N2 Race School

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
I finally made the move this past weekend and signed up for the N2 Race School at Pitt-Race. I've been doing track days since 2004 and have quite a lot of on-track and off-track experience. I have seen a bunch of my friends "Go Racing" and was always jealous, but enjoyed the track day experience so well it never really mattered. Now that I have a competitive bike that isn't 3 generations old, I thought it might be time to see what this racing thing is all about. That and I'm getting older every year and this has been one of my bucket list items for some time.

Scott Covington and John Hvizdak, both CR's, both accomplished racers were instructors for the school. Most of us who plan to race will either join CCS or Wera. Scott has been racing with CCS and knows their procedures extremely well. John is a Wera racer and is exceptionally knowledgeable about the Wera procedures.

Both guys took half of their day to run the class and go over a lot of information. More so than I expected. With my extensive riding history, I expected the information given to be already known. I was mistaken and learned a great deal about the procedures of a race day.

Scott and John were both great instructors and made the class very enjoyable. They kept the information flowing and were very professional yet keeping it fun. I am glad I finally decided to sign up.

After lunch, we had a mock race so we could see the starting procedures and race procedures. There were 9 riders in the class with a wide range of skill level. It was a blast to say the least. No, it wasn't a real race, and I don't think the adrenaline was kicking like it will be when I finally grid up in a real race, but it was really fun.

If you are on the fence and thinking about racing, I highly reccommend take the class that N2 offers, you will not regret it. Thank you Scott and John for putting together an informative and fun program. Hopefully, I will not embarrass the N2 Racing shirt I wear when I finally grid up!

raineman021

Eric Raine
I definitely want to second that (@Thunderace ^)! I was one of the nine riders in the class on Saturday and I am so glad I signed up and decided to take it. I have been riding with N2 since 2014 and have absolutely loved track day riding along with the people at all of the events I have been able to attend over the past few years. Racing has always interested me and I believe the N2 Race School lays a great foundation for riders with less experience all the way up to a seasoned veteran like Big Jim.

A huge thanks to Scott and John for their time and for sharing their expertise with us on Saturday. It was a smooth balance between understanding the similarities and the differences between what to expect with CCS vs WERA. The mock race was an excellent learning curve to follow up on the classroom training we received - it gives you a taste for what can be expected once you are in the whirlwind of your first race weekend along with the thrill of lining up to grid before the green flag flies. The information I learned and running that mock race has me stoked for the first time I have a chance to run in a WERA or CCS event!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
Having enthusiastic students makes teaching the class that much easier and enjoyable. Hope to see you guys out there on the grids!

Big Gim is going to put a huge hurting on the competition as a Novice. Kind of reminds me when Vinny finally got into racing...maybe I should just give WERA a heads up and make him an Expert from the get go. :D

tdelegram

Control Rider
Having enthusiastic students makes teaching the class that much easier and enjoyable. Hope to see you guys out there on the grids!

Big Gim is going to put a huge hurting on the competition as a Novice. Kind of reminds me when Vinny finally got into racing...maybe I should just give WERA a heads up and make him an Expert from the get go. :D

Yes, straight to expert, we don't need no sandbagers!

See you this weekend on the grid!

Also Scott and John did a great job at main too!

Thunderace

BIG JIM
Control Rider
Nothing planned just yet. Just wanted to get the school out of the way, now I have to figure out which organization suits me better. Then, I'll be out there. If I get to one weekend this year, I'll be happy.

fowlplayracing

Steve
Control Rider
I attended the N2 school last year (but with Huey at RA) and it fully prepares you for race day. All the information was spot on and leaves you with very little to be anxious about. It also helped that Lenny was also there my first race day and reminded me to breath! Racing is different than TDs but going there with the same folks I TD with is the best way I could have done it. I can honestly say that N2 and the N2 race school is why I was able to thoroughly enjoy my very first race experience! Everyone should do it....including you Beth!

HavocCat

Chris
The start was SO MUCH FUN. I am so glad that I made the decision to do this race school. Was absolutely by far one of my best experiences yet with N2.

Been pouring over rule and regulation books (RTFM) all day today trying to decide which organization I want to compete with.

I do know one thing for sure I most DEFINITELY want to race after taking the race school. I wish I would have gotten it recorded.

CBRtist

Wow Jim. Awesome post. Although racing isn't my personal goal, those two must have made for quite the awesome "Team Instructors". From my experiences with them, both are great at listening, being patient, digesting, and then dispensing. All the hallmarks for quality teaching IMO. Maybe they'll help my li'l racer someday.

Eddie

Sounds like you guys did many track day seasons before deciding to race. Would that be the general recommendation?
Last year was my first track day season, but I'm working up the nerve to do at least one race this year. Should I wait?
I'm worried that if I don't do it I'll keep kicking the can down the road. I'll be 39 this year so I got into this a little late.
My best times are in the 22's so far on summit main so I know I'll be at the back of the pack. But, I planned on griding up at the very back anyway.
I'm hoping to improve a bit over the next couple months and maybe do the August race.
Curious what you guys think...

I'll be there this weekend (spectating), hope to see a few of you there!

mpusch

Micah
Sounds like you guys did many track day seasons before deciding to race. Would that be the general recommendation?
Last year was my first track day season, but I'm working up the nerve to do at least one race this year. Should I wait?
I'm worried that if I don't do it I'll keep kicking the can down the road. I'll be 39 this year so I got into this a little late.
My best times are in the 22's so far on summit main so I know I'll be at the back of the pack. But, I planned on griding up at the very back anyway.
I'm hoping to improve a bit over the next couple months and maybe do the August race.

Beginning racing is more about being consistent and predictable than outright speed (though that doesn't hurt :D). If a goal of yours is to run a race, I'd at least take the race school and see how that feels. There's no commitment to have to go racing just because you took the class.

kappy1000

Control Rider
Director

If you feel the urge to race, go do it. Don't worry whether you think your ready or what your lap times are. Go out and run your line and be predictable, the faster guys will get around you. When you finish you will wonder why you waited so long. Have fun and I bet you will finish higher than you expect!

Otto Man

John
Control Rider

Dude if you're doing 22's at Summit you're already flying. You'll be an extremely competitive Novice. Do it.

Ryan Carson

Control Rider
Yeah, definitely have to thank John and Scott for their time and knowledge. Learned a ton, and can't wait to get out there in July! Btw Scott, your handwriting looks like a 6 year old's :rofl: