Let's talk about using the rear brake

Flatlanders... :p

You coming to Road A?
Pretty sure I’ll be up for the 01 Sep date.

Can’t make this weekend. All kinds of house chores with my sister and family visiting next week. Gotta put a blue tarp on the roof and a new Sears catalog in the outhouse.

ATP work?
If so, I'm down to help out with anything you guys need later too. Gonna be a great weekend.
Yes but I’m shadowing AJ so check in with him for guidance. It’ll probably be another couple of ATP sessions before he’s confident I’m not like the uncle that volunteers to be Santa then shows up drunk, talks about his three ex-Mrs Clauses, his plans for venison steaks out of Blitzen and just generally scarring the children for life.

Am I off the preferred line? I think we were talking about Ken Hill’s favorite brake pads or something.

meanstrk

Control Rider
I’m probably biased but Ken Hill rates much higher in my book than Dave Moss.

Ken Hill’s in the MA paddock as a team principal and a sought after coach amongst race-winning riders. During winter training last season I bumped into Ken coaching an MA racer at a track and he (Ken) was within a second of the lap record. I don’t hear anything like that about Dave Moss.

Dave Moss does have something to offer (suspension advice) but I think he’s mainly popular amongst folks who are just getting started or who need remote support. My sense from forum chatter is Dave Moss will have his customers thinking they need to keep coming back to him for micro-adjustments (engineered dependency). I prefer to deal with folks that are going to sell me a service that includes training for self-sufficiency.

If I need better suspension help than what I’ve got at my local shop, I’ll find Kendall from TTT (kendall@tripletsuspension.com) or go to Dave at Pitlane Moto. Face-to-face service almost always beats online consultation.

All that said, I sincerely wish Dave Moss a successful battle against his health issues and a speedy recovery.
I have a pretty inherent dislike for Moss. He has his place for sure, but it ain’t in a track paddock. I dealt with his “engineered dependence “ when I was crew chief and his recommendations to the rider were not helping and killing tires. I made my own changes and sent him out and not only was he 1.5 seconds faster, he stopped killing tires too.

adotjdot

Control Rider
ATP/3C
Back to the original topic, both Ken Hill's and Nick's videos about rear brake usage are very valid. Ken was one of the principle instructors at YCRS after Nick took it over from Freddie Spencer.

I will be down at CMP next weekend running the ATP with Dave and Brendon. Please feel free to come find me and we can chat more about rear brake or any other topic!

Bottom line is yes, it can be a very useful tool. Lots of potential places it can be used. But I would also agree with a previous comment here, not a huge priority when it comes to aggressive track riding. We can see a much bigger benefit from building skill with the front brake before we start playing with the rear brake. Larger, heavier and longer wheelbase bikes like touring bikes, baggers, etc, will see more benefit from using the rear because there is not as much weight transfer when braking.

Again, great reference videos that were posted above but happy to chat in person!

domarena33

Track Day Superstar
Back to the original topic, both Ken Hill's and Nick's videos about rear brake usage are very valid. Ken was one of the principle instructors at YCRS after Nick took it over from Freddie Spencer.

I will be down at CMP next weekend running the ATP with Dave and Brendon. Please feel free to come find me and we can chat more about rear brake or any other topic!

Bottom line is yes, it can be a very useful tool. Lots of potential places it can be used. But I would also agree with a previous comment here, not a huge priority when it comes to aggressive track riding. We can see a much bigger benefit from building skill with the front brake before we start playing with the rear brake. Larger, heavier and longer wheelbase bikes like touring bikes, baggers, etc, will see more benefit from using the rear because there is not as much weight transfer when braking.

Again, great reference videos that were posted above but happy to chat in person!
Im registered for the ATP. I look forward to riding with you!