body position - ass TOO far off the seat?

RyanITV

Admin
Todd Stinson;205468 wrote: Bottom line is you need to be comfortable though.
I'm sure hookers and blow would make me feel "comfortable", but it doesn't mean it's a good idea. :saythat:

clandestiny

Not to hijack the thread, but this brings up something I havent noticed this year.

What happened to the body position training they used to do over lunch hours?
I remember them doing them several times at BHF during the lunch break.

Very helpful.

Gorecki

clandestiny;205527 wrote: Not to hijack the thread, but this brings up something I havent noticed this year.

Dave did it at a Summit event this year.

Macon663

I agree with the advice stated above. That being said, keep in mind that the most important thing is that you're comfortable and that everyone does things a little differently (or a lot in some cases). Troy Corser, Larry Pegram, etc are the definition of crossed up. They still go like stink. You just need to make it work for you.

fitz

What is this thing you guys call "comfortable" and has anyone experienced this on an R6?

fitz

RyanITV

Admin
fitz;205537 wrote: What is this thing you guys call "comfortable" and has anyone experienced this on an R6?

fitz
Sure have - I rode back to back A-I-B sessions on my R6 till the brakes went. If you want to try "uncomfortable", try my S1000RR - I only lasted 4 laps. Shit sits like a 60s muscle car, need to raise the front and lower the rear... it's the only bike I've ever ridden that actually hurts to ride.

Ryan

fitz

RyanITV;205539 wrote: try my S1000RR -Ryan
Why Thank you! Ryan you're the greatest!

Is that all day or just one session? :D

I want to see what it feels like to go a bizillion miles an hour down the straight! :D

fitz

rk97

clandestiny;205527 wrote:
I remember them doing them several times at BHF during the lunch break.
Not sure every region did this. I know I watched Blume do an informal "classroom" session on BP at lunch at Putnam one day, but that's the only "formal" body position clinic I've ever attended at a NESBA event.

That said, if I walk over and tell one of the directors I've got some body position questions, they'll hop up on their bike and give me a 10 minute one-on-one lesson right there. Generally speaking, I get the impression that the directors are itching for an excuse to go out and ride.

General body position info is good, but (as has been demonstrated here, I believe) specific feedback about what YOU'RE doing wrong is better.

92illpony

i use to ride crossed up and kept doing the military artd courses and the code guys kept pushing me back further on the seat and once i finally got use to it i was way more comfortable and a lot more stable. I think thats the biggest thing to me being crossed up was that i was entirely to close to the tank. Am i doing it right now? Who knows but its working for me.
1312415669446.jpg

stow

92illpony;205552 wrote: i use to ride crossed up and kept doing the military artd courses and the code guys kept pushing me back further on the seat and once i finally got use to it i was way more comfortable and a lot more stable. I think thats the biggest thing to me being crossed up was that i was entirely to close to the tank. Am i doing it right now? Who knows but its working for me.
1312415669446.jpg
Do you remember why the Code School wanted you to be further back in the seat? I tend to crowd the tank and always thought that was the right place to be, but maybe I have it backwards. I will try it out at VIR and see how it feels.

YamaR6

They want you back off the tank because if you are right against it you tend to rotate around the tank causing you to get crossed up. It's easier to move your ass off if you're a couple of inches back

92illpony

this was the military little parking lot track day. They place you your bike and have you lean off like you would and let go of the bars and if you have correct body position you will not fall off. I let go of the bars and fell off the side. Your too dependent on your arms when your up on the tank and end up putting weight on the bars. Move back and your using your legs in the tank and can hang off with no arms.

stow

I use my legs to lock into the tank, but I also ride all the way up against the tank as well. I will give it a try. There is still so much to learn and so much that I have forgotten. :doh:

noobinacan

when you don't crowd the tank and sit back...feels great. don't know why, it just does.
but by not being all up in the tank, I do find it easier to transition from left to right...quickly (using knee to knee) etc.
I think that's the biggest thing you will notice.
10a/b at RA for example.

Gorecki

stow;205569 wrote: I use my legs to lock into the tank, but I also ride all the way up against the tank as well. I will give it a try. There is still so much to learn and so much that I have forgotten. :doh:
Shane how tall are you? Seems to me (as I'm only 5' 9") I tend to be a little closer to the tank then some just because getting my outside leg seated against the tank puts me a bit closer to the tank because my legs just aren't long enough to have half an ass off one side and a supporting leg on the other. I've even noticed the difference between my '99 and my '09 is huge because the tank profile on the '99 is huge and it takes more to get it leaned over. While my '09 is very slim cut and I can flick it around like a little girl.

Just some thoughts from a novices POV. :dunno:

Gorecki

I can't explain for the life of my why Stoner is this far off at Laguna Seca. But like him or not, the dude can ride!

stow

Gorecki;205590 wrote: Shane how tall are you? Seems to me (as I'm only 5' 9") I tend to be a little closer to the tank then some just because getting my outside leg seated against the tank puts me a bit closer to the tank because my legs just aren't long enough to have half an ass off one side and a supporting leg on the other. I've even noticed the difference between my '99 and my '09 is huge because the tank profile on the '99 is huge and it takes more to get it leaned over. While my '09 is very slim cut and I can flick it around like a little girl.

Just some thoughts from a novices POV. :dunno:
I am 5'10" and shrinking every day. That is a good observation.

Macon663

Gorecki;205618 wrote: I can't explain for the life of my why Stoner is this far off at Laguna Seca. But like him or not, the dude can ride!
My canned, I can't be sure, but this is my best guess answer is that hes leaned over like that to pick the bike up onto the fat part of the tire. Just like Danni does. Must be corner exit.