locks and security for trailers

trekuhl

Control Rider
getting my first trailer in a couple weeks and im already thinking about how to secure both the contents and the entire trailer. i was searching on here and wera but not coming up with as much as i hoped.

now obviosuly if a thief really wants something they are gonna get it :-/ but i was wondering if there are any recommendations for the locks that go on trailer doors like this round style vs this style

since i live in a townhome community thats somewhat urban area i was also looking at a wheel lock when the trailer is in my driveway to further deter thieves...as well as locking the coupler, etc.

any tips for a newbie trailer owner?

thx,

-trey

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
It's true that if somebody wants it, they'll get it.
I have a 7x14 enclosed with a ramp door and side door. I use the round style on the ramp lock hasps, and have a couple latches on the inside for the side door.
Also put a coupler lock, and have a really long cable lock that I run through one of the wheel rim holes, around the axle a couple times, to the other wheel.

Another thing somebody pointed out to me is that theft is more likely if there's an indication of what is (or potentially) in the trailer. So I put absolutely ZERO stickers on the outside of it. It's cool to see race trailers all stickered up, but then people know exactly what the jackpot could be.

This has worked for me so far. If at all possible when I'm travelling, I try to find parking that I can leave the trailer hooked to my truck, because I have an alarm sensor hooked into the electric plug.

trekuhl

Control Rider
ninjamansc;107363 wrote: It's true that if somebody wants it, they'll get it.
I have a 7x14 enclosed with a ramp door and side door. I use the round style on the ramp lock hasps, and have a couple latches on the inside for the side door.
Also put a coupler lock, and have a really long cable lock that I run through one of the wheel rim holes, around the axle a couple times, to the other wheel.

Another thing somebody pointed out to me is that theft is more likely if there's an indication of what is (or potentially) in the trailer. So I put absolutely ZERO stickers on the outside of it. It's cool to see race trailers all stickered up, but then people know exactly what the jackpot could be.

This has worked for me so far. If at all possible when I'm travelling, I try to find parking that I can leave the trailer hooked to my truck, because I have an alarm sensor hooked into the electric plug.
do you have diff keys for all your locks?? that could really start to be a pain...good idea on stringing something to the rims.

yea back in the day i would never put stereo equip stickers on my cars we'd call em "steal-me stickers" as every thief would know what amp/subs you had in there :)

of course ive got enough stickers on the back of my truck window they would still figure it out.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
For the trailer door locks, get a type that has the shackle covered, so that bolt cutters won't fit in. Depending on where you purchase them, you can get them all keyed alike. I did that, I have the 3 locks all the same key (side door, 2 on back ramp door).

I have a small gorilla padlock that goes through the hole on the trailer receiver instead of a trailer pin (always tow with a lock through there or at very least a pin).

I also have a lock through the receiver, to lock the hitch ball onto my truck.

When parked, I have a gorilla lock that slides over the trailer coupler, blocking the hole the ball fits into.

I like the idea of a cable around the wheels, I have one of those big kryptonite things that may work. I'd purchased one of those boot-style wheel locks, but the hubs on my wheels stick out too far so it didn't work.

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
When you go to Home Depot look at the back of the packaging and they will list the key code. If you need more than one, just buy ones with the same code and the keys will all be the same. I have three weather resistant plastic covered locks for the doors and a gorilla lock for the coupler. I've also got a cable and lock for the spare tire. My neighborhood is pretty safe and I've never had a problem before, knock on wood! I've even left the side door open for a day and nothing happened.

In all I have three keys for my trailer (doors, coupler & receiver). I 've never had an issue with dealing with three keys, as long as you remember to take them with you when you travel. Right Lenny?

Motofun352

Control Rider
It all depends on the type of hasp on your trailer. For my rear door ramp, which has the standard bar that rotates from the corner and over the hasp...I use a cylindrical lock that looks like a hockey puck. It totally covers the hasp so there nothing exposed. The only way I can see to defeat it would be with a torch or a grinder......no one be taking any hints out there! :doh:

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
This is a great thread...I got a few ideas out of it.

Congrats on the new trailer, Amigo.

All the ideas so far are helpful..another idea, if you're worried about your neighborhood may be to put your trailer in a open storage lot. I keep mine in one so's to not annoy the neighbors with my trailer's presence in the street. The facility that keeps mine is security locked with a razor fence around it, cameras everywhere, it's behind a cement plant in an industrial park, and it's tucked away out of sight.

It costs me a little, but I kind of think it's worth it.

emry

Just remeber to think about what the "weak link" is. Very often the swinging bar can easily be pryed away, they are often held in with wood screws..:doh: (low cost trailers normally)

Most hardened locks are a pain to use bolt cutters on, but the loop it goes though is not. Anyone remeber those steering wheel locks "The CLUB" that were so popular - the smallest bolt cutter would cut through the steering wheel and then the club would be pulled out intact.

Don't forget to lock your hitch to your truck also. It is useless to lock the trailer hitch when the theieves can pull the pin take your trailer and hitch!!! :eek:

As you stated, if they want it they will get it. But as you increase the hassle factor your increase your saftey. I used to cable lock my trailer to a hardened loop (just a big lock loop) that was expoxied into the driveway.

Matt H

To add to this discussion, you can buy a wheel boot fairly cheaply. I'll have to dig-up the website where I purchased mine.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Matt H;108212 wrote: To add to this discussion, you can buy a wheel boot fairly cheaply. I'll have to dig-up the website where I purchased mine.
I had purchased one of these, but the hubs on my trailer wheels stick out too much, so I couldn't use it. Just something to be aware of if you want to get one....

xrated

Here is a picture of the type that I use....

Cabelas has them for $64
s7_012240_imageset_01

trekuhl

Control Rider
i picked up 3 of the round style masterlocks carbide/titanium. they were recycled from the dead t600 terminators in the salvation movie. picked up the locking ball into reciever deal too for trailer side when disconnected...

also picked up a locking pin for the receiver hitch on truck side but waiting see what lock to get for the doohickey that clamps down on the ball. they had a combo set with the receiver pin and a dinky little lock for the doohickey but it was a DINKY lock. figured be best get better lock for it.

those are good tips on the hasp where locks go, will have to check those out and see how weak they are... also the screws for the swinging bar...hmmm

maybe im just going overboard. but like emry said increase the hassle factor and they'll hopefully move on to an easier target.

thx guys. :D

Matt H

Meat;109161 wrote: Matt,

Is that cable as easy to get to as it appears in the pics on the website?
The cable clamp is unnecesary, and just extra secures the device to the trailer. The device itself is a boot that secures to the tire and prevents moving. I don't know, maybe someone would swap the wheel to steal the trailer, and the cable keeps the locked wheel to the trailer??

dammyneckhurts

I have been thinking about getting a magnetic sign and just put it on the trailer when I am parked somewhere that I am worried about security....I thought this might work:

Browns Sewage Disposal