CR Body Positioning

barry38

noobinacan;276193 wrote:
Maybe I'm struggling to explain feeling via words...
but
bottom line is, you must weight outside peg on exit....there's no two ways around it.
This has been argued to death. You do not have to weight the outside peg on exit. Steering input though the bars is what will take away lean angle. Now there are those who do feel pressing on the outside peg is beneficial to helping take away lean angle and do teach that. I tried it along the way and found no benefit one way or the other. If it makes you happy to do it, so be it.

As to the argument of adding gas to take away lean angle...... it won't. It WILL change (widen) the arc you are on as gas is added. Nick Ienatch's definition of corner apex is "where you begin taking away lean angle, and adding gas". This requires two inputs from the rider. Pressing on the outside bar and rolling on the throttle.

z064life

noobinacan;276193 wrote: uhh...yeah it does. are you only using upper body to transition the bike from left to right ?
peg's have as much to do with riding as bar input.

there's more to weighing the peg, its not just to stand the bike up...its so you're putting pressure on the outside of the tire as you're giving gas.

Maybe I'm struggling to explain feeling via words...
but
bottom line is, you must weight outside peg on exit....there's no two ways around it.
barry38;276247 wrote:
This has been argued to death. You do not have to weight the outside peg on exit. Steering input though the bars is what will take away lean angle. Now there are those who do feel pressing on the outside peg is beneficial to helping take away lean angle and do teach that. I tried it along the way and found no benefit one way or the other. If it makes you happy to do it, so be it.

As to the argument of adding gas to take away lean angle...... it won't. It WILL change (widen) the arc you are on as gas is added. Nick Ienatch's definition of corner apex is "where you begin taking away lean angle, and adding gas". This requires two inputs from the rider. Pressing on the outside bar and rolling on the throttle.
Barry has me covered here...I'm not even sure why one would ever "weight" the outside peg. Unless you are talking about putting pressure on the ball of your foot to firmly push your thigh into the tank for stability...But that has nothing to do with standing the bike up.

And Barry is correct on the lean angle...10% throttle to WOT will widen the arc but will not change the lean angle AT ALL. A steering input is required to do that.

JRA

It's called throttle steering. Adding throttle widens your line, and decreasing throttle narrows your line

bboynicku

JRA;276403 wrote: It's called throttle steering. Adding throttle widens your line, and decreasing throttle narrows your line
yup! thanks to CR Dion for talking about this couple weeks back at summit main, i drastically improved my line through the carousel (T6-T7) ...just rolled off a bit maintaining lean angle and hit the apex of T7 perfectly...it was definitely one of those holy s*#@ moments haha Learn so much at every trackday :D

JVance

Weighting the outside peg is something they teach in motocross. I personally don't think it applies to road racing. In motocross you are staying center of the bike (if not a bit on top of it), inside foot is off the peg entirely and you are typically pushing the bike into a berm. Pick one or two things to concentrate on at a time. There is enough in this tread to keep a person seriously confused for a long time.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
About all I've found weighting the outside peg does is take some pressure off my right knee..since most tracks we ride have more right turns than lefts, my right knee starts to hurt after about 6 laps. Pushing on the left peg a little gives my right knee a little "rest".

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
Dave561;276155 wrote: That sounds right to me. Im confused where the bamboozled part comes into play :notsure:
Some say he is easily confused by steps.:D I keep digging.

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
Steve, Bubba Thanks for the props for "The Dance":D

All the advice that is on this thread is great!

When I get out to the track (which will be pretty soon) I like to have a "body position" class at lunch time.
I'm always available during the day(as well as the other CR's) to help with that!
I could give the whole speech about it, but its better to do it in person and on the bikes!

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.
Emerson;276608 wrote: Summit on monday?
I hope to make it to SP on Monday as well. I'm working on a rental to transport my bike. I have a short-bed pickup truck and don't care for how the rear wheel sits on the (folded-down) tail gate.

virtualsolitude

Musician, physician but mostly fond of fishin'.
I'm out for Monday. Work beckons. :(

Utilizing "The Pace" on my 2-hour street ride today, I tried weighting my outside peg and also my inside peg in the turns. (I never utilize public roads as my personal race track, btw, but that's another topic).

I found weighting my outside peg did nohing for me personally nor did I find that weighting my inside peg alone did anything either (for turning into or coming out of a corner). But I'm a beginner again (10 yrs ago I was an "I" with, likely bad habits or lots to learn still).

What I did find to be huge (for turning in) was something I should be doing anyway: shifting the ball of my inside foot up on to the peg as well as pressing my outside knee into the tank which, btw, requires weighting my outisde peg. )

Basic stuff, I think.

Regarding the use of the knees at my last track day, a track mate instructed me to use my knee in the tank to get back back across the seat (e.g., in turns 4-5 and 7-8 at summit pt) instead of wrestling the handlebars. Also, dropping my head significantly and looking through the turn helped me corner like the beast I felt I was. Until a CR passed me with a hand on his hip...

Little stuff that kept my bike stable and reduced fatigue.

Lenny ZX9R;276587 wrote: Steve, Bubba Thanks for the props for "The Dance":D

All the advice that is on this thread is great!

When I get out to the track (which will be pretty soon) I like to have a "body position" class at lunch time.
I'm always available during the day(as well as the other CR's) to help with that!
I could give the whole speech about it, but its better to do it in person and on the bikes!
I'll donate my bike and stands for that. And videotape it to share later on.

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
LOL! Mike, Steve: I'll do it in my blue spandex base-layer too!:wow: This way the folks will really remember what I say! LOL!:eek:uttahere:

Ruhe52

Oh shit man really I have to try to go a sleep with that image in my head. For F%$# sake stop it or the next photo on this site is Cal. You know the picture. You remember that night.:eek::wow::puke:

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
LOL! I just spit some of my coffee on the PC! Yes, I remember quite well!:doh:! I'll stop now, I don't think the folks could take anymore of what the voices in my head are telling me to type!:eek: