Do you think race tires mask problems?

gsxrida1980

Chris - this a great post.

As an inside joke me and my riding buds call you Mr. Personality. LOL! How come you always seem so indifferent? Is it because we're all slower than you?

undrlord

when i am out i don't even look at my timer. i do a pace that i think i am comfortable with and then i check it when i get back.

i have been thinking about just getting warmers for now and get race tires for when i actually get better. i still have a lot to learn.

Motomoon

I agree its a good post and I believe its looking for opinions which we all have. I think its good that someone analyzes why they crash and wants to see what others think. I feel that we can over-analyze. I also believe that most the time we crash it is the fault of the rider not the equipment. We need to learn to listen to the machine and sometimes that means taking a few steps back. Hard to do when we are always trying to go faster.

The post asked a question and in my time with NESBA I can shed light on many mistake made by riders including myself...very much so myself. I've done the crashing thing;)

It has nothing to do with speed. Many are faster then me..Some are faster then me on DC3 then I am on slicks. Derek will ride on bare rims and crush me! and prob most of us here....Most of you ride more then I do anyway. Maybe I am just jealous.

If I was indifferent then I wouldn't care either way what he did. That is the definition of indifferent. I will however call it like I see it if I have the ground to stand on. My experience is that yes, race tires are often a bandaid for riding ability up to a certain level. No one wants to hear that and there's always exceptions. Crashing suck and there is really no exception to that.

I hate to see I rider struggle after crashing so I gave my advice, which isn't really my advice, rather the advice of those much wiser/faster then i will ever be. Its what they told me!

gsxrida1980

Motomoon;1711 wrote: I agree its a good post and I believe its looking for opinions which we all have. I think its good that someone analyzes why they crash and wants to see what others think. I feel that we can over-analyze. I also believe that most the time we crash it is the fault of the rider not the equipment. We need to learn to listen to the machine and sometimes that means taking a few steps back. Hard to do when we are always trying to go faster.

The post asked a question and in my time with NESBA I can shed light on many mistake made by riders including myself...very much so myself. I've done the crashing thing;)

It has nothing to do with speed. Many are faster then me..Some are faster then me on DC3 then I am on slicks. Derek will ride on bare rims and crush me! and prob most of us here....Most of you ride more then I do anyway. Maybe I am just jealous.

If I was indifferent then I wouldn't care either way what he did. That is the definition of indifferent. I will however call it like I see it if I have the ground to stand on. My experience is that yes, race tires are often a bandaid for riding ability up to a certain level. No one wants to hear that and there's always exceptions. Crashing suck and there is really no exception to that.

I hate to see I rider struggle after crashing so I gave my advice, which isn't really my advice, rather the advice of those much wiser/faster then i will ever be. Its what they told me!
Hey Chris, I think you misinterpreted both my statement and my question. I said that your post was great and very insightful. My comment to indifferent was in general - every time we come by the trailer for a part or mounting, you just seem really bored by us. LOL!

Coyote22

I had the exact same type of lowside in turn 1 at vir with Michelin Power race tires and warmers. Nothing felt wrong or felt like it was sliding. One second I was cruising along and a split second later I was on my ass. The most frustrating thing is that you don’t know what caused the crash, and in an attempt to fix the problem you begin to question everything.
I must say it was the 2 track day with a lap timer, and that defiantly changed my riding. Even though I didn’t feel like I was pushing it any harder when I crashed, I was not letting off of the gas in places where I would have without the lap timer.

Bseville

Motomoon is hard core. You never have to worry about him not telling you what he thinks. This is what I like about this guy, straight to the point. Chris, hope I was not one of those guys at Beaver you were afraid to be around.:D

undrlord

I would like to thank everyone for their input. I know ultimatly my riding is my responsibility. While some choose to go with race tires to give them that little bit more confidence that is great. I just want to try to get better with what I have now.

I love riding w/ NESBA because I think most of ya'll are awesome riders and willing to teach/give advice to new comers like me who have questions and just trying to understand. Thanks to everyone here.

Rick Johnson

Lance, Last year when I was at barber there was a wet spot in the area you crashed where water was coming up thru the sealer.Was it there the day you wrecked?Kinda sounds like your tires were worn out though.:banghead:

JRA

Rick Johnson;1867 wrote: Lance, Last year when I was at barber there was a wet spot in the area you crashed where water was coming up thru the sealer.Was it there the day you wrecked?Kinda sounds like your tires were worn out though.:banghead:

This is true. Right at the bottom of the hill directly in the race line. In fact I've always used that sealer patch as a reference point. It was seeping water at one of our events last year and it almost put me down when I got a little too close to it. One moment I was clicking right along, and the next I was looking at my rear wheel over the handle bars. :eek:

I haven't noticed any water there this year in two visits and it has rained both times. Maybe they fixed it.

Motomoon

gsxrida1980;1713 wrote: Hey Chris, I think you misinterpreted both my statement and my question. I said that your post was great and very insightful. My comment to indifferent was in general - every time we come by the trailer for a part or mounting, you just seem really bored by us. LOL!
Bored no, tired yes...I don't get much sleep LOL. And yeah, I mis-interpreted that you felt the topics post was great and I was ripping on the poster or the topic and that wasn't my intent at all....again sleep isn't my friend...

Crashing suck because you can hit the same turn a 100 times and that 1 time something doesnt align and EARTH, SKY, EARTH, SKY, AMBULANCE. Its crazy but it could be something as simple as being off throttle a split second longer or maybe not picking up the gas as soon as you should. Bikes hate you and want nothing more then to have you off them. The straightest a bike will ever go is without a rider on top of it.

Have fun at VIR this weekend guys!

undrlord

Rick Johnson;1867 wrote: Lance, Last year when I was at barber there was a wet spot in the area you crashed where water was coming up thru the sealer.Was it there the day you wrecked?Kinda sounds like your tires were worn out though.:banghead:
Rick....I know exactly where you are talking about and my wreck happended before that wet spot.