mom of 2 wanting to race

gkotlin

Many people enjoy track days just as much as racing. There is not crazy turn 1 starts. There isn't some crazy "fast street guy" that got his license Saturday and comes out to prove something on Sunday. It's a very different game and mindset. It shouldn't be that different. But sometimes it is.

You may look at the FemMoto series. It's for the ladies, the grids are smaller and it's a great way to get your feet wet with less potential drama.

But don't kid yourself. This is a dangerous sport. Many of us have stories we could tell you. You can't control everything on the track. So, saying you'd be careful or courteous with your passes only takes 50% of the situation in to account for each pass you encounter. It's cool to have a mom that races. But those children need you! If they were 17 and 19 it may alter your perspective. This isn't the glamorous cool perspective, but one you definitely need to consider. The general consensus here seems positive. But there are others that would tell you that you're insane to think of doing this.

I'm not trying to rain on your parade. But YOU are the only one that can make this decision and decide if it is the right one for your situation.

Good luck and if you have any questions, let us know. A passion for motorcycles is one thing that all of us here share and love to talk about!

lemondrop

Professional Asphalt Surfer
yep...got my zero-gravity chair ready and waiting....as i said, last time i was at VIR South, I seemed to favor the run-off in T1 :p

noobinacan

lemondrop;146909 wrote: yep...got my zero-gravity chair ready and waiting....as i said, last time i was at VIR South, I seemed to favor the run-off in T1 :p
Iz sure iz very nice...
61601238749904zero.jpg

If you're able to do it then do it :)

Just make sure your kids are well protected "if" anything were to happen. I wouldn't recommend jumping right into racing but instead hit some track days for that great release!!!

AU_R1

I would say at least try it. My wife just graduated and our first is due any time now, but come next season she should be out there for the first time too. I figure I'll get the little one on a dirt bike in four years or so and make it a family thing =)

arhale09

I would also say give it a shot. Better to regret doing something than not doing it, right? But like everybody else, I would caution you to have an airtight contingency plan in place... But lots of parents race and do trackdays.

One thing which I haven't seen mentioned, though, is money. This can be a really expensive hobby. It's worth every penny and more, but we've all given over lots of pennies.