Lean.In - My trackbike thread

Lean.In.

Well in my memeber intro, quite a few folks were talking about wanting someone to start a "winter project" thread. I know one fella already has about a 600RR. This will be mine about my K6 GSXR600...a little variety.

I dont really name my vehicles...I never have. However, I was working the other night on a jet engine in a hangar and I was up on the pylon of the aircraft. One of my coworkers needed to get onto my computer to look in the manual, but my comp was locked, so he asked for the password...at the moment it is "trackbike" so I told him. He looks at me in confusion and says "crackpipe???!!" So my bike is now Crackpipe the Trackbike. And since I continually hear and see references to track days being like crack, I believe its fitting.

I was previously a Honda owner...600RR, 2006 model. One of my favorite looking bikes. But the bike I had was really clean, and I didnt want to start out with that, wreck it, and mess it up so I sold it...that and Honda's seem a bit more expensive to race as parts are a bit more expensive and there arent that many tracking/racing so parts are less readily available in classifieds sections...thus the GSXR.

My old lady:
IMG00063-20100330-1332.jpg

I like black and white on a bike.

Here is the bike I bought from a guy on this board the day I was bringing it home:
IMG00281-20101016-1617.jpg

2006 GSXR600, 1231 miles on the ticker. Bought it less than a week after I sold the CBR.

The night I got it home:
P1000028.jpg

Lean.In.

Now, the pic above shows it on stands...on the ground. = not conducive to serious work in my own opinion and since I knew I would tear her apart, I built this:
IMG00282-20101022-1828.jpg

IMG00285-20101022-2250.jpg

Its a pretty heavy duty stand that raises the bike about 18" of the floor...much better on the lower back and makes oil changes/wheel & tire work/engine work/etc much easier.

I didnt wait on that to be built before I started getting down to business though...
P1000044.jpg

Im a little obsessive when it comes to neatness (not on all things *notice dirty garage in some pics*) and I had to reorganize the harness and brakelines...the above pic kinda shows what it lookED like. No current pic on what it is now...but I will have that soon.

Thats what Ive got so far...picture wise I guess. I have done the following though:

Changed the oil and filter (Mobil 1 syn and a Napa filter)
Changed sparke plugs to a hotter type (wet dark tips on the other ones)
Removed all kinds of useless (to me) stuff for weight and function purposes

Immediate plans:
Change air filter
drain radiator and straighten bent fins
make a mesh radiator guard
remove forks to fix leaking seals

I started an Excel spreadsheet to track all of my maintenance and costs down to a T. From the cost of the bike, down to oil and zip ties and whatever.

More to come soon. Comments, suggestions, criticisms...WELCOME! This is my FIRST trackbike and need all the help I can get.

Oh, and I will be taking my time with this;) (some photos will be cruddy as some are phone pics and others a real camera)

TeamBeer

I have an 08 GSX-R600 that I want to spruce up over the winter, but other than a little body work and some paint I am not sure what to do, so I will be looking for ideas.

ERB68

Lean.In.;159879 wrote:
More to come soon. Comments, suggestions, criticisms...WELCOME! This is my FIRST trackbike and need all the help I can get.
The only thing I see wrong is the kind of beer and the fact it is sitting out getting warm :D

ERB68

madriders86;159900 wrote: You are educated and meticulously organized.

Why can't I be like that. Damn.
You can be too.... all it really takes is a garage beer fridge and a reasonable selection of beer :D

Lean.In.

Haha. The beer box is actually a rag box. That's where I put cleaning rags and stuff. I keep beer in the fridge where it belongs. And that's my choice for cheap beer. Bud light sucks, natty is, well, natty, etc etc. If I could afford it I'd drink newcastle everyday.

Saltman

Subscribed.

I just sold my street bike for a track only bike too. Had the 06 GSXR.
But I went with the R6 myself. The GSXR is easy to wrench on, so it's not too difficult.
I'm digging the self made bike stand. I need to do something like that.
And I've also made an Excel budget spreadsheet for parts and other items. Can't live without it.

Here's another suggestion for your project. If it doesn't have it already, you may want to do an R1 throttle mod. You can get WOT with 1/4 turn. Cheap and easy to do. Install time is about 1 beer

BigBird

Saltman;159974 wrote: I've also made an Excel budget spreadsheet for parts and other items.
Just put the items that you want/need. And what needs to be done. i had listed all the prices for the items and the $$ spent became ridiculous. I just deleted it. It was crazy.

Lesson learned...never add receipts

mattf

BigBird;160001 wrote: Lesson learned...never add receipts
:agree:

Additional lesson learned.....never leave your receipts where you bank manager (wife) can find them when you told her that your crash damage repairs wouldn't be "more than a couple of hundred bucks."

:doh:

sasrocks

dont keep track of costs!
and rad guards can cause overheating in the summer depending on the % of airflow that is blocked. I took mine off the R6.

Lean.In.

im too OCD not to keep track of it!

The rad guard will be made of 1/8 Hardware cloth...Im def going to do this mod, but I will just have to see how it performs in the heat...it will be cheap so if it doesnt work, or causes overheating, I will fix it.

I went to Sears today and got a set of large mm sockets for the front sprocket and rear axle. Im going out now to remove the wheels and forks. Pics to come.

Saltman

mattf;160013 wrote:
Additional lesson learned.....never leave your receipts where you bank manager (wife) can find them when you told her that your crash damage repairs wouldn't be "more than a couple of hundred bucks."
:rtfm: :agree:

Yea the costs add up. I've just put the stuff I NEED as opposed to the things I want. Ballin' on a budget.

Lean.In.

Took off the wheels, sprocket inspections, removed front forks the other day. Removed the radiator last night and started straightening fins.

Rear wheel removed:
P1000083.jpg

Sprocket inspected...Looks good. Believe its a Renthal...has the big R on it. 46 tooth. I was told the bike is 1 down, 3 up. Anyone know the count of stock front and back sprockets?
P1000073.jpg

Front sprocket, vortex 15 tooth.
P1000101.jpg

Front wheel removed
P1000086.jpg

Lean.In.

Removed the front forks. I ziptied the calipers and clip ons to keep everything from hanging everywhere.
P1000097.jpg

Heres the reason for fork removal
P1000100.jpg

Radiator dings
P1000095.jpg

And as she sits now, minus the radiator b/c I took it off last night but didnt get a pic.
P1000104.jpg

Forks are going to Traxxion to get slightly upgraded and resealed.

Until next time......

mike27

Saltman;159974 wrote:

Here's another suggestion for your project. If it doesn't have it already, you may want to do an R1 throttle mod. You can get WOT with 1/4 turn. Cheap and easy to do. Install time is about 1 beer
I've heard of this before. Will they fit on an 04 gixxer 750? Is it just the throttle tube or the whole thing with the start button and kill switch? I was thinking of doing a Motion Pro 1/4 turn since mine is a little cracked from a low-side in August. This sounds like it would be cheaper.

Oh, and Lean.In, I'm jealous of your organization skills too. My garage looks like a tornado went through it. If you do have OCD I'd love to lock you in there for a few hours and then open the overhead door and everything be perfect. Sooo if you're ever in the Chicago area stop on by.

Saltman

mike27;160297 wrote: I've heard of this before. Will they fit on an 04 gixxer 750? Is it just the throttle tube or the whole thing with the start button and kill switch? I was thinking of doing a Motion Pro 1/4 turn since mine is a little cracked from a low-side in August. This sounds like it would be cheaper.
Yes, it will fit. It's just the throttle tube. Sent you a PM of a a DIY link for installment.

Back on topic... OP, keep up the good work!

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Yep..a Yamaha throttle tube is a SUPER cheap and easy quicker turn throttle than the OEM Zook throttle tubes. About $12 usually.