How was NOLA?

matt2212

Only 6 hours of driving left... Well worth it

The ironman award goes to DJ John Bob and Rob for riding double duty all weekend

matt2212

This is a top notch track super fun and fast the owner was committed to making it even better in the future I will be making the 17 hour drive again if that says anything about how fun it was

JRA

steve gould;234987 wrote: Anybody make it back yet??
The track that we rode is like a really big Robeling Road Raceway with a couple of second gear turns. Very fast, very wide, and miles of runoff...it's flat but it's super fun. The similarities to RRR are undeniable. I doubt that was intentional but it's true. Steve, if you go and ride it I'm sure you'll agree.

This place is the new Barber in terms of facility too. When it's completely finished with both tracks complete it might possibly be the best road course facility in the country. If not, then top three with Barber and Miller being the other two in my mind.

steve gould

JRA;234994 wrote: The track that we rode is like a really big Robeling Road Raceway with a couple of second gear turns. Very fast, very wide, and miles of runoff...it's flat but it's super fun. The similarities to RRR are undeniable. I doubt that was intentional but it's true. Steve, if you go and ride it I'm sure you'll agree.

This place is the new Barber in terms of facility too. When it's completely finished with both tracks complete it might possibly be the best road course facility in the country. If not, then top three with Barber and Miller being the other two in my mind.
Wow....Thats high praise!!

steve gould

Matt, You'll have to alter your route through Winston next time and we can share a ride. Maybe we can even pick up a few others on the way.

HKr1

noobinacan;234995 wrote:
how was the surface ? and tire wear ? being the the pavement is new.
Couple seams they could do without, and 1 bump. Next to no wear on the tires, I was running B & C. So you could use a softer tire for sure.

Anyway, awesome track. Love the rippin fast back side the best.

Heres a crappy vid from "I" 2nd session looking backwards. (who's #672/576?) Session was only 5 minutes for some reason, just get going and its over :popcorn:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NbFr56nTo34&context=C4789e70ADvjVQa1PpcFOjPbq6oBh6CeAynbwY4YmBXfyLJjIVG9k

matt2212

steve gould;235000 wrote: Matt, You'll have to alter your route through Winston next time and we can share a ride. Maybe we can even pick up a few others on the way.
Plenty of room in the new trailer i'm thinking the december date is the next tome i'll go this far but I'm sure the all director team of cr's would love to have you

fossilfuel

I rode it on a 1000 the first day until I had a mechanical failure, then rode it the second day on a 600. I have to say that I really enjoyed it more on the 600. Nice to meet you Matt!

fossilfuel

Tire Wear....My CBR1000RR had Dunlop NTEC slicks and had some of the weirdest wear patterns I have ever seen. I put on another NTEC take off but had transmission issues before I could check it out. I heard a few people complaining about this and my friend who has an RSV4 had the same issue but higher up on the tire. I rode consistent 1:56's on the 600 and had no issues with tire wear.

jcrich

JRA;234994 wrote: The track that we rode is like a really big Robeling Road Raceway with a couple of second gear turns. Very fast, very wide, and miles of runoff...it's flat but it's super fun. The similarities to RRR are undeniable.

Minus the tires and sand berms hopefully....:D..

stow

jcrich;235011 wrote: Minus the tires and sand berms hopefully....:D..
How about snakes? :eek:

The paramedic at Roebling wouldn't even come across the tire wall to help me. She said there were way too many snakes living in the tires.

JRA

Attached is a map of the track and a little info about different course configurations and the facility.

I was thinking last night about my initial impression of the place and whether the facility will actually will be as good as, or better than, Barber. If they finish the rest of the place to the same level as what I saw this past weekend I think it will be at least equal, and the ability to run multiple course configurations with huge run-off areas everywhere has to give it an edge. I really think when it's finished you'll see them competing to get a world championship race there.

The paddock is enormous... think bigger than the North Paddock at VIR and completely paved.

We ran the long version of the North Course-2.75 miles. I think the 3,300 foot front straight was plenty long enough. I couldn't imagine any reason to run the mile long version of the front straight, that's just too long and we'd miss a couple of really cool turns by doing that. I'm now very interested in seeing what the South Course will be like when it's finished. The told me they hoped to begin work on it this fall.

Track Specifications
North Track - Long Course

2.75 Miles
16 Turns
3360' Straight
40-50' Width

North Track - Shorter Courses

2.32/1.91 Miles
16/12 Turns
5090' Straight
40-50' Width

South Track Phase 2 Development

2.8 Miles
13 Turns
3150' Straight
40-50' Width

Full Course Phase 2 Development

5.5/4.64 Miles

Track Safety Features

NMSP provides safe, fast, challenging and exciting driving and riding at every level of use and is built to the highest industry standards.
NMSP addresses the unique requirements of both competition and recreational car and motorcycles use.
NMSP provides extremely large safety zones including up-to-date safety elements such as electronic signaling systems, asphalt runoff areas and gravel traps.
NMSP features the 'NOLAFast' tire barrier system, designed by NMSP's owner Dr. Laney Chouest. The system significantly increases the retardation quotient and is many times stronger than standard barrier systems.
NMSP employs highly trained Response Teams with fully equipped Emergency Response Vehicles.

bidwell

No question it will be a world class facility when complete, the only thing bothered me was the dirt, it was EVERYWHERE! But of course that's a temporary inconvenience.

The pavement is incredibly smooth, it felt like glass under my knee slider. The only bump was in T1, it was very annoying and could tuck the front if you're sloppy. I had the same weird tire wear patterns, nothing seemed to help, I remember seeing the same thing at Autobahn when it first opened in 05. Grip was excellent but reduced off line due to blowing dirt from earth movers. Exiting the track is a little dangerous as it's right on the racing line, I heard they are planning on moving it in the near future.

After a few sessions to learn the track, Ron (green ZX6R) and I did some 53's, I was on a red CBR1000RR. My lap timer never turned on but he had a gps. My personal favorites were turns 2, 3, and the esses before I got too tired and sore to flip the bike back and forth. First track weekend of the year always leaves me really sore. It's a long drive from Charlotte but was definitely worth it, I'm planning on going back but not until it's completely finished.

JRA

Yes, I was told that they hadn't anticipated the racing line and the pit entrance would intersect and there will be a new pit entrance before Turn 15 in place prior to our next event.

I didn't think tire wear was crazy. It did make my tires look unusual but overall wear was just fine. It's kind of like most tracks seem to be like 100 grit sand paper and this track was like 400 grit sand paper. It still wore the tires but it made them look really smooth on the surface.

My guess is completely finished won't be for quite some time. I don't know how long it will take to build the South Course but they told me that ground stabilization took a whole year for the phase under construction now (built on a swampy area apparently). It didn't look to me like they had cleared very much of the land where the South track will be built so I don't know if they will have to go through that process again prior to actually building the next phase. They said they have 700 acres and it looks like the site work is complete on about 75% of it. So I'd guess a shorter period of time to do the site work for phase 2 and then the actual track construction. It'll probably be 100% complete some time next year if all goes well.

It's an interesting place for sure, and it's really nice to see another track where no expense is being spared.

bidwell

The NOLA rep (he was there during rider meetings) said phase two which includes the south track would be complete in 12-18 months...assuming everything goes according to plan. We met the owner Dr Laney Chouest when we arrived Wednesday afternoon, he was there running his Ferrari, super nice guy and a real motorhead!

I agree tire wear was below normal, wear patterns were unusual though.