie down a bike without compressing the suspension? Certainly there's no need to bottom your forks, but you do have to tie it DOWN.
Compressing suspension does nothing to fork seals. Your forks compress fully a couple times a lap under braking, no sweat. I wonder where the fork seal myth came from?
yes, you are correct that the suspension does compress fully a couple times during a track day...however, it is also allowed to decompressing immediately afterward. If you have it tied down, it is not able to decompress.

I'm no suspension expert, but I do know that I lacked all comp/damp properties after having the bike fully strapped down on my trip across the country.

Yes, the bike down need to be tied down, but if you have a decent chock and the rear stabilized, the tie-downs are for guidance/support and not to ratchet the bike to immobility.

If this were not the case, then PitBull and STStands wasted a bunch of money....

JeremyGSU

lemondrop;53049 wrote: yes, you are correct that the suspension does compress fully a couple times during a track day...however, it is also allowed to decompressing immediately afterward. If you have it tied down, it is not able to decompress.

I'm no suspension expert, but I do know that I lacked all comp/damp properties after having the bike fully strapped down on my trip across the country.

Yes, the bike down need to be tied down, but if you have a decent chock and the rear stabilized, the tie-downs are for guidance/support and not to ratchet the bike to immobility.

If this were not the case, then PitBull and STStands wasted a bunch of money....
Yikes! Last time I took my bike Atlanta I had it strapped down so it couldn't move at all! Shit!

I'll have to have my forks checked out before I hit the track. Thanks for replies! I'll make sure it's pushed forward and not too tight.

Fastguy

Did I read correctly that I should have my rear straps pulling toward the front of the bike into the wheel chock?

I use the soft straps to secure around the triple clamp as much as possible and rachet down until "snug and secure". If this is doing damage to my forks how much play is acceptable?

Drewbie

I fit two bikes in an 8ft bed side by side. I only tie down from the rearsets forward to eye bolts in the bed that are 1ft forward and out 6 inches out from each side of the bikes. Bikes never go anywhere. I dont use chocks just put the wheels into the bed wall.

Fastguy

Drewbie;53173 wrote: I fit two bikes in an 8ft bed side by side. I only tie down from the rearsets forward to eye bolts in the bed that are 1ft forward and out 6 inches out from each side of the bikes. Bikes never go anywhere. I dont use chocks just put the wheels into the bed wall.
Are your eyebolts secured to a wooden floor? If so, you don't worry that they will pull through?
Without the chock your bikes straps don't loosen?

Drewbie

Eyebolts are just through the metal floor and the bedliner. I have deacreasing size washers on each side of the bed floor (largest near metal to smallest near eye) to distribute the force. Straps never loosen. The straps are pulling the bike forward into the front wall of the bed.

Katie and I drove all over the east coast with this setup last year with absolutely no problems.

That being said.. I really really want some pitbull restraints.. they are so nice.