First track bike - 600 or 1000?

Corsair

My newbie two cents comes from this:

Last Wednesday Zippy was kind enough to split a full track day at BHF with me on his '02 GSXR 750. I'd NEVER ridden an I4 in any situation and started straight away on a bike pretty much set to go (both our weights were nearly identical for his suspension setup, slicks, slipper clutch, front Brembo radial master, etc.) I started out the day ~2:00 minutes a lap and by the last four sessions I was in around the 1:35's.

Long story short, I'm hoping to get my whole setup for next year and after riding his 750 that thing felt great and had plenty of power. I'd sure not get a 1k bike for starters, and I could probably swing a 750 but I wouldn't hesitate against any 600 either.

OP is a good rider, has put a few dimes toward super-schooling himself. He's not a petite individual either (over 6 feet tall). I would recommend he does a test ride with several bikes before committing. If you think the problem with a liter bike is throttle control, you are wrong: throttle control is in your head, not your machine. I'm managing just fine on mine.

Mikey75702

daddyfriedrich;200850 wrote: OP is a good rider, has put a few dimes toward super-schooling himself. He's not a petite individual either (over 6 feet tall). I would recommend he does a test ride with several bikes before committing. If you think the problem with a liter bike is throttle control, you are wrong: throttle control is in your head, not your machine. I'm managing just fine on mine.
But you will probably learn exponentially faster on a more forgiving bike. EVERY cr saying a smaller bike is better normally means something.

j_fuggin_t

daddyfriedrich;200850 wrote: If you think the problem with a liter bike is throttle control, you are wrong: throttle control is in your head, not your machine. I'm managing just fine on mine.
take no offense to this but your a b-group rider, once you start upping your pace and pushing it more, throttle control will be MUCH MUCH further than in your head, 1k's are fun bikes, but once you lug one of them things around all day your going to be tired, the lap record at blackhawk is held by a 09 zx6r, you can do alot on a 600 and being a "bigger guy" doesn't mean you need a 1k.

noobinacan

It doesn't matter what your weight is.
Its sprung weight.
Get it setup for your weight (correct weight springs) and that's all you need.
I've not done a single power mod to my 600. It doesn't need any...cause its not really going to help you in improving:
- corner speed
- braking later
- early on the gas

j_fuggin_t

daddyfriedrich;200866 wrote: So is a test ride of various types the wrong answer?
No answer is right or wrong, everything in here is a matter of opinion if he can find a place to let him test ride a bike then good, but because you like the bike down main street, it doesn't mean you'll like it down a front straight. To each their own really.

Mikey75702

j_fuggin_t;200879 wrote: No answer is right or wrong, everything in here is a matter of opinion if he can find a place to let him test ride a bike then good, but because you like the bike down main street, it doesn't mean you'll like it down a front straight. To each their own really.
My suggestion would be a yamaha demo day at a nesba event. That way you can try the r1, r6, etc.

Gorecki

daddyfriedrich;200866 wrote: So is a test ride of various types the wrong answer?
Here ya go D. ;)
ferrari_bike.jpg

Kegger

daddyfriedrich;200850 wrote: If you think the problem with a liter bike is throttle control, you are wrong: throttle control is in your head, not your machine.
Errors with the throttle on a liter bike will bite you harder and faster than on a 600, and some things you do with the throttle and get away with it on a 600 will put you in the weeds on a 1000. I guarantee it. Yeah its in your head, but the machine will make a difference regarding if stays in your head or you end up on your head.

BrianR6

i started doing trackdays on a 1000... made it to the advanced group on it... switched to a 600 years ago.. recently tried to ride a 1000 again, no thanks, 600 for me!

warregl

Many thanks to everyone for their input. I am definitely seeing a pattern in the advice! I believe the smart decision is to check the ego :p and go with the 600. Considering what you all have said, I think the only way I would consider a 1000 was if I could justify one with T/C. As DaddyFriedrich mentioned (thanks for the kind words sir) I have done the 4 levels of CSS (and thanks to that I know just how little I know how to do well :D) and the S1000RR is a well mannered literbike but would be overkill for my skill level (Gorecki where can I find that beast you posted - that looks just my speed!).

Thanks again all and ride safe!

Carey

Gorecki

Hey man, throw a 50cc or 70cc two stroke kit on that thing and a person could be podium bound for sure! :D

Daddyjama

I always thought it's much more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.. Think of riding go carts! At bhf 600's can run 11's so if ur nit there ur prob ok with a 600

j_fuggin_t

Daddyjama;201211 wrote: I always thought it's much more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow.. Think of riding go carts! At bhf 600's can run 11's so if ur nit there ur prob ok with a 600
may wanna drop that time about 2 seconds, there are 3 guys that can easily put it in the :09's :wow:

Mikey75702;200856 wrote: But you will probably learn exponentially faster on a more forgiving bike. EVERY cr saying a smaller bike is better normally means something.
AND a rider who's been stuck in B group who's found a smaller bike forces one to focus on proper technique to go faster rather than rely on HP which masks bad habits.

BZ

clandestiny

Something to think about also:

From the BHF site.

Robert Jensen 1:08.51 1000cc 7/26/2009
Dan Ortega 1:08.83 600cc 7/26/2009

Not much difference.

Plus, Ive noticed the bike dont try to play "Spit the Dummy" on the R6 near as much as it tried on the R1.

warregl

Bubba Zanetti;201239 wrote: AND a rider who's been stuck in B group who's found a smaller bike forces one to focus on proper technique to go faster rather than rely on HP which masks bad habits.

BZ
clandestiny;201483 wrote:

Plus, Ive noticed the bike dont try to play "Spit the Dummy" on the R6 near as much as it tried on the R1.
This is what I love about this site, it's educational and entertaining!. Great advice guys and I really appreciate all of the input.

Now the search for the right 600 begins. :D

When I made the decision to buy a "track" bike, I searched (probably all the wrong places) for a 600, but it seemed everything I found was overpriced. I spotted a great deal on a 2006 GSXR 1000 and ended up buying it. I had ridden a number of 1000s on the street before and thought it would all be fine on the track. My first trip to the track with that bike resulted in a concussion, cervical disk damage, and a totalled bike. One visual mistake and too much throttle bit me faster than I could blink. Now I have a 2007 R6 and I'm very pleased with the choice.