Earplugs

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
After this past weekend at Beaver, I realized I wanted to find a better fitting pair of earplugs. I have been using basic ones I found at Walmart, but they seem to be a little large for my ear canal and are hard to get in. So I figured I'd see what everyone else was using...

Please also list where I could purchase them from and how much they cost if possible...

TwoTyres

Nate, last year at karns open house there was a vendor selling custom plugs. They pour a liquid into your ears and they become your plugs. Give Karns a call and see if they will be there at the May 16 open house.

JeremyGSU

I buy mine at Home Depot. They come in large box of 80 or 100 in orange and purple colors. You just roll them between your fingers until they are slim and then put them in. I find them real comfortable and wear them everytime I ride.

Pavrock

Also, if you pull your ear up and back (using your right hand for your left ear, and vice versa) you can open your canal up more allowing the plug to slip right in and then expand.

I use the Max brand ear plugs, the orange ones. Pretty standard stuff, but I have been using them basically my whole life. I prefer the orange ones as they are a bit softer and dont hurt my ears as much as other brands. That being said, after an hour or two they do get a bit uncomfortable. But for track days they work great for me.

Billsv/R6

local hunting stores or shooting ranges are a good place to look some even offer the ones Two Tyres is talking about were they pour something in your ear to make a mold. had a set years ago for shooting they worked really good and are very comfortible. dumb ? do people put ear plugs in because the noise is loud to them or is it because the noise of other bikes is distracting? nethier ever bothers me unless i hear tires behind me lock up then i pucker alittle bit.

Meat

Pavrock;52596 wrote: Also, if you pull your ear up and back (using your right hand for your left ear, and vice versa) you can open your canal up more allowing the plug to slip right in and then expand.

I use the Max brand ear plugs, the orange ones. Pretty standard stuff, but I have been using them basically my whole life. I prefer the orange ones as they are a bit softer and dont hurt my ears as much as other brands. That being said, after an hour or two they do get a bit uncomfortable. But for track days they work great for me.
I use the Max brand as well. They also make a bigger and quieter version (not sure which one Pavrock is using) than their standard which is perfect for me because I have pretty big ear canals....even though my hearing isn't so great.

I want to get a custom set made.

1literduceater

Billsv/R6;52620 wrote: ? do people put ear plugs in because the noise is loud to them or is it because the noise of other bikes is distracting? nethier ever bothers me unless i hear tires behind me lock up then i pucker alittle bit.
I started wearing plugs because I use to ride an RC-51 with high mount Sato's. I mainly wear these days because of the wind noise....its distracting to me. I did one session Sunday morning without my plugs in. I did about 6 laps and came in early.

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
You can also check out www.envirosafetyproducts.com/. Check the Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) of the ear plugs because all ear plugs are not made the same. The higher the number, the more it filters out. Some are not very effective at filtering out sounds that could be damaging. I use the Howard Leight Max because they had the highest number at the time.

At one point they had a sample pack with 8-10 different plugs so you could try them out to see what fits best. May be worth calling them to see if they still offer it.

Joe Vital

big ears made my custom ones. they are great for keeping me from going deaf. they cost about $60 to get them done and are guaranteed to fit.

i sport tour and have worn them for hours on end with the helmet on and no discomfort.

otherwise the ear plug store as already mentioned has a sample pack of just about every type of plug made. if you can't find ones to fit from them, they aren't any that will fit you...

kubricky

Control Rider
Director
I went to the ear plug store (online) as mentioned and bought a sample pack of throw-aways (16.00 -- 40 different pairs) and a sample pack of reusable plugs (12.00 -- 16 pairs). I found a few that fit nicely, but reuseable earplugs are just that, reusable. They don't clean well and ultimately you will have to replace them. This past winter, I bought a pair of molded plugs at the IMS (bigearinc.com) and am very happy with them. They are guranteed to fit and also retain your mold so that you can have them made in case they are lost. The plugs clean well and feel very good in your ear. They are a firmer feel than the foam disposables and many of the resuable plugs, and may take some getting used to, but stick with it. They are comfortable to wear for a full session (or a solo race) and I do not even know they are there. They do a better job of noise cancelling than the disposables as well.

If you haven't used plugs before, experiment and find what works best for you and is comfortable. For me the molded plugs have made things easier.

fizzer

JeremyGSU;52583 wrote: I buy mine at Home Depot. They come in large box of 80 or 100 in orange and purple colors. You just roll them between your fingers until they are slim and then put them in. I find them real comfortable and wear them everytime I ride.
I use these also. Made by Bell, I think. They reduce the wind noise a lot and you can still hear your bike and other bikes just fine. Pull your ear up and back and roll them up tight and they'll fit in any ear. They can be used 4 or 5 times and then won't roll up tight anymore. Perfect for track days. They're cheap, like $8 for the box. Very comfortable.

Jim McDowell

This is a good thread. All of us should be wearing earplugs, especially at the track.

You can find plugs with a NRR of 32 or even 33 if you look hard enough. I use the EARSoft FX plugs because they are big enough for my ear canal and they have the flanged end which makes them easier to remove.