Frame slider/Chassis protector useful mod?

Worthwhile for occassional track days? Good idea at all? Or something best left for advanced riding. I'd say best left for racing but we're all doing that.

Point

Donnyballgame

They saved my bike from some serious scars when I dropped it in Lowe's parking lot. I had a pant leg get hooked on a heal plate and was unable to get a leg down. :banghead: Have not tested them on the track yet.

jay956

the way i see it is that less experienced guys are more likely to crash so if anything the beginners need it more than the advance guys. thats why frame sliders are the first thing i put on my bikes. i think they are essential street or track, if $50 can help protect your frame (and maybe some fairings) then why not use them.

Seems from my VFR site the only one that will fit mine is by R&G at about $150.

Jay, I believe you about the less experienced riders but it seem it's not the beginners. At Summit Point this June 11th the red flags were exclusively owned by the Intermediates.

Point

afinepoint;133642 wrote: Seems from my VFR site the only one that will fit mine is by R&G at about $150.

Jay, I believe you about the less experienced riders but it seem it's not the beginners. At Summit Point this June 11th the red flags were exclusively owned by the Intermediates.

Point
The R&G's are what I installed on the 97 VFR I ride Point.

Installation was pretty easy and they seem like good quality. Also, they arrived in 3 days from the UK.

BZ

JGardy_781

afinepoint;133642 wrote: Jay, I believe you about the less experienced riders but it seem it's not the beginners. At Summit Point this June 11th the red flags were exclusively owned by the Intermediates.
For what it's worth, I wouldn't base your decision upon a single point of data. If you went to the 12th at JC, you'd observe the same pattern you saw; if you went to JC on the 13th, you'd think it was only the beginners that crash. Knock on wood, crashes in A are pretty rare; when they do happen, they tend to be pretty catastrophic due to pace and proximity maintained with other riders. Spread it out over time, I'd bet you'd likely find similar crash rates/registered rider in B and I, and lower rates in A.

Don't know if figures are available, but numbers detailing the issuance of crash credits by NESBA for each class vs. total registered rider counts in each class at events might be a reasonable place to start to actually obtain some hard data on the matter, but that said, crashing happens to everyone, eventually - best to be prepared.

Whether or not you want put frame sliders on your bike's a different question, where some people think the bike is less likely to flip when it leaves the track surface without frame sliders; others think the protection afforded the plastics and hard parts is worth such risk. I personally use them, because there are a shitload of other reasons why a bike might flip. Example here:

http://tracktalk.nesba.com/showthread.php?t=14164

/j

JGardy_781;133678 wrote:
Whether or not you want put frame sliders on your bike's a different question, where some people think the bike is less likely to flip when it leaves the track surface without frame sliders . . .
Hadn't thought of that. Seems if you are going to go down it is probably more likely to be in curve and thus grass is just a foot or two away.

Also no disrespect to the Intermediate group. I was eager to hear the riders were OK.

Point

Landshark

Control Rider
jay956;133636 wrote: the way i see it is that less experienced guys are more likely to crash so if anything the beginners need it more than the advance guys. thats why frame sliders are the first thing i put on my bikes. i think they are essential street or track, if $50 can help protect your frame (and maybe some fairings) then why not use them.
LOL I must have missed that in the fine print. I didn't bin a bike until I hit "A".

I would say use the lowest profile slider you can like the Woodcraft. That way the bike is less likely to flip or rip the slider bolt out.

BigBird

Landshark;134390 wrote: I would say use the lowest profile slider you can like the Woodcraft. That way the bike is less likely to flip or rip the slider bolt out.
:agree:

used the T-Rex long ones 2x and once it flipped the bike, and thought it might just be because of the crash and bought a replacement and the second time it bent the bolt and was a pain to get the slider out.

went to the woodcrafts and when i went down 2x the bike stayed on that side with minimal damage and the sliders are still good. And they are much easier to replace if I needed to.

Woodcraft FTW!

"where some people think the bike is less likely to flip when it leaves the track surface without frame sliders"

I think a lot of the flips are due to the tires catching (particularly if catching the curbing), compressing the suspension and then launching the bike. I feel better with the sliders there and it does save some damage. But don't get sliders that are too long as they will catch, not to mention the additional leverage on longer sliders will bend the bolts easier and you will have a tough time getting those out.

Bluenvy

i actually dont have frame sliders on my bike and in my 3 crashes frame sliders wouldnt have done anything ( 2 high sides and 1 ass packing). i have a set in my room though, just to lazy to put them on. maybe after i lowside once ill stick them on

beac83

Frame sliders have helped minimize damage when I've had on-track get-offs. They don't do much to help in the grass, though. They are most effective in lowside offs, not so much in highsides. However, mine did protect the frame (not the fairings) in my one highside. It was a lot easier to replace the slider and mount, than go looking for a legal replacement frame for my street bike (first TD).

Mine is a street bike that I track. I am weighing the real need of the sliders against the costs and impact on the bike's looks. I think sliders - especially the longer ones like most safety equipment detract from the motorcycle's (or car's) appearance. In this case boring holes in the faring is irreversible.

Reg

Rydell

I wouldn't ride without them, on or off the track. They have already saved me thousands from a couple low sides. Saved my tank from any scratches, and my fairings from being completely useless. Can't do too much about a slick spot in an intersection, that's when the frame sliders come in.