NESBA Needs To put out a BEACON at all trackdays.

Fly Guy 333

I was disapointed that there was no Beacon put out for the Saturday at NJMP Lightning run. Why does NESBA no longer provide a Beacon?

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
I was getting lap times on Saturday afternoon. Usually someone has one and puts it out. Not sure about Sunday though. Moon sells transponders if you are interested in purchasing one. This way there will always be one at your events.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
Yup, normally one is out there. Maybe no one bothered on Sunday because of the rain? They're not very waterproof, I don't think. At 99.9% of the events I've been to, someone has put one out

Fly Guy 333

Jim those times you were getting was from the Beacon I put out at turn 5 then move to Start /Finish. It was brand new out of the box but was acting funny. We got some laps didn't get others. Im not sure why. I was running it on AA batteries rather than a 12V. hook up.

I suspect like most of these trackday issues we will have to provide for ourselves. I just wanna know what to be prepared for. They used to have the Beacons out. Just trying to get insight as to why that changed.

Fly Guy 333

Jonny,

I'm actually right there with ya. I have the Starlane GPS timer. I had never used it and there was a bit of set up involved so I opted to go OLD SCHOOL until that evening when i could fuigure it out.

I actually found a rider named Chris at the track on a (((R in the I group that gave nme a tutorial. Needless to say I didnt need it for Sunday.

My boys will still use the Beacon. I will get a 12V. battery for it as well as a Tri Pod and see if tyat helps. Like I said I am fully committed to the idea that I have to do for myself and if you get some laptimes thats OK too.

RyanITV

Admin
Don't blame NESBA - blame those of us with beacons who switched over to GPS-based timers.

My beacon has been sitting in my trailer, collecting dust all season...

Ryan

Landshark

Control Rider
If the ORG provides the beacon doesn't that make it a timed event? I know my insurance has specific language about timed events. If a member provides it and you use it that's another story.
Timers and pucks seem to be things that are critical when you are somewhat new to this. After a bit those pucks last forever and the timer breaks. Funny thing is you don't care about them as much. It's a nice thing to have to play but a timer can also be your worst enemy.

HondaGalToo

Control Rider
I have a beacon, I only needed to use it once, but if one isn't out at the events I'm at, I'll be happy to put mine out. I've got a 12v battery and tripod for it, too.

Fly Guy 333

Troy - The Timer being the worst thing is about the rider. I guess its the argument the Killer or the gun. The instrument is just that. It will only be what you allow it to be. For someone in the A group trying to improve it is vital. It will show if the changes you are making are helping you go faster or slower.

I understand where your coming from though based on some of the questions/comments i've heard in the various Riders meetings.

crewnutz

Fly Guy 333;56355 wrote: I hear that. Wouldnt have worked for me this weekend. No one passed me. Maybe you better come out next time.

sure.........whatever floats your boat

i was there Sunday for the rain..........you just missed me :)

jcurtis

Control Rider
N2
Fly Guy 333;56196 wrote: Jim those times you were getting was from the Beacon I put out at turn 5 then move to Start /Finish. It was brand new out of the box but was acting funny. We got some laps didn't get others. Im not sure why. I was running it on AA batteries rather than a 12V. hook up.

I suspect like most of these trackday issues we will have to provide for ourselves. I just wanna know what to be prepared for. They used to have the Beacons out. Just trying to get insight as to why that changed.
Aaaaah.... that explains a lot.. I noticed that it would max out during the session. A couple times i noticed it and reset it.

Thanks for putting that out, anyway.