FAQ: Q2s

BigBird

Since these are a very popular tire in the paddock and everyone has been asking the same questions in a variety of threads, probably good to keep a dedicated thread on this tire...

what are the recommended cold/hot pressures?

Any suspension changes needed?

avizpls

#11-A
What is the tread depth of a new tire? I am curious as to how much rubber I left behind at BeaveRun this weekend. Riding in the wet produced a clean tire (no balls o rubber) but it still looks like it wore down.

just curious!

Southerly

Is that 32/32 hot? When I got the Q2s installed last year at the track I was told that the recommended pressure was 29r/32f hot which is what I have been running. Does it depend on the bike as well?

G2G

There is no hot pressure from Dunlop on the Q2's. Pressures I got from RTS are 32-34 Front and 30-32 rear.

G2G

It does not state the 32 32 is a hot pressure. If you don't know call. Steve B will tell you himself.

Mikey75702

G2G;187137 wrote: It does not state the 32 32 is a hot pressure. If you don't know call. Steve B will tell you himself.
You're right... I thought i read something i didn't. A friend used q2's last year and I believe that's where I got those pressures from. I think he found the best pressures to be in the mid 20's cold... but I am going to ask to make sure.

borislav

Control Rider
Southerly;187087 wrote: Is that 32/32 hot? When I got the Q2s installed last year at the track I was told that the recommended pressure was 29r/32f hot which is what I have been running. Does it depend on the bike as well?
Your hot pressures are the same what I ran when I used Q2's!Bike handled nice,just be carefull when summer heat comes (95 deg. and up)

kawaholic

Mikey75702;187166 wrote: You're right... I thought i read something i didn't. A friend used q2's last year and I believe that's where I got those pressures from. I think he found the best pressures to be in the mid 20's cold... but I am going to ask to make sure.
mikey or anyone else who's interested, this is directly from steve's post on the css forum.

For Track Day use. 32 front, 32 rear cold. +/- 3 psi would be the workable window. That is a good baseline to go with. If you are trying to get better performance, consider going to the next step up in tires (D211GPA). There is only about 5% to be gained with pressure on the Q2 within that window (nothing to be gained outside that window). You will get much more than a 5% gain if you go to the next higher performance tire in the lineup.

http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showtopic=2536&st=40

with that info, it seems pointless to go any lower than 29 cold on the rear tire.

hth

BigBird

Lonewrench;186549 wrote: 32/32
interesting...when i used those types of air pressure, it felt like i was riding on an ice skating rink. it was so bad, i was ready to switch from the Q2s to any other brand of tire over lunch.

Someone told me to aim for 31F/29R HOT pressures and that made the tires felt 1000% better. Since I've been using that pressure, i recommended these tires to everyone. They felt better than the 209s I was using.

I start cold pressures with about 23-25 pounds in the rear (depending on the weather) and about 28-29 in the front and the tires feel awesome when they warm up.

But I'm a lowly :b: rider, so take it for what its worth. :eek:

Wouldn't the combined weight (bike plus pilot) have something to do with target pressures? I'm on a liter bike, most everyone else is running supersport. :confused:

Fastguy

Well I have a question that Ive posted and asked a couple of times before but have not gotten a reasonable explaination.

The Q2 rear seems to "separate" (for a lack of a better term) in the tread area. One explaination that Ive heard was that it was from flipping the rear.

I currently have a rear that I have not flipped thats beginning to "separate".

Other riders have indicated that they too have had this issue happen. I dont think that I can run over something with different sets of rears.

avizpls

#11-A
Fastguy;187286 wrote:

The Q2 rear seems to "separate" (for a lack of a better term) in the tread area. One explaination that Ive heard was that it was from flipping the rear.
:eek: I just made the switch to Q2's and I sure hope I dont see this myself!

What is tread depth on a new Q2?

Landshark

Control Rider
Fastguy;187286 wrote: Well I have a question that Ive posted and asked a couple of times before but have not gotten a reasonable explaination.

I currently have a rear that I have not flipped thats beginning to "separate".

Other riders have indicated that they too have had this issue happen. I dont think that I can run over something with different sets of rears.
Rob, it is my understanding that the separation you see if from the angular joining of the surface rubber. I first learned of this when reading about Dunlops made in Europe VS US made rubber. The angle which they are joined was the given reason that you should not flip a US tire.

That said, I have seen this exact type of groove on Bridgestone tires as well. I have never seen a front tire show that separation. I suspect the rear tire gets stretched, pulled and twisted more than a front does for longer more sustained intervals. So while the front may have similar construction it just isn't as abused as the rear. I also have paid strict attention to the pressure and tire temperature. I only experienced the symptom when the ambient was 60-70 and the tires were pushed hard. Pressure was consistent tire temp was 175-180 using a IR temp gauge.

I don't have any formal info supporting my theory nor do I have formal information that the tires are safe. What I do have is many many many on track hours logged supporting that theory on why or how.
My main concern is safety for you, me and anyone else. If I see a tire showing those signs of wear I will not flip it. If it is already flipped I change it ASAP. If the tire isn't flipped and the line continues to grow across the tire, which it normally does I change it. On the rare occasion a new tire shows these signs I'll remove it and see the tire rep. seeking a replacement. I have returned two Bridgestone tires that did this with minimal use and have only had it happen about 5 times. The date codes had nothing to do with the issue. I have only had this issue once on 211 GPAs at barber and have seen it only a handful of times on Dunlops. Everytime the tire REPs have been easy to work with. I have never seen a tire fail from this issue. I have never seen the tire pressure drop either from the issue.

That's my experience with the split. If you came to me at TECH I would most likely tell you to change the tire. I don't think any other CR would argue otherwise. I just can't take a risk with another individuals safety even though that risk may be less than 1/10th of one million.

Q2 pressure I use is 30 rear 32/33 Front.

Terminex

BigBird;187259 wrote: interesting...when i used those types of air pressure, it felt like i was riding on an ice skating rink. it was so bad, i was ready to switch from the Q2s to any other brand of tire over lunch.

Someone told me to aim for 31F/29R HOT pressures and that made the tires felt 1000% better. Since I've been using that pressure, i recommended these tires to everyone. They felt better than the 209s I was using.

I start cold pressures with about 23-25 pounds in the rear (depending on the weather) and about 28-29 in the front and the tires feel awesome when they warm up.

But I'm a lowly :b: rider, so take it for what its worth. :eek:
+1
I ride at fairly fast "A" pace and found anything over 29 in the rear to be WAAAAAAAAY to high for me. MY rear would slide easily when I ran the higher pressures.

I usually run 32 Front & 29 Rear - HOT

(Suspension is Ohlins 30MM Nix up front & TTX in back - both dialed in for my weight / riding style)

FYI - this is my first set of Q2's on the track, ran Bridgestones all last year. Both the BT003 Pro & the Slicks. Pressure that seems to work for me on the Q2's is almost identical to what worked best with the BT003 Pro's.