mom of 2 wanting to race

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Welcome! Have you done trackdays before, or do you just want to jump right into racing? NESBA is a trackday org, not racing. Many of our members do race with WERA, though. If you've never ridden on the track, you may want to consider doing trackdays before racing.

gkotlin

Whats your age, how old are your kids.

You're really the only one that can answer this question.

Carol Drucker was a Mid-West CR. She didn't start racing till later on when her kids were older and racing.

If you can do it and want to do it. Do it. Live life while you can.

vinny337

Vin is in...Beastmode!
Control Rider
gkotlin;146042 wrote: Whats your age, how old are your kids.

Carol Drucker was a Mid-West CR. She didn't start racing till later on when her kids were older and racing.

:agree: with Greg...Welcome to the NESBA family, now you have more kids than you know what to do with...:D

Mikey75702

skramer56;145998 wrote: debating whether i should do this or not..any and all advice or concerns welcome!
You must be a cool mom..... wish my mom wanted to race bikes....... I say, if you want to go for it, just make sure the kids will be taken care of god forbid something bad happen.

D-Zum

My 13 year old is faster than your President
Dad of 1 here.

If you're a Mom of 2 and are riding in public roads..that's a LOT more dangerous if you ask me.

The track's a MUCH safer, more controlled environment.

bullaboy

As long as you have a good contingency plan, i.e., plan for the worst and hope for the best, go for it. At the end of the day, you can try 1 race, and take it from there.

dbakerpa

Im Jealous of your kids. I would have loved telling my friends my mom was a road racer.
If you decide to go for it -best of luck.

rk97

dbakerpa;146200 wrote: Im Jealous of your kids. I would have loved telling my friends my mom was a road racer.
eh, I'm no parent, but as a former kid, I seem to think that my parents could have been the coolest people in the world, and I still would have been embarrassed by them from ages 12-18ish.

skramer56

HondaGalToo;145999 wrote: Welcome! Have you done trackdays before, or do you just want to jump right into racing? NESBA is a trackday org, not racing. Many of our members do race with WERA, though. If you've never ridden on the track, you may want to consider doing trackdays before racing.
Since i am new to all this and I haven't even ridden in years I'm for all your suggestions. I hope to make it to track day next month, depending on my school schedule.

skramer56

gkotlin;146042 wrote: Whats your age, how old are your kids.

I am 32. my kids are 7 and 14...I know I want to ride, just nervous if now's the best time. I'm focused on my college education right now, but I need a release...like riding.

Hambone

I wish my mom new how to ride a bicycle. But that would have interfered with her smoking and drinking while driving me around in her beat up station wagon. Believe me, track riding and/or racing is a hell of a lot safer and much more socially acceptable.

Seriously, do it but make sure all the proper precautions are taken (ie. life insurance).

DOOOO ITTTT!

ninjamansc

THE Comstock
Control Rider
I'm a father of two, and have realized that there's no "best time" to do something. If you want to do it, make it happen.

skramer56

Hambone;146648 wrote: I wish my mom new how to ride a bicycle. But that would have interfered with her smoking and drinking while driving me around in her beat up station wagon. Believe me, track riding and/or racing is a hell of a lot safer and much more socially acceptable.

Seriously, do it but make sure all the proper precautions are taken (ie. life insurance).

DOOOO ITTTT!
yea wow..been there!!! station wagon and all! thanks for the encouragement!

Mikey75702

ninjamansc;146650 wrote: I'm a father of two, and have realized that there's no "best time" to do something. If you want to do it, make it happen.
+ 100000000000......... have to make sure the family will be taken care of and do what you need to do.

skramer56

Mikey75702;146665 wrote: + 100000000000......... have to make sure the family will be taken care of and do what you need to do.
Absolutley, thanks...never really put that in my thought process

ROCKIT

Um, yeah, just DO IT Honey - you've only got one time on this earth, and when you look back, you'll be glad you went for it. Why? Because the track absolutely ROCKS!!! (Almost) as much fun as you can have at one time, for sure. I didn't start riding a motorcycle till I had two kids. I have a six and a seven year old, and I ride my sportbike anywhere I can as much as I can and with whoever I want :D Make sure you've got good gear. Find some friends to ride around with and learn from; it's the best way to make quick progress. Talk to me if you need to.

skramer56

ROCKIT;146669 wrote: Um, yeah, just DO IT Honey - you've only got one time on this earth, and when you look back, you'll be glad you went for it. Why? Because the track absolutely ROCKS!!! (Almost) as much fun as you can have at one time, for sure. I didn't start riding a motorcycle till I had two kids. I have a six and a seven year old, and I ride my sportbike anywhere I can as much as I can and with whoever I want :D Make sure you've got good gear. Find some friends to ride around with and learn from; it's the best way to make quick progress. Talk to me if you need to.
I'll take you up on that...I got a lot of questions...I'm hoping to get my bike back next year...school's first! I am so anxious it's insane!

chaveezy

Intro sessions are great, doesn't cost a thing, nice easy pace and gets you on the track. Just be prepared to pay for the membership and track day fee because you're going to be smiling so big you won't want it to end!

Sometimes I think it's the worst addiction, I feel like a fiend until I get my next fix, it's on my mind 90% of the day, terrible! I quit riding on the street all together and even got rid of my street bike for a track only setup with a trailer. It's starting to look interesting, I just wish I could do track days every weekend!

NESBA has about the most welcoming community that I've seen, working with the control riders has been such a big help and they are VERY encouraging and supportive in what you want to do. I assume you meant track days when you said "Race", but if you did really want to race in a circuit they can show you exactly how good you have to be, and the first time you go from wide open throttle to 90% brakes at the 3 marker you're going to have an accident in your suit so be prepared, but then it just gets sweeter and sweeter.

The most important thing is to just have fun doing it, maybe your kids will see you riding and get into it to? Wow, then you're really going to have to flip some coin, haha! It's addicting!