FAQ: Q2s

Terminex

Cliff#11;200715 wrote: Anyone have any experience with these on a liter bike ? Specifically should they be ran at an "A" pace on a liter bike in the middle of summer on let's say.. VIR Full?
I have been running them at an "A" pace all year on a 2008 CBR1000RR. the only issue I have run into is that when it was REALLY hot (100 & higher) after about 5 laps I noticed more spin / slip at full lean when I was getting on the gas coming out of slower turns.

For the pace I was running I should have been on DOT Race tire, or slicks, but for what they are the Q2's have been great. For me it was a money issue - i.e the cost & longevity of the Q2 vs the higher cost & lower life of DOT Race tire or slicks.

My suggestion is if the value proposition is not an issue run the DOT Race / Slicks. If money is a consideration, run the Q2's just be aware that in the higher temps, after multiple laps you will need to be aware and control any sliding that may occur.

FYI - I always run warmers, and as such I have been averaging 6 or 8 days on a front & 3 or 4 on a rear. (standard liter bike 2:1 ratio)

DUNLOP-RTS

madriders86;202854 wrote: So I'm wondered if I've gathered this correctly...

It IS safe to flip a Q2 rear?
Not a problem. But remember, if you have worn out a Q2, its really time for a new tire. You are simply dancing with the devil by trying to milk it that far. better to error on the side of safety.

beac83

DUNLOP-RTS;190322 wrote: What you are seeing is the TREAD SPLICE becoming exposed. This is not the construction of the tire at all. It only the tread rubber that is placed over the carcass when they build the tires. There was an occasional issue with this becoming visible. It was amplified by riders that flipped the tire and ran it in reverse rotation.

The integrity of the carcass is still in place.

If you took a tire groover and added a deep tread cut, that would be the same effect on the tire and its performance.

Its not a safety or performance issue. But it does look like crap, I will give you that.

This issue has been address in the manufacturing process and we have not seen this issue since the 2011 season began.

The reason you do not see this in the UK made tires is because they use a slightly different process in manufacturing (more costly). But the US factory has solved this without costing more (go USA engineers!).
Hmm. Last weekend at Beaver Run I was running a flipped 180/55 Q2 rear, and it started to separate at the splice. I heard of two others that experienced similar separations Saturday, all while running the tire flipped. I'm not sure of the others were running Q2's, 209's or 211's. While I did take a pic, I do not have the used tire. I had it replaced and the vendor disposed of the old tire.

I noticed this just before the last session of the day, after sitting out the 3 O'clock session due to heat and being worn out. I was on the 7th track day with the tire. I was not experiencing any slip or slide, even with the hot temps we had last Saturday at Beaver Run.

I started at 31 front/29 rear COLD in the morning (ambient was near 80 degrees F), and adjusted down a pound and a half in the afternoon before going out after lunch. At that time the tires were still warm to the touch, and were reading 34 front / 32 rear prior to adjusting the pressures (ambient was mid-90's F). My pace Saturday was 1:17's- 1:14's depending on traffic through T 1-7. Perhaps I should have only gone down a pound to lower the heat buildup in the tire, or maybe just left them alone? :notsure:

I'm not complaining. 7 Track days out of a tire is good service, IMO. I just wanted to note that this is still happening in 2011.

The tire was purchased new at the end of May from TDS.

dbarufaldi

beac83;204460 wrote: Hmm. Last weekend at Beaver Run I was running a flipped 180/55 Q2 rear, and it started to separate at the splice. I heard of two others that experienced similar separations Saturday, all while running the tire flipped. I'm not sure of the others were running Q2's, 209's or 211's. While I did take a pic, I do not have the used tire. I had it replaced and the vendor disposed of the old tire.

I noticed this just before the last session of the day, after sitting out the 3 O'clock session due to heat and being worn out. I was on the 7th track day with the tire. I was not experiencing any slip or slide, even with the hot temps we had last Saturday at Beaver Run.

