CBR600RR Front Master Cylinder Swap

MBH328

Can I can use a front master cylinder from an '07/'08 CBR 600RR on my '03 600RR? My reservoir, which is integrated with the master cylinder was damaged in a crash. I would like to replace it with a separate reservoir/cylinder assembly like the '07/'08 bikes in case I go down again. It looks much simpler and cheaper to swap out just a damaged reservoir, as opposed to an integrated assembly.

I have considered a Brembo package, but the '07/'08 Honda pieces are considerably cheaper, and I can't imagine that I would notice the performance difference at my skill level.

On a similar note...can anyone recommend a good set of SS brake lines? I'm running the stock lines, and would like to change them out at the same time as the master cylinder.

Thanks,

-Mark

JASON748

Yep, no problem. Worst case you may have to fab up a bracket to hold the res. But I'd recommened you get different lines becuase of the change in the output location on the MC. 07/08 600RR lines will work as will 04+ 1000rr lines (I run the 1000RR lines on mine with a Brembo MC),
My recommendation on lines is Galfner Superbike lines.

Drewbie

:agree: With the radial off the 600 or 1000 you get MUCH better feel. My lines fit the new MC with the right routing. Its a great, cheap upgrade.

JASON748

I've ridden 600rr's back to back with the stock, a 1000rr and the Brembo 19 x 18 master - all with SS Lines, but I'm not sure of the pads on the stock master or 1000rr (felt like stock pads) and teh Brembo equiped bike is mine with SBS DC pads. Honeslty the stock master to the 1000rr master wasn't much difference in feel or power, maybe just a little better feel - but no more power (they use almost identical bore and stroke, just a different configeration). The Brembo on the other hand has more feel and more power, but it has a different bore and stroke...

JASON748

Yep, That why I listed that... My Point was that the in terms of feel and power the 04-current 1000rr and 07-current stock MC's don't have all that much of a benifit over the stock 03-06 MC.

I've also ridden other bikes with stock master vs the 19 x 18 Brembo with the same pads, lines, etc... (06 R6 - swapped the master durning lunch break) and the Brembo definately outperforms the stock master with everything else the same, but the big quetion is, is it worth the money for the Brembo? IF you're not racing, or on a tight budget...IMHO no. Pads and lines will make a much BIGGER difference than the master ever will.

Drewbie

JASON748;12009 wrote: I've ridden 600rr's back to back with the stock, a 1000rr and the Brembo 19 x 18 master - all with SS Lines, but I'm not sure of the pads on the stock master or 1000rr (felt like stock pads) and teh Brembo equiped bike is mine with SBS DC pads. Honeslty the stock master to the 1000rr master wasn't much difference in feel or power, maybe just a little better feel - but no more power (they use almost identical bore and stroke, just a different configeration). The Brembo on the other hand has more feel and more power, but it has a different bore and stroke...
Yeah, same bore and stroke as the stock master. Does provide better feel though. Also getting rid of the 1970's Honda MC they still used on those bikes. The plastic resorvoir is a plus (clearence and mantianence).

And yes, it is not SS legal for WERA.

MBH328

Thanks, guys. I don't race, and don't plan to soon, so class legality is not an issue. Cost definitely is, so I've ordered an '07 600RR front master cylinder. $140 brand new for the whole assembly isn't bad, in my opinion.

I also ordered the '07 Galfer superbike front lines. I'm wondering: will I have fitment issues trying to put '07 lines on '03 calipers? The '07 calipers are radial mount, correct? I suppose I should only be worried if the lines are too short, or the fittings won't work with my calipers. However, I doubt either will be the case.

Drewbie

You wont have a problem. Im still using the Goodridge lines off my 03 F4i on my 05 600RR (radial MC and calipers).