Bump to A group!

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
akosi;290575 wrote: Thanks! I haven't been keeping track of times but now that I'm in A group I'll start doing it. I had the Q3s on the bike which worked well but I didn't even get 2 track days out of them. Just bought the 211 GPA tires for saturday so I'm hoping they impress me.
It's time to take another look at your suspension set-up, as your pace continues to pick it's going to help with tire wear.

motorkas;290580 wrote: Kevin, I'll jump in on this one:)

Ran Q2's at the beginning of the season, slicks for the whole season, switched to the 211's for Thunderbolt (Collin didn't have slicks).

Q2's v Slicks - you'll notice. . . and the more you push, the more you'll notice. . .:D, you notice how they grip while leaned over and you'll definitely notice how much better they are while braking hard and trail braking. . .not saying the Q2/3 are bad (they're actually an incredible tire) - just saying the slicks and 211's are that much better. . .

Slicks v 211's - I couldn't tell tell a difference (same compound - basically same tire but with tread to make them DOT). . .

The 211 fronts are AWESOME (so are the slicks:). . .do it - don't look back. . .just be careful with them if you use them on the street - (get heat into them)

Use warmers if you have them - if not - definitely try to get some (takes the guessing game out of "have they heated up yet")

Also, Dunlop recommends 32/32 with Q2/3's - it's 33/23 hot (front/rear) for the slicks and 211's (if it's cooler, drop 1 PSI - at least that's what my brother and I did this weekend. . .)

Oh yeah - easily getting 6+ days from a rear. . .

Hope that helps!!!!!

PS - Anthony - prepare yourself - you're going to SHRED the right rear side of your tire at lightning - not the tires fault - it's the big bowl on that track. . .:D
TopNotch run down! Thanks! Took care of the warmers today :D

akosi

motorkas;290580 wrote: Kevin, I'll jump in on this one:)

Ran Q2's at the beginning of the season, slicks for the whole season, switched to the 211's for Thunderbolt (Collin didn't have slicks).

Q2's v Slicks - you'll notice. . . and the more you push, the more you'll notice. . .:D, you notice how they grip while leaned over and you'll definitely notice how much better they are while braking hard and trail braking. . .not saying the Q2/3 are bad (they're actually an incredible tire) - just saying the slicks and 211's are that much better. . .

Slicks v 211's - I couldn't tell tell a difference (same compound - basically same tire but with tread to make them DOT). . .

The 211 fronts are AWESOME (so are the slicks:). . .do it - don't look back. . .just be careful with them if you use them on the street - (get heat into them)

Use warmers if you have them - if not - definitely try to get some (takes the guessing game out of "have they heated up yet")

Also, Dunlop recommends 32/32 with Q2/3's - it's 33/23 hot (front/rear) for the slicks and 211's (if it's cooler, drop 1 PSI - at least that's what my brother and I did this weekend. . .)

Oh yeah - easily getting 6+ days from a rear. . .

Hope that helps!!!!!

PS - Anthony - prepare yourself - you're going to SHRED the right rear side of your tire at lightning - not the tires fault - it's the big bowl on that track. . .:D
Thanks for the info I'm excited to try them out!

akosi

vinny337;290591 wrote: It's time to take another look at your suspension set-up, as your pace continues to pick it's going to help with tire wear.
Thats a good idea! Should I just watch my tire for abnormal wear or should I have it worked on anyways? The first track day I did I had someone tune it but he didn't do the sag. I told him my weight and he just made a couple of adjustments.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
akosi;290611 wrote: Thats a good idea! Should I just watch my tire for abnormal wear or should I have it worked on anyways? The first track day I did I had someone tune it but he didn't do the sag. I told him my weight and he just made a couple of adjustments.
Yes if you see abnormal tire wear definitely have it checked out. The most important thing is to have your geometry set first, then your sag - for some reason the 06 to present GSXRs ride better when they are raised.

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
akosi;290553 wrote: Haha I'm ready for the stuffing this Saturday you going to be there? Yah I really hadn't put any thought into getting bumped but throughout the day I started getting the idea. Looking forward to what A group will be like.
Yeah, thats often when the bump happens. You just do your thing and follow the rules and you WILL stand out (especially at NJMP)

Getting a lap timer is a good idea but spend money where it counts first. Tires, warmers, etc. A lap timer can be used to benchmark progress but it can be a distraction and you end up chasing lap times rather than working on smooth.

Congratulations again on a well desereved bump!

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
akosi;290611 wrote: Thats a good idea! Should I just watch my tire for abnormal wear or should I have it worked on anyways? The first track day I did I had someone tune it but he didn't do the sag. I told him my weight and he just made a couple of adjustments.
Lightning justveats tires. Jour tire looked great last weekend so your set up is most likely good. the couple of times you had me look at your tire everything looked normal and good. going to a 211 should not change anything for you in setup.

akosi

Thanks for all the help guys! So I'm getting my bike ready for Saturday and I just wanted to run by what I have done and see if there is anything I'm missing. Oil drain and fill bolts have holes in them with a 1/16 drill bit and I am going to attempt the safety wire process but Collin offered to help me with that Saturday as a worst case scenario. K&N oil filter already has a hole so it just needs safety wired. Coolant is water only now. Also bought the 211 GPA tires that will be installed Saturday morning so that covers that. Anything I'm missing?

Myers

Control Rider
Anthony,

Congrats on the A bump! Sounds like you have drilled a lot of stuff... I just ran down stairs and threw my drill and some bits in the truck.. I have all the stuff to safety wire your bike and will be arriving tomorrow night. I can help you safety wire Friday night if you would like. Metallic Grey Tundra ...

Will see ya out on the track if not ;) lets have some fun!

Len

Hey Anthony,

Congrats on the bump !!:cool: I kind of figured that the fellas would get to it cuz you were honkin big time and definatley belong in A. I noticed that you come to the track by yourself so if you wanna pit with us your more then welcome. Congrats again.

Oh by the way I'm the great big fat guy on the other 2011 Gixxer told you go around me on the second to last session cuz I did not wanna hold you up.

white f-250 crew cab with a 16ft black trailer

if you don't wanna pit with us atleast come say hi or my feelings will be hurt

Jimmy

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
akosi;290761 wrote: Thanks for all the help guys! So I'm getting my bike ready for Saturday and I just wanted to run by what I have done and see if there is anything I'm missing. Oil drain and fill bolts have holes in them with a 1/16 drill bit and I am going to attempt the safety wire process but Collin offered to help me with that Saturday as a worst case scenario. K&N oil filter already has a hole so it just needs safety wired. Coolant is water only now. Also bought the 211 GPA tires that will be installed Saturday morning so that covers that. Anything I'm missing?
Sounds like you're ready to rock!!

akosi

JimmyW;290768 wrote: Hey Anthony,

Congrats on the bump !!:cool: I kind of figured that the fellas would get to it cuz you were honkin big time and definatley belong in A. I noticed that you come to the track by yourself so if you wanna pit with us your more then welcome. Congrats again.

Oh by the way I'm the great big fat guy on the other 2011 Gixxer told you go around me on the second to last session cuz I did not wanna hold you up.

white f-250 crew cab with a 16ft black trailer

if you don't wanna pit with us atleast come say hi or my feelings will be hurt

Jimmy
Thanks! Yah I usually come by myself most of my friends don't ride so I'll gladly join you guys! Are you going Saturday?

Slitherin

Control Rider
Director
akosi;290829 wrote: Thanks! Yah I usually come by myself most of my friends don't ride so I'll gladly join you guys! Are you going Saturday?
Keep doing track days and this statement will soon be invalid.

akosi

Slitherin;291234 wrote: Keep doing track days and this statement will soon be invalid.
Agreed! Seems like everytime I go I meet more and more people. Always a great group out at the track!