GoPro YouTube video question

bmart

Control Rider
Hey guys.

My videos look spectacular in the GoPro tool and in Windows Media, but look like crap in YouTube, despite showing 1080. Any thoughts as to why?

Thanks!

b

Rich

What software is used to add the data overlay? I notice on the second one you don't have it and it's much clearer. Not sure what model camera but in the first video it seems to have a hard time going from dark to light and back. Couple places along that ride you see it's clear and then pass under some trees and it's all grainy, then back to full sun and it's good again. That speaks to compression too of the export, but you said all the settings were the same, just something I would look at. I've exported many video in a rush and left if on some default that was like 480p or low quality (high compression).

The mount makes a difference too. the KLX likely vibrates a lot more than your R6, so that video is going to be less smooth and if the camera has stabilization, it's working really hard to keep it straight. Just couple things I can think of off top of mind.

bmart

Control Rider
Everything I own is old. My 2009 carbureted KLX is the newest thing I own...but a long shot. lol

The camera is a Hero7 Black (in white...really). I use their softwared to add the overlays and load to YouTube because I'm illiterate in this space.

You're spot on with the under trees grainy bit. There's something about changing conditions that seems to make it much worse (street ride). The track is relatively consistent and seems to look the same whether there are overlays or not. Maybe a setting that I can make?

The laptop I'm using is also ancient. The GoPro sofrtware won't load on my NEW tablet/Chromebook.

My GoPro settings appear to be the following:
20210714_153217.jpg20210714_153225.jpg20210714_153233.jpg

Rich

I know you said it looks good on laptop, but one thing that sticks out is the protune setting. From what I recall that records at a higher bitrate (good for quality, less compressed) but be sure you have a fast enough memory card to support that. Protune opens up advanced options, so you may want that?

This is just a general observation with GoPro and not directly related to your question, but I find that the images are better when the camera has something to focus on. Take track video for example, I have GoPro 7 silver with same settings, all I did was turn it around on the bike. The first video below is less clear, has some grainy spots especially in the sky. The second is same camera, same settings, same day actually and just turned it around to see myself and learn better BP or see where I'm being lazy... everywhere :)

Rear facing view from tail (more grain and more shake even thought it has stability setting on)

rider facing from tail (clearer, less shake, colors are even better.)

-Rich

bmart

Control Rider
Here are two screen shots, one from YouTube and another directly from the file on my laptop courtesy of Windows Media Player. Wildly different. I've love to know why they're so different and how to get better quality on YouTube.

1628032034803.png

1628032109595.png

I couldn't find any customization in the GoPro Quick software.

bmart

Control Rider
Still at this...

Changed some settings after VIR South. Wide to Linear. Turned off Protune. Tested locally with the KLX today. I love that bike! Loading 1 video after adding the GoPro farkles (speedometer, elevation, G-dot, etc.) and going to load another without, just in case GoPro is doing something to the file, which I doubt. Just troubleshooting. I suspect that YouTube is going it. It'll take them a while to get the full quality versions up there. I'll post links when they do.

Thanks all.

bmart

Control Rider
From what I can gather, the who problem is YouTube reducing the quality. Anyone who is able to post good looking vids, please let me know your secret! Thanks all.

Rich

From what I can gather, the who problem is YouTube reducing the quality. Anyone who is able to post good looking vids, please let me know your secret! Thanks all.

I think this one you posted recently looks good.
Aside from being dark in spots, it's not grainy like some of the road versions. What software are you testing?

bmart

Control Rider
Thanks, Rich. I know nothing about any of this, so I'm learning a bit.

The software is free and is called OpenShot Video Editor. Intuitive, it isn't, despite the marketing. lol

There are a lot of options when saving, and some may trick YouTube into producing better quality.

I also posted three, loaded fromGoPro software to YouTube (2.7k 30 FPS, 2,7k 60 FPS and 4k 30 FPS). Even a day or more later, they're still loading the HQ versions. So far...they look terrible to me. I'm pretty sure that 1080/60 will be the way to go oncve I figure out how to save the files in OpenShot properly before upload.

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
Pretty sure it's YouTube and or your editing software. I just simply splice mine together using movie maker and I think the highest that comes out of that is "HD" (def not 4k but I didnt pay for the software either). Not sure if you have to pay to upload to youtube in something close to 4k. I don't pay for anything and upload in like 1080p which is good enough for my purpose. (Sharing to people for training purposes.)

bmart

Control Rider
Thanks Tim. Aside where noted, mine were recorded and uploaded in 1080 60, but on my laptop raw they look superb. In YouTube, most of the quality seems gone. That's what I'm trying to fix. I'm attempting 2.7k and 4k as I was told that tricks YouTube into using a different filtering/sourcing/whatever and it will post a higher quality video. I'd rather not have to do that as ti takes a ton of memory! It'll get sorted. I'll also look into MovieMaker.

TimTheAsian

Fresh off the Boat
Staff member
Control Rider
I think that video that Rich posted of yours looks pretty good. At least on par with what I've experienced uploading to YouTube.

bmart

Control Rider
Thanks. That one was through the free software, not from GoPro Quik. But I didn't do anything to the source file other than add music from the best band ever.

Last edited:

bmart

Control Rider
Thanks to all for the help. I'm going to pull down all of the test videos. A friend reloaded one of my videos on his site after working it through a program. The results look the same. It looks like YouTube just does what it does now as a freebie. Hope to "see" you in a future video!

bmart

Control Rider
Still looking for help here. I've been working with GoPro which has been a total waste of time. I have tried 2.7k/60 and 1080/60 files from the camera with no improvement in YouTube quality. Some actually got worse. I've tried multiple softwares to process them with wildly different results (despite the same settings). I've upscaled both resolutions to 2.5k and 4k, using VP9 and H.264. I've tried regular and lossless settings, 60FPS down to under 30FPS on all. (I've been using a matrix to ensure that I don't miss anything!) It seems that YouTube really kills the original file quality...and yet, I watch others' videos that look superb. When I look at the nerd setting on the videos, they're using VP9. Something has to give! Any good ideas?

I'm on my last test, which is using OpenShot to take my 1080/60 and 2.7k videos to upscale to 4k VP9 lossless video, loading to YT, which has been set to AV1, although no one seems to know if that has to do with playback or loading videos...

Any help is appreciated. What I would like...is to take the video on whatever format is needed, then process or directly load to YT and have them not look like a 3rd grader painted them in a Bob Ross class.

Will post some sample images in a while. My computer, like me, is out of memory until this completes.