lap timer mounts

snikwad

A buddy from my other forum, some of you may know his name, "Mrgrn" does a lot of CF molding.
I asked him about doing a CF version of the mychron lap timer mount, im going to send him my 50mm mount so he can use it as a mold.

He said he'll prolly sell em for about $40

Just a heads up if any of you are interested id update this thread when he gets done.

Here's his site, you guys can see some of his work. I have quite a bit on my bike also.
http://www.carbonpartz.net/

pearsonm

I'm definitely interested. I'd also be interested in anything he might be able to come up with for a receiver mount. I've got a 2nd generation SV650S. I believe the forks are 41mm.

snikwad

Usually once the prototypes are done and are satisfacory, he puts them on his website.

I will update this thread as it goes.

snikwad

got the prototype unit for testing.
will post picks and stuff later. Im dropping my forks later this weekend, but i think im gonna have my boy try it out 1st.

snikwad

lazy right now. mount in car, camera in pocket.
earlier camera was home, mount in car.

ill have pics tonight. we might have pics of it mounted too.

It looks real good, even as a rough prototype. :)

snikwad

aight the prototype, depending on how much fork you have sticking out might have to be flipped so the thin/main part is flush with the triple.

sounds confusing, look at the pics.

Prototype A
DSC04073.jpg

DSC04074.jpg

DSC04075.jpg

DSC04076.jpg

snikwad

The final product would be finished on both sides.
The logo is a decal i placed on it, not printed on the actual CF.

There isnt much flex, so i dont expect the timer to be vibrating to death while mounted.

Track day isnt for a while, i dont know when we'll test it. i might give it a run on the streets to see how it looks at speed.

snikwad

LMsports;36737 wrote: You don't actually run your bike with the forks that high in the triples do you????
thats my boys bike, he bought it like that. We raised it back up last night. :)
Now we're waiting on a kickstand. lol

snikwad

Emerson;36751 wrote: do think he'll be making any for the xt-utra lap timer?
yeah he could, but the original i gave him was for the Mychon timers.
we're gonna try it with velcro initially, then when i get this Mychron timer, if it all works out, ill give it a shot with the screws and see how it holds up.

But what do you guys think tho?

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I think it is fantastic. I made a mount for my XT out of some aluminum and mounted it where the reservior use to mount. I also made a mount out of an office nameplate to attach my receiver to the fairing stay. The carbon fiber of your unit is far superior to my set up, but you can't argue my costs!

hank

It is a great looking item and Mark really does nice work!

On the timer holder though, I intentionally keep my lap timer out of sight and review the results back in the pits after the sesion - the same concept as taping over the speedo....

Hell, more often that not, I am working on a particular set of corners or other aspect of riding and don't even turn my timer on.

pearsonm

Looks really nice! I love the look of carbon fiber. My forks are currently nearly flush with the top of the clamp so I appreciate how thin the carbon version is. I’ll be interested to know how well it holds up to vibrations.

What would be cool is if there were a way to attach the display to the top side of the mount and the receiver on the back.