HOA issues parking trailer in driveway?

ERB68

It's threads like these that make me very thankful I live where I do.

No BS rules and a 100'X20' drive with a 24'x20' side parking slab. I really love being able to just go out to the trailer and prep the bike and trailer at my convenience.

A friend bought a house without reading all the BS from the HOA and almost had to sell his truck. He is not allowed to have ANY vehicles in the drive over night. His truck barely fit.

FUCK HOA's I wouldn't buy in one if at all avoidable.

trekuhl

Control Rider
thanks for the replies all. unfortunately i wasnt even doing track days when i bought the place a couple years ago...so i never thought i would need a trailer :-/

ill fight the good fight. at minimum ill request i need at least 24 hrs to load/unload and if i have to pull the bikes/tools from trailer then park it in street.

or cough up some cash every month and find a storage facility. blech.

this is sort of a starter home so i just need to find a sugar mama and i can move on up to something better :p

-trey

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
My friend just went through the same thing, he now parks his trailer in a public parking lot. On track days he loads his bikes in the morning, before driving to the track….It's an inconvenience but sometimes you have to do, what you have to do…Good Luck, something good will workout for you…:cool:

noobinacan

ERB68;146544 wrote: It's threads like these that make me very thankful I live where I do.

No BS rules and a 100'X20' drive with a 24'x20' side parking slab. I really love being able to just go out to the trailer and prep the bike and trailer at my convenience.

A friend bought a house without reading all the BS from the HOA and almost had to sell his truck. He is not allowed to have ANY vehicles in the drive over night. His truck barely fit.

FUCK HOA's I wouldn't buy in one if at all avoidable.
so a noobie question
when buying a house...how do you find out which HOA by-laws are in effect?
you get a copy from where ?
and can they be changed by someone on the fly ?

thanks

physicistkev

Control Rider
Having been an HOA president I can tell you that they are a necessary evil for this reason...

We actually had someone herding chickens and goats in a townhouse back yard. Yes, you read that correctly. They were also slaughtering the animals for food, in the townhouse back yard...

I was always the normal guy on the board, most people got power trips and wanted to punish the hell out of people. I was always the one saying "it's our job to make sure people follow the rules, not crush people for braking them." To me, the issue with HOA's is usually the people on them, not necessarily the rules.

When you buy a house, you will receive a packet that will include the rules and bylaws of the property. It is your responsibility to read and understand it, since taking ownership of the house means agreement to the rules and regulations within the HOA bylaws.

The other important thing to remember is that the HOA rules can be changed. Just go to a meeting and ask the management person what is necessary for a change. It's usually just a petition with X% of neighborhood signatures.

A lot of the parking rules come from the surrounding municipality (county, city...). Some will differentiate between a motor vehicle and a trailer. Some will also talk about movement every x days or so many hours. So, some of the rules can not be changed, without changing municipality rules. A much tougher thing to accomplish.

Kevin

Kevin is providing some really good advice and insight on this matter.

My in-laws have had to deal with the HOA "power trip" people Kevin refers too, just they are in Maryland so I've received a good glimpse into idotic humanistic thinking.

Approach the matter with some candor and educate yourself a bit before you go before the board.

As a side note, my wife and I both agrreed when we were shopping for a house. We'll NEVER live in a neighborhood governed by a HOA.

BZ

physicistkev

Control Rider
Not living in an HOA in the Northern Va area is pretty damn difficult. Having a nicer and newer, post 1970's, single family home in northern Va is damn near impossible without an HOA.

The real options for a post 1970's single family home in northern Va without an HOA are living in a multi-million dollar new home, buying an old home on a large pre 1970's lot and tearing it down and build a new home (again, probably million dollar start tag) or move way the hell out.

The town house HOA's are much MUCH stricter than most of the single family home neighborhoods.

Kevin

CoolTall1

I kind of like my HOA. I don't have to park my trailer here for any longer than 24 hours which is allowed in the bi-laws. I have a neighbor who parks his big ass boat in his driveway sometimes for days and they have 4 cars that they then park on the street right at the end my driveway. It can make getting in and out of mine a PITA. While I have nicely ( to me anyway) asked him to move the boat out of the driveway so he can move his cars into his driveway but instead he moved the cars to the other side of his lot at the end of the old folks next door. He is of course a total douche bag and told off the old 84 YO guy who is a war veteran who asked him to move them after he backed into one. Sadly we have to go threw this about once a month and we have now turned to our HOA for help getting this guy to comply with the bi-laws. If the world was the way it was 30 years ago I would have handled this differently but things being the way there are its come down to fines and laws.

So my input or advice would be to listen carefully to the complaint and see it from another prospective and not just your own. Once they let you do it so too will all your neighbors and before you know it everyone will have a boat or camper and the streets will be full of cars.

jsin38

Move on out to Falls Church, Trey. I'm a mile from WFC Metro and the Silver Line is well underway so soon we will be bracketed by Metro stations. No HOA here as evidenced by my neighbor's collection of trucks and RVs. I can even do the occasional "functions check" on the track bike if I time it just right on Sunday afternoon.

Kegger

I put the trailer in my Fathers name. When they sent me the warning I told them he parked it there, and they will have to get ahold of him.....he is retired and lives on a boat in Tennesee most of the time - he said they havent contacted him:D