New Guy- wondering about bike classes.

DUG

Hello, first- thanks in advance.

Ive been riding with Nesba for a few years and plan to give racing a try next season. Right now I have a 2012 CBR1000 that rolls pretty good, but Ive heard that running a liter bike really limits the number of races you can enter, not to mention it eats tires like a
mother%*&@$^. My questions primarily concerns which displacements you can run in each class.

From what Ive heard, You can run 600s in any class, 750s in middleweights and above, and 1000s against 1000s only???:notsure:

Approximately how may races can you run a 600 vs. 1000 in during a weekend?:notsure:

Any maojor diffence between WERA and CCS on this matter?

I plan on building a bike this winter to run next season and am wondering the best way to go- pickup a 600 or run the 1000... This is essentially a for-fun venture and would like to have the opportunity to run it in more than just a few races per weekend...

Thanks again..

DUG

PJZOCC624

As far as the 1000, for WERA you can run in A-superstock and A-superbike, and F1 (read their rulebook for differences in superstock vs superbike, but short version is you can run a superSTOCK eligible bike in superBIKE but not vice versa). You can also run in Heavyweight Senior if you're over 40.

Yes, a liter bike will burn up tires quicker than a 600.

No, you cannot race a 600 in any class - C,B,A yes, but not D or E, also not F2 or Clubman.

How many races in a weekend? The 1000, you would qualify for the classes above, so theoretically 3 races (4 if you're 40+). A 600 about triples the classes eligible, but really, you're not running a 600 in A-superbike. You CAN, but don't.

WERA vs CCS - as far as racing "up" a class, probably the same but I've not raced with CCS.

My advice: get a race prepped SV650 and have at it. LOTS of classes to run it in, easy on tires, tons of parts available and great close racing. Don't race that 100RR - if you have the means (ie $$) to pick up a race-only bike, get an SV.

DUG

Thanks for the help.. my deductive reasoning had me leaning that way.

Cash isnt that much of an issue, but I just dont see spending alot more money to have the same amount of fun.

Ive ridden SVs before, not bad; unfortuantely at my weight it sounded like it wanted to puke. Ill shop around though...

Any grids ever seem to be under/overloaded according to class?

PJZOCC624

Overloaded grids? Don't know I'd call any of them overloaded anymore, but the 600 class is the most populated - I hesitate to say most "competitive" because all the classes are, but that's most popular.

Least popular probably the E grid or F2, but not what you'd be running in. LWT is quite popular with probably the best pure racing out there - that's where the SV fits in.

Don't shun the SV unless you really didn't like the bike. Based on you saying this is for fun and you wanted "bang for your buck" (to paraphrase), it's definitely a viable choice! Just get it sprung for your weight.

DUG

Got it..

So according to the rules-

Superstock= only the modications listed.

Superbike= almost any modification.

Could you run the same bike in Superstock and Superbike as long as it meets superbike requirements?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a handle on this.

Chad Dupree

Yes, you can run the same bike in both classes as long as you don't run Superbike mods in superstock. To tell you the truth, most people run a superstock bike in Superbike. There are very few people I know that run a full blown Superbike. Just because it limits your classes.

As a novice you could run a 600 in the 1000 class and be competitive. Only really one track in the southeast that's really a horsepower track. Don't forget about the solo races on Saturday with wera. So really, with a 600, you could run a total of 9 races and 10 if your +40.

That's all on one bike, btw.

Otto Man

John
Control Rider
DUG;285184 wrote: Got it..

So according to the rules-

Superstock= only the modications listed.

Superbike= almost any modification.

Could you run the same bike in Superstock and Superbike as long as it meets superbike requirements?

Sorry for all the questions, just trying to get a handle on this.
You can always ride your bike in a more difficult class, but you can't go down. Like he said, you can run your superstock 600 in 600 superbike, 750 superstock, 750 superbike, etc.

You'll find the most common difference between most 600 super stock/super bike is the use of slicks, which aren't allowed in super stock. Yes, while you can have so and so mods done in superbike, honestly, not everyone can afford a built motor. The three classes I race is C superstock, C superbike, and B superstock - and most of the grid is filled with the same people.

Actually...the last 750 race I was in, it was all filled with 600s. LOL

DUG

Yeah that sounds about right...

After all, you can race any 750 you want in the 750cc class> as long as its a SuZOOK...

After skimming the race schedules, it looks like I can run 3X as many races on a 600 vs 1000. Ill probably pick up a left over R6 from the dealer this fall. All of the 600s are so good, yet it seems you can shake spare parts out of a tree for the Yamaha.

MURICAHHH!!!!!