Bike towing + wheel choke question

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Drewbie;53173 wrote: I fit two bikes in an 8ft bed side by side. I only tie down from the rearsets forward to eye bolts in the bed that are 1ft forward and out 6 inches out from each side of the bikes. Bikes never go anywhere. I dont use chocks just put the wheels into the bed wall.
If I have a bike with appropriate attachment points, that's about what I've done in the past, too. Just two straps. On my 929, they were on the subframe, pulled forward about 45 degrees. I had a wheel chock, but the wheels into a wall works, too. I liked that method, as it compressed the suspension evenly, not putting excessive stress on the forks. Great way to tie down, IMHO.

I upgraded to the PitBull restraint system last year, however! :D

Fastguy

HondaGalToo;53200 wrote: If I have a bike with appropriate attachment points, that's about what I've done in the past, too. Just two straps. On my 929, they were on the subframe, pulled forward about 45 degrees. I had a wheel chock, but the wheels into a wall works, too. I liked that method, as it compressed the suspension evenly, not putting excessive stress on the forks. Great way to tie down, IMHO.

So if I understand you all correctly, 2 straps at the rear of the bike on each side pulling the bike towards the front of the trailer?

Correct?

My reason for asking is that I've had my suspension done and it a concern when driving long distances.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Fastguy;53203 wrote: So if I understand you all correctly, 2 straps at the rear of the bike on each side pulling the bike towards the front of the trailer?

Correct?

My reason for asking is that I've had my suspension done and it a concern when driving long distances.
Not exactly at the rear. More along the lines of somewhere fairly close to the rearset area, sort of more the center of the bike. Drew said he used the rearsets. I haven't tried that personally, but he knows what he's doing! On my 929, the front most part of the subframe worked. On every other bike I've owned, however, that area wasn't accessible. This method uses only 2 straps, one on each side.

If you can't do that, the "traditional" 4 strap method is fine; wrapping two soft ties around the triples and tying from there (pulling forward), and a couple around perhaps the passenger pegs, one on each side (again pulling forward if possible) works fine. Use a wheel chock. Compress the suspension enough to make it sturdy, but don't have to fully compress. I've towed bikes with that method for years and never had a problem.

Drewbie

HondaGalToo;53200 wrote: If I have a bike with appropriate attachment points, that's about what I've done in the past, too. Just two straps. On my 929, they were on the subframe, pulled forward about 45 degrees. I had a wheel chock, but the wheels into a wall works, too. I liked that method, as it compressed the suspension evenly, not putting excessive stress on the forks. Great way to tie down, IMHO.

Thats the idea. An even force over the suspension so it can still soak up the bumps along with the truck suspension. I use the rearsets because it does not take up as much room in the truck and the straps are lower.