Nesba compared to STT

clausiam

I'm new to NESBA; have been riding with STT for a couple years. Will be doing my first NESBA event on 3/1 at Barber.

So what can I expect from a NESBA trackday compared to an STT trackday. What, if any, are the main differences?

dj life

I couldn't tell you the difference between the 2 cause oi have never ridden with STT, but i have ridden with other groups and can say that i like Nesba the best for a couple of reasons.
Nesba is a very organized group they start everything on time no waiting around for CRs to show up or anything like that.
The CRs are there to help you not criticize you. (they may be harsh about it but they most likely are teasing you)
Nesba has a great staff all around they make you feel at home with them. Willing to lend a hand with anything.
90% of the riders that are with Nesba are very cool people not assholes trying to show off and think that they are Matt Mladin or Ben Spies (most CRs think they are though j/k)
You will have a very good time With Nesba you might not even want to go back to STT.
Welcome to Nesba!
Chris

Bluenvy

- you are going to get better and more feedback w/NESBA then STT
- the groups are faster then STT's
- NESBA is more exspensive
- NESBA is very structured

jpj

I am sure you'll get a lot of response from this. I have done trackdays w/STT also. NESBA doesn't run Mid-Ohio which is the closest track for myself. If you are in the "B" (NESBA) group or Novice w/STT, you'll immediately notice a much faster pace. No more follow the leader, as STT does. NESBA control riders are traffic management and coaches at the same time. All ya' have to do is ask for some help. I prefer to do trackdays with NESBA , but with,planning, time constraints and scheduling, I will ride with both clubs.

Bluenvy

jpj;35688 wrote: I am sure you'll get a lot of response from this. I have done trackdays w/STT also. NESBA doesn't run Mid-Ohio which is the closest track for myself. If you are in the "B" (NESBA) group or Novice w/STT, you'll immediately notice a much faster pace. No more follow the leader, as STT does. NESBA control riders are traffic management and coaches at the same time. All ya' have to do is ask for some help. I prefer to do trackdays with NESBA , but with,planning, time constraints and scheduling, I will ride with both clubs.

:agree: both will work, it just depends what works for you

RyanITV

Admin
NESBA uses more cones... just what I've heard, never did the STT thing, so I can't say for sure.

Ryan

Bluenvy

STT isnt bad, it just seems like its a go out and do your own thing kind of deal, while NESBA is more of a go out and learn kind of deal

darth nater

Staff member
Control Rider
N2
Bluenvy;35681 wrote: - you are going to get better and more feedback w/NESBA then STT
- the groups are faster then STT's
- NESBA is more exspensive
- NESBA is very structured
You know...for a college kid you sure have a lot of grammatical errors.

then -> than
exspensive -> expensive

:flipoff::flipoff:

I have never done a trackday with STT, so I have no input. I just wanted to bust on Justin.

PJZOCC624

I did a day with STT last year at Jersey. What I noticed.... (from the "I" group)

There is a much bigger disparity in range of talent in STT's "I" group. The slower riders were too slow to be safe at times (not just slow, but difficulty holding their lines, getting spooked easily, not being consistent), and the faster riders were way too aggressive. The coaches were there, but they didn't go out of their way to seek you out or be helpful. Passing is allowed inside and outside, but must give a 6-foot cushion between you and other rider (might not be SIX foot but something like that... either way, it was not strictly enforced...). Things got a little hairy when there was a pack of bikes all fuster-clucked together, with the fast guys being too aggressive and the slow guys being too tentative. But, when the track thinned out, it wasn't nearly as dicey.

From what I saw of the "B" group at STT, it seemed like that group was a little more structured than NESBA's. It looked like you had the same instructor/coach for the entire day.

The people in the paddock were friendly enough. The STT folks were too. The biggest difference I saw was the willingness of the CRs to help out, and the structure of the groups. NESBA certainly monitors and controls its intermediate group more closely than STT, which is a big plus, especially when you have the wide a range in talent in that group. With NESBA, I'm solidly planted in the "I" group, but with STT I would be more comfortable in the "A" group.

clausiam

Thanks for the responses. With STT I just moved up to the Intermediate/B group after having run Novice for a while. I expected to be at the bottom of the pack but was surprised to be a midpack rider (it may just have been a slow day, who knows). Since a lot of you say that NESBA's groups are faster I wonder by how much? I run about 1:50 - 1:52 at Barber.

beac83

My experience is pretty much like PJ's. I did a STT day last year [my first track season] because it fit my schedule. Their Novice group is more structured than the NESBA Beginner group. However, even in their N group, I received less direct feedback than I typically do in the NESBA B group. My experience indicated that the STT folks are more interested in speed, while NESBA is more interested in proper form and technique which results in speed.

