Lap timers no more???

Meat

I would love to have it. I have done track days that register the AMB transponder and print out your results, this would be even easier.

Lars

The board is going to be flooded with XT Lap Timers for sale

It could actually be used to harmonize lap times with the groups, so that we do not see as big difference in lap times. S…, I am going to be bumped to Into, with the pace I am running right now :doh:

Cu,
Lars

barry38

Since many insurance companies (and no, I don't want to dredge that conversation up again) will cover you if you are participating in a "non-timed - non competative" event, I'm not in favor of this.

Realistically if you really care that much about lap times, then go racing, because that's the only place they really matter. I fully agree that a lap timer is a useful tool in measuring procress, however it really is only a minor part of it. I went from B to A without a lap timer, and probably never would have gotten one had my wife not given me one for my birthday a couple years back.

I've said this many, many times and I'll say it again. Lap times are only a small part of the equation when learning this sport. They are what result from being smooth, in control and consistant.

GoodKnight

barry38;44057 wrote: Since many insurance companies (and no, I don't want to dredge that conversation up again) will cover you if you are participating in a non-timed - non competative" event, I'm not in favor of this.

Realistically if you really care that much about lap times, then go racing, because that's the only place they really matter. I fully agree that a lap timer is a useful tool in measuring procress, however it really is only a minor part of it. I went from B to A without a lap timer, and probably never would have gotten one had my wife not given me one for my birthday a couple years back.

I've said this many, many times and I'll say it again. Lap times are only a small part of the equation when learning this sport. They are what result from being smooth, in control and consistant.
Amen. I got to the point where I hated my laptimer. Just was making the days not fun at all. I would ride my ass off, come back feeling great, and get bummed looking at my times. Then I would go out just to have fun, and end up running my best times.

So now, for track days, I dont even bring my laptimer. Only place I care about times now are when I'm racing.

Dave_636

When I rode with FastTrack riders out in California they used the AMB system exactly as Lars said. They would tie the transponder number to your bike and would move you up or down according to your lap times by midday if necessary. They would print out the laptimes after each session and would post it up near the garages.

Lars

Barry I can see your point about the insurance, but it could be an option.

It is always a funny discussion!
To me you can all think what you want about lap timers, but it works well for me.
I would agree if the lap timer took away your focus from riding.
My lap timer is placed so that I can’t see while riding.
I do not have much talent, but seeing that I improve my technique a little and it leads to faster laps keeps me motivated.

I am looking forward to ride with you all again.

CU,
Lars

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Barry has a good point about the insurance aspect. It's one thing to have a removable lap timer on your bike, but another thing entirely to have the organization officially recording and posting your lap times. I would think that would push it closer to what insurance companies would consider racing.

Aside from that, I personally would have no interest. I've got my own timer and I don't need everyone else seeing my slow times! :eek:

vanelli56

Lap timer....? I dont need a stinking lap timer!:third:

I have a mental lap timer.... if someone is in front of me, it means go faster.
If no one is in front of me, GO REALLY REALLY FAST until there is....and then repeat step #1 :D

Snow

Has anyone ever noticed that lap times are like fishing stories? Fish are always bigger and times are always faster.

ftlbs

barry38;44057 wrote: Since many insurance companies (and no, I don't want to dredge that conversation up again) will cover you if you are participating in a "non-timed - non competative" event, I'm not in favor of this.

Which companies still do this? I thought they were all pretty much wise to the track day thing. If the accident/damage occurs at a racing facility, you are on your own for vehicle and health care benefits that might have been covered on the street.

kaleido

Snow;44176 wrote: Has anyone ever noticed that lap times are like fishing stories? Fish are always bigger and times are always faster.
:agree:
oh yeah all the time. i love when people enter a wera race and have their laptimes posted. the look on their faces when you confront them and point out they didnt come within 10 seconds of their claim. :haha:

stephenjpauls

ftlbs;44177 wrote: Which companies still do this? I thought they were all pretty much wise to the track day thing. If the accident/damage occurs at a racing facility, you are on your own for vehicle and health care benefits that might have been covered on the street.
I'm not sure about motorcycle insurance... I never expected my auto insurance company to cover me if I'm on the track. But I can tell you that my Life insurance policy has this in it :rtfm: and it is critical to me that Track Days continue to conform to this rule. As soon as they do not, my track riding days will be over as there is no way I can do this without the assurance that my family will be taken care of should something unfortunate happen.

tiggen

I think we should get an answer to the insurance question if that is the only argument against. This sounds like a great idea to me.

My first track day was at Fontana with Fasttrack as well, and I loved going to see my lap times. They were awfulyl slow (and even earned some laughs from a couple of guys who thought a little too much of themselves), but I was able to see that over the course of the day I was consistently getting faster.

I think this kind of instanteous feedback will help attract new riders, especially in the Intro category. Imagine being new to track days and having the org hand you an inexpensive laptimer for your very fisrt day!!

BTW, would it be possible/easy to do sector timing with this kind of system? That would be HUGE!

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
ftlbs;44177 wrote: Which companies still do this? I thought they were all pretty much wise to the track day thing. If the accident/damage occurs at a racing facility, you are on your own for vehicle and health care benefits that might have been covered on the street.
When I talked to my State Farm agent recently, they said they will still cover a trackday. As long as it's not a timed, competetive event, I'm covered. It seems to vary by region. Health insurance isn't, and never has been, though my motorcycle policy. That may be a NJ thing....no PIP coverage with mc insurance. Any health related stuff goes through my health insurance through my employer.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
tiggen;44195 wrote: I
I think this kind of instanteous feedback will help attract new riders, especially in the Intro category. Imagine being new to track days and having the org hand you an inexpensive laptimer for your very fisrt day!!

BTW, would it be possible/easy to do sector timing with this kind of system? That would be HUGE!
Actually, I think that would be a huge mistake for a new track rider. The last thing they should be focusing on when learning is laptimes. Just my opinion. There's better things to work on, and the by-product will eventually be lower laptimes.

rk97

I think this is a great piece of technology for those who want it, but I don't like the idea of my times being recorded, held, or posted by anyone else. My lap timer is cleared as quickly as I can remove the battery. I can't speak for everyone, but my family has tolerated a lot of impulse spending on my part to fund trackdays and repairs. I'd prefer they not have to fight to get my life insurance, if the worst happens. I figure after 1 season of trackday riding, I 'owe' my fiance about $4,000 hahaha

now if NESBA wants to rent lap timers, that'd be great. Rent-to-own maybe. The only thing you lose is the compilation and tracking, which I can do in a notebook anyway...