Lean.In - My trackbike thread

Lean.In.

Ill def. add the Yammi throttle mod to the list...any links to the procedure? Ahhh...Ill just search. Thanks for all the comments and advice. Mike27, I cant just do it for anyone..ha. Its just when its my stuff that I get a little OCD...Someone elses stuff I couldnt care less. haha...sorry man. It just takes a little discipline!

Saltman

Lean.In.;160653 wrote: Ill def. add the Yammi throttle mod to the list...any links to the procedure? Ahhh...Ill just search. Thanks for all the comments and advice. Mike27, I cant just do it for anyone..ha. Its just when its my stuff that I get a little OCD...Someone elses stuff I couldnt care less. haha...sorry man. It just takes a little discipline!
PM'd ya the link.

Lean.In.

Question: Im taller, about 6'2". Should I adjust my suspension differently than others not as tall? I was going to shim the rear shock about 6mm (what I have read is a good starting point) and flush the forks in the upper tripple, but should I wait until Ive ridden it without shimming it and go from there? I have a 190/55 on the back so Ive heard shimming helps regain any turn in lost moving to a larger rear but I dont know if I should start at 6 and go from there or leave it as is and go from there.

Thanks!

ERB68

Lean.In.;161656 wrote: Question: Im taller, about 6'2". Should I adjust my suspension differently than others not as tall? I was going to shim the rear shock about 6mm (what I have read is a good starting point) and flush the forks in the upper tripple, but should I wait until Ive ridden it without shimming it and go from there? I have a 190/55 on the back so Ive heard shimming helps regain any turn in lost moving to a larger rear but I dont know if I should start at 6 and go from there or leave it as is and go from there.

Thanks!
I recently switched to a GSXR and the word I heard was raise the front and rear 8mm. You have to get fork extender caps to raise the front that far. I was told to raise the front and rear the same amount. This info came from a very reliable source(Robert Jensen).

As to your height, that is not a factor. Setting the suspension and the ride height are to different things. Your weight will determine the springs needed. Ride height is relative to chassis geometry(whole new can of worms).

I would just have the suspension set up for your weight and ride it.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Sounds like someone sent you a link for installing the R1/R6 throttle tube, but if not, searching on www.gixxer.com will yield results. I did the R1 on my '07 gixxer 600 and it's a nice improvement. I found the radiator to be more susceptible to stone dings than any other bike I've owned. As with other bikes I've had, I installed a Cox radiator guard. Zero problems with air flow.

Lean.In.

ERB68;161665 wrote: I recently switched to a GSXR and the word I heard was raise the front and rear 8mm. You have to get fork extender caps to raise the front that far. I was told to raise the front and rear the same amount. This info came from a very reliable source(Robert Jensen).

As to your height, that is not a factor. Setting the suspension and the ride height are to different things. Your weight will determine the springs needed. Ride height is relative to chassis geometry(whole new can of worms).

I would just have the suspension set up for your weight and ride it.
Did you raise yours?? I guess the thing is I havent ridden this for any length of time yet so I dont know how it handles as is, but I hear about tons of people (especially those with the bigger back tire) shimming the rear and dropping the forks so I didnt know if I should go ahead and shim the rear while the bike is apart. I already removed the rear shock once just to clean it and it didnt take that long to do, but with a rear tire on I dont know how much more difficult that may be...

I know preload and everything depend on my weight alone, I just never really heard anyone say if height mattered for some reason. Like with my head out and me off the bike in a turn, I may be way further out off the bike than someone shorter so that may affect something...I guess thats where trial and error setup will come in to play.

HondaGal, I was sent the link, but it required a password or something to get onto it, so I havent messed with it. I have looked it up and there are a lot of threads so Im sure Ill be alright. I read there is a dif bw doing the R6 and R1 throttles...one has less turn to WOT than the other...did that factor into why you used and R1?

Also, this radiator is SOFT!! That and it sticks down way further than the one on my CBR. Im going to be doing the rad guard for sure.

ERB68

Lean.In.;161681 wrote: Did you raise yours?? I guess the thing is I havent ridden this for any length of time yet so I dont know how it handles as is, but I hear about tons of people (especially those with the bigger back tire) shimming the rear and dropping the forks so I didnt know if I should go ahead and shim the rear while the bike is apart. I already removed the rear shock once just to clean it and it didnt take that long to do, but with a rear tire on I dont know how much more difficult that may be...

I know preload and everything depend on my weight alone, I just never really heard anyone say if height mattered for some reason. Like with my head out and me off the bike in a turn, I may be way further out off the bike than someone shorter so that may affect something...I guess thats where trial and error setup will come in to play.
When I bought my bike it was from a friend who is much smaller than me. As I got used to the bike and going faster on it, it became obvious I needed stronger springs. As I changed springs and the front of the bike stayed up better it became apparent the bike would change direction easier.
I have not had the time to shim and install the fork extender caps yet. That is my winter project along with other maintenance.

Preload is not everything but it is very important. Before you can tune anything else the preload needs to be correct.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Lean.In.;161681 wrote:
HondaGal, I was sent the link, but it required a password or something to get onto it, so I havent messed with it. I have looked it up and there are a lot of threads so Im sure Ill be alright. I read there is a dif bw doing the R6 and R1 throttles...one has less turn to WOT than the other...did that factor into why you used and R1?

Also, this radiator is SOFT!! That and it sticks down way further than the one on my CBR. Im going to be doing the rad guard for sure.
I think the first info I saw was about using the R1 tube, so that's what I did as I hadn't read about both. I think the R6 tube has a shorter turn. The R1 is working fine for me, maybe if I'd seen the info about the R6 I'd have tried it. But, for ~12 bucks, probably not a big deal to get both and see which you like better. I saved the instructions from gixxer.com as a word doc., it's too big to attach here, but if you PM me your email address, I'd be happy to send it to you.

Twiztedjester55

I did the R1 tube on my 04 GSXR 1000 made a nice difference. I did the R6 tube on my 06 GSXR 600 was even better than the R1 tube. The R1 required no mods, the R6 tube I had to dremel out just a little plastic from inside the throttle housing for the bigger cam to clear and turn freely.

Lean.In.

Its been a bit....

Maintenance:
Got all the fins on the radiator straightened out. Reinstalled it, flushed the system, added anti-freeze and distilled water to the system for the winter. Also added fuel stabilizer to the gas tank. Ran the bike for a few to circulate the fluids. Disassembled the rear wheel completely (minus the bearings which were good) and cleaned and lubed all the components. I reassembled it and reinstalled it on the bike so the tail end is done. For fun I removed the rear shock at one point to see how easy/hard adding shims would be...its not going to be a problem. But Im going to leave it as is and learn the bike and then make changes.

I also added a radiator guard that daddyfriedrich from the board made for me...If you need one, I highly recommend his work and I will be glad to answer you questions and refer you to him.

As it sits:
P1000337.jpg

P1000335.jpg

P1000336.jpg

I added mesh to the lower that will overlap the bottom of this guard and keep crap from flying into the headers/bottom of the rad/lower.

Lean.In.

I also torque-sealed a lot of important bolts and hardware on the bike. For those who dont know what that is, its a small glob of goo you place on the mounting surface and bolt head and it dries. If the torque seal is broken, you know that the bolt is backing out. Its a great quick reference for loose hardware. Example below:

P1000338.jpg

P1000339.jpg

Lean.In.

I just got my suit in. This is my first suit and I did a lot of research. I ordered an RS Taichi Blast Viper EVO suit in a Japanese size for my tall skinny ass. Im 6'2" and 170-175. So I talked to a guy at a shop I know and his rep said the Jap sized suits are made one at a time so she asked for some other measurements to tailor it to me better. So I basically got a custom suit which is cool...it fits beautifully. At the time I ordered, there was a special to get the GP EVO gloves for free and since those were the gloves I was going to order for sure, I couldnt pass up the deal. I tried the gloves on at the Indy GP and fell in love. So I ordered all this in late October and finally got it on the 23rd of Dec...kind of an early Christmas present to myself. This being my first suit and a lot of money, Ive tried it on like 10 times already...haha. This has got to be one of the coolest things Ive ever bought.

suit.jpg

Gloves.jpg

Needless to say, Im frickin pumped about getting on a track.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
Lean In,
Seems like you're more than ready to get out there...it won't be long now!!