Looking for a good generator to start with

USMC_10

Interesting post on the Kipor. Nice features and price, although I've never heard of them before. Maybe for a reason...? I do agree with your comments on the Yamaha. They are good...and priced right too. I think I'm about to jump in and buy one.

MrK

Yea the yamaha is a sure bet if its within your budget. I'm gonna give the ryobi a go.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
There's a thread on the WERA forum about a guy and his Ryobi blowing up...pretty sure he returned it and bought a Yamaha or Honda.

This thread comes up pretty often, and the end result is always the same - can't beat the Yamaha/Honda. You do get what you pay for.

I'll never understand the people that buy a brand new motorcycle to ride on the track, showing up on their $16-$20k Ducati, Aprilia, Triumph, what have you...and roll out a Harbor Freight generator.

MrK

Basically because its not something you use often. And people just want the best deal. Also you can just go to home Depot and pick up the ryobi I dont know who carries the yamaha. Why you gotta take jabs at the duc lol.

motorkas

Otto Man;283885 wrote: There's a thread on the WERA forum about a guy and his Ryobi blowing up...pretty sure he returned it and bought a Yamaha or Honda.

This thread comes up pretty often, and the end result is always the same - can't beat the Yamaha/Honda. You do get what you pay for.

I'll never understand the people that buy a brand new motorcycle to ride on the track, showing up on their $16-$20k Ducati, Aprilia, Triumph, what have you...and roll out a Harbor Freight generator.
soooooooooo, my generator saga. . .bought a Ryobi on 5-26-13 just for track days. . .super quiet, ran like a charm. . .if I could get it started (which I rarely could - would constantly end up flooding it and it took a minimum of 6-8 pulls for me to get it started). Finally at Jeff - went to try to start it - wouldn't start - called over someone in the pits to give it a try and cord came out and never went back. I honestly don't let one unit affect my perception but when I returned it, I knew I needed more power for when my brother and I are at the track so I went with a 3250 powermate from home depot (I think 350.00) - started up everytime with one pull but after two TD, went to start it and the starter cord pulled right out:wow:. So two generators in two months - different brands, same failure (and yes, home depot did notice that "similarity" as well and almost wouldnt let me return it for another one. . .well this time I got a Rigid at HD (it has a Subaru engine) and so far so good. . .but if I would have gotten the Honda or Yamaha in the beginning I probably wouldn't have had to go this ordeal.

Now - to the questions about new expensive bikes and cheap generators (which I'm totally and completely guilty of:D). . .pretty simple: x amount of dollars made, x amount of dollars allocated for living expenses, x amount of dollars for savings and retirement, x amount for vacations, x amount for "emergencies" that have nothing to do with the others, x amount of dollars for toys. The difference in the Ryobi generator and the Honda's and Yamaha's was pretty much the cost of two new rear tires for my car (which because it's lowered and has a decent amount of power will torch rears in about 7000-8000 miles:argh:). It wasn't the money "saved" - it was the "money that could be used for something else at the moment in the 'toy category' as well".;)

Slow Steve

I hate pushups.
Control Rider
You pulled the cords out of 2 generators?! WOW you must be beefy!:wow: Next time buy the loudest, smokin'est pos you can find & pit next to Dave:D

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
motorkas;284097 wrote:
Now - to the questions about new expensive bikes and cheap generators (which I'm totally and completely guilty of:D). . .pretty simple: x amount of dollars made, x amount of dollars allocated for living expenses, x amount of dollars for savings and retirement, x amount for vacations, x amount for "emergencies" that have nothing to do with the others, x amount of dollars for toys. The difference in the Ryobi generator and the Honda's and Yamaha's was pretty much the cost of two new rear tires for my car (which because it's lowered and has a decent amount of power will torch rears in about 7000-8000 miles:argh:). It wasn't the money "saved" - it was the "money that could be used for something else at the moment in the 'toy category' as well".;)
You could have saved yourself a whole lot of typing and just said "Priorities - Having a reliable, quiet generator was not one of them."

;)

I remember the last time I was at VIR, some guy rolled out his generator that looked like it saw action in World War II, and probably hadn't been cleaned or had the oil change since then. I told him he was more than welcome to use my RV power that I paid for. Partly because I was just being nice...and partly because I didn't want to hear what kind of noises that devil box would have been capable of creating.

beac83

USMC_10;283642 wrote: Can you run 2 sets of Woodcraft tire warmers and a helmet fan off the Ryobi? Or would that be overloading it...
Depends on the warmers. Different manufacturers warmer sets range from 800-900W to more than 1200W a pair.

For Example The Honda EU2000i is rated for 2000W starting load, and 1600W continuous. While it will supply more than that if overloaded, it will then burn some oil while it does that if overloaded for more than a few minutes.

The Yamaha 3000iSEB is rated for 3000W starting, 2600W continuous, IIRC.

I wouldn't ever put 2 sets of warmers on a genny rated at 2000W or less.
On a 3000W genny, 2 sets of warmers are fine.

Now, if the two sets of warmers are NEVER on at the same time, then they can trade off, and run on a lower rated generator.

Pay attention to the continuous rated load, not the starting load (which is always rated higher, and sometimes is used as the advertised wattage).

Overloading a genny will shorten it's life, cause it to burn oil, and create other maintenance problems. It will often also cause the output voltage to be reduced, which can, under certain conditions, damage the items you are running from the generated power.

noobinacan

or worse you may burn our your warmer too.
its not getting the power it needs and is running at a lower wattage...

anyways, just 'GENERATOR' topic just needs a sticky at the top.
and it should say 'don't run your crap genny close to someone, it will piss people off'

Spork

I got both of my Honda eu2000's off CL for $1500 one NIB and one used for 10hrs , Look around you find can deals . There was place selling them for 799/peace last year .

Domiken

After some thoughtful research, I am definitely going with the Yamaha EFS2000iS, unless I find a deal this winter on a used Honda or Yamaha.