Does this prove Shoei is inferior to Arai?

sobottka

pefrey;75818 wrote: You probably did not have it locked down like lemondrop said.
or maybe he smashed his face on the pavement and it popped off :dunno:
I'm pretty sure all visors can pop off when they hit the pavement

Matt H

Yep - my minor getoff at NJMP this past weekend had the shield pop off too (Scorpion EXO-700). Helmet did it's job - who cares if the plastic shield pops off....

Big_J_29

I work in a Parts Department at a Yamaha Dealership, I own 6 Helmets and I can tell you that with helmet companies trying to make shield replacement easier and easier for the consumer the mechanisms themselves get alot more simple and shall we say less secure if that makes any sense. When it comes down to it if the visor stays in place then that is great but if it does not then as long as the helmet does its job then money well spent. Me myself I prefer my Arai and I have had 3 Shoei's that just never felt as good to me as the Arai does. It all comes down to comfort and protection.

ajohn505

I had an HJC shield pop off last year during a get-off at Blackhawk, but the helmet protected my noggin perfectly. Several hits and no more than some slight tenderness. Helmets are designed to disintegrate on impact to absorb energy, so I'm not too worried if the shield stays in place.

I'm running with an Arai now, and while I don't care much for the shield mounting system it does the job fine and if it comes off in a crash I'm not going to worry much. Incidentally, I have an oblong head and Arai was the first manufacturer I stumbled across that has so many variations in shell shapes.

ceptorman

I've been a Shoei guy my whole life. Recently bought an Arai Corsair. The shield took about an hr to replace, but my buddy says it will loosen a little and get easier. The Shoei shield replaces in seconds. I will admit the Arai is more comfy. After wearing it a few times, and 4 races in it, the quality just seems better. The newer Arais fit my round head better than the older Arais did, which was why I went to Shoei originally. They both are great helmets, I was reluctant to try an Arai but am glad I did?

PS.....Competition Accessories had both helmets at 60% off!!!

finny47

Thanks for the replies. I ended up getting another x-11. I went to the motorcycle show in February and couldn't find an Arai model that felt as good as Shoei. Now that I know how to lock it :doh:, I should have better luck in my next crash.

Matt - I've got three clear visors now. If you want one of the clear ones, PM me.

RandyO

I think if you try that lever on the Shoei, it has 3 positions.. anti fog/neutral/lock... do not have mine with me at the moment but I do know that the shields on the 1000 locks down (now it did take some 19 year old to show me how the strap locks into the D rings to keep it from flapping in the breeze.....)

I think i would be more apt to condemn a lid that let me head get hurt than pop a face shield off.. READ: your head in one piece? I think the lid did its job just fine...

ceptorman

RandyO;77022 wrote: I think if you try that lever on the Shoei, it has 3 positions.. anti fog/neutral/lock... do not have mine with me at the moment but I do know that the shields on the 1000 locks down (now it did take some 19 year old to show me how the strap locks into the D rings to keep it from flapping in the breeze.....)

I think i would be more apt to condemn a lid that let me head get hurt than pop a face shield off.. READ: your head in one piece? I think the lid did its job just fine...
You are right, 3 positions on the Shoeis. But even in the lock position, you can pull on the visor lip and override the lock. The Arais have a recesssed groove on the helmet that accepts an adjustable post on the shield that will lock the visor closed.