I started at 31 front/29 rear COLD in the morning (ambient was near 80 degrees F), and adjusted down a pound and a half in the afternoon before going out after lunch. At that time the tires were still warm to the touch, and were reading 34 front / 32 rear prior to adjusting the pressures (ambient was mid-90's F). My pace Saturday was 1:17's- 1:14's depending on traffic through T 1-7. Perhaps I should have only gone down a pound to lower the heat buildup in the tire, or maybe just left them alone? :notsure:

I'm not complaining. 7 Track days out of a tire is good service, IMO. I just wanted to note that this is still happening in 2011.

The tire was purchased new at the end of May from TDS.
My experience was similar - was at Beaverun all weekend. Flipped the rear for Sunday - didn't slip a tire until last session, when I did twice - thought it was time to come in. Was running 30/30 cold and adjusted at lunch back to 30/30, as it had crept up. End of Sunday had a seam tear on the rear. But get this - the set had 9days on them ....NINE. That's just silly - track tires shouldn't last that long. Pace was 1:09-1:08 Sat and 1:08-1:07 Sunday. If it's not really cold or raining, the Q2's are the best track tire I've used. In the rain, they Suck, with a capital "S".

Dan B

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
beac83;204460 wrote: Hmm. Last weekend at Beaver Run I was running a flipped 180/55 Q2 rear, and it started to separate at the splice. I heard of two others that experienced similar separations Saturday, all while running the tire flipped.
This has happened to me on the 209's and the Q2's while flipped and I know of others who had the same. It was never an issue. Looks bad, but not an issue to ride on. Still have the Q2 rear.

beac83;204460 wrote: I started at 31 front/29 rear COLD in the morning (ambient was near 80 degrees F), and adjusted down a pound and a half in the afternoon before going out after lunch. At that time the tires were still warm to the touch, and were reading 34 front / 32 rear prior to adjusting the pressures (ambient was mid-90's F).
If you tires were sitting around for a while and those were the temps, it sounds like they were too high. You can check with others, but I run mine at 32F, 30R hot off the track.

dbarufaldi;204462 wrote:
Was running 30/30 cold and adjusted at lunch back to 30/30, as it had crept up... If it's not really cold or raining, the Q2's are the best track tire I've used. In the rain, they Suck, with a capital "S".

Dan B
Sounds like you pressures may have been a tad too high as well. On hot days the pressures will increase significantly, especially the rear. Next time out, check the pressures before, and immediately after you get off the track. You may be surprised.

I have a set of Q2's that I reserve for damp and/or cold conditions. No issues with them at all and they perform well. I usually drop the pressures slightly when it is cold/wet.

dbarufaldi

jcurtis;204492 wrote: This has happened to me on the 209's and the Q2's while flipped and I know of others who had the same. It was never an issue. Looks bad, but not an issue to ride on. Still have the Q2 rear.

If you tires were sitting around for a while and those were the temps, it sounds like they were too high. You can check with others, but I run mine at 32F, 30R hot off the track.

Sounds like you pressures may have been a tad too high as well. On hot days the pressures will increase significantly, especially the rear. Next time out, check the pressures before, and immediately after you get off the track. You may be surprised.

I have a set of Q2's that I reserve for damp and/or cold conditions. No issues with them at all and they perform well. I usually drop the pressures slightly when it is cold/wet.
Done and done. I saw around 10% increase in pressures "cold" to hot, and find that to be about right. Tried lower pressures in the rain and saw no improvement. The Dunlop guy (Steve?) has indicated that the pressure-related performance increases/decreases with the Q2 are nominal, and I've found that to be true, so far. Played around a little bit with pressures on normal days, and saw very little difference. The Q2 appears to be very pressure-forgiving, and the pressures I run come right from the Dunlop guys.

As I said earlier, the Q2s are amazing in the dry - gripping better than I remember the DCIIIs, the Pilot Powers and the Power Pures. I found the DCIIIs about on par in the rain, and the Michelins far superior. Have a set of Power Pures left over, so those will get used next, but interested to see how the grip compares with my memory and with the Q2.

Dan B