That said, my view is that in NESBA you have to do the work. You must seek out CR's and ask questions of them and the other riders in the Paddock. NESBA's culture expects the rider to put more effort into the trackday learning process than I experienced with STT. If you seek improvement and learning, NESBA will deliver. But you have to put the effort in to get anything out. [This type of setup suits me better as it's closer to the culture I was raised with.]

So it's not surprising that the largest difference I experienced was the people. I've never had a question get pushed off or go unanswered at a NESBA trackday. I've never had trouble finding/borrowing tools, parts, technical assistance with the bike, etc. either. Everyone, fellow riders, CR's, corner staff, trackside support/vending, etc. all seem more willing to give to others at NESBA days. It's the attitude.

I likely will ride with STT at times in the future when my addiction demands attention and the schedule makes it possible, but my first preference is to ride with NESBA.

Welcome to NESBA. Enjoy Barber.

Carlos Escobar

You are on the Nesba board asking whos better. Thats funny.. kinda like goin on CCS board and asking who better, wera or ccs?

kd83

I think both have a lot to offer, and both are great org's. STT is N is def a follow the leader type of deal and its ride and classroom the whole day long. So its preach and practice which works well for some. Nesba B on the other hand is ride and correct as you go through out the day. Then mid day if your lucky the great lenny will do a body position clinic. So depending what works best for you, but i agree that nesba B pace is a lot faster then STT N.

Once you get to I in STT, the coaching dramatically reduces and there is maybe 1 or 2 CR's out there where nesba you still have the 4 that run with the group and provide feedback. However with STT you can pass inside and out where with nesba only the outside.

I don't think much needs to be said for A on either org's.

Somethings STT does offer that nesba doesn't is your able to take part in racing schools to get your wera licens. They have a lot of different formats of track days, some are the open sed days like nesba. Some days are just I and A where you run 30 min sessions. STT does offer a night event down at Nashville speedway. Stt runs a 11 to dusk days for a reduced price.

You just have to look around and see what org provides you most of what your looking for.

I just ride both and get the best of both worlds

rk97

No one has mentioned crash insurance (or lack thereof with STT), or the fact that NESBA is not-for-profit, while STT is a business. There are certainly advantages to both groups.

I'll echo what others have said - I've done about an equal number of days with NESBA and STT. the biggest difference is that STT lets you choose your group, which I strongly dislike. To their credit, I have seen them bump someone down from "I" to "N," but not nearly often enough.

What you end up with is that NESBA has very new riders, and pretty fast riders in "B" because NESBA's "I" group is a real accomplishment to get into.

The range of talent with STT is in their "I" group for two reasons: 1) you're allowed to move up to "I" whenever you want, and 2) they have sooooo much structure in "N" that some people can't wait to get the hell out of there.

Lenny ZX9R

Control Rider
Just remember one thing, we're here for you! Thanks for the props Kyle!:cheers: I'm just one of the folks who do the Body Position Class. Buck, and the other CRs do a great job of explaining the how and whys of how you should be on the bike!

Davisjk

PJZOCC17;35711 wrote: I did a day with STT last year at Jersey. What I noticed.... (from the "I" group)

There is a much bigger disparity in range of talent in STT's "I" group. The slower riders were too slow to be safe at times (not just slow, but difficulty holding their lines, getting spooked easily, not being consistent), and the faster riders were way too aggressive. The coaches were there, but they didn't go out of their way to seek you out or be helpful. Passing is allowed inside and outside, but must give a 6-foot cushion between you and other rider (might not be SIX foot but something like that... either way, it was not strictly enforced...). Things got a little hairy when there was a pack of bikes all fuster-clucked together, with the fast guys being too aggressive and the slow guys being too tentative. But, when the track thinned out, it wasn't nearly as dicey.

From what I saw of the "B" group at STT, it seemed like that group was a little more structured than NESBA's. It looked like you had the same instructor/coach for the entire day.

The people in the paddock were friendly enough. The STT folks were too. The biggest difference I saw was the willingness of the CRs to help out, and the structure of the groups. NESBA certainly monitors and controls its intermediate group more closely than STT, which is a big plus, especially when you have the wide a range in talent in that group. With NESBA, I'm solidly planted in the "I" group, but with STT I would be more comfortable in the "A" group.
Sorry meant to put quote i agree with PJ